what about ob/gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neilc

i am interested in ob/gyn, but i have a couple negatives going in. first, i am an international student, and second i am male. i would love to hear what stats are needed for ob/gyn. from my research, it looks fairly benign, but if any out there is in the process, i would love to hear how it is going...especially stats from males and imgs.

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

wow, it seems as no one is looking into ob/gyn...looks like it must be an easy match, eh?

or else i am so offensive, nobody wants to talk with me...it is ok, sniff, i can take it!

I'm interested in Ob/Gyn, along with many other things. However, I haven't even started med school yet, and don't know much about what you're asking.

Sorry I couldn't help, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one interested in Ob/Gyn. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like about 20 out of 100 students here are going into OB/GYN and it sounds like it's moderately competitive. I really don't know anything about what's going on this year, just have a lot of friends trying to match and they all seem to have plenty of interviews. As in any specialty there are always some places that are extremely competitive to train at but I'd bet you could get into a program somewhere.

Originally posted by Jim Picotte:
•Seems like about 20 out of 100 students here are going into OB/GYN and it sounds like it's moderately competitive. I really don't know anything about what's going on this year, just have a lot of friends trying to match and they all seem to have plenty of interviews. As in any specialty there are always some places that are extremely competitive to train at but I'd bet you could get into a program somewhere.•••

Wow, 20% at MSU-CHM is applying to OB/GYN! I have never been interested in OB/GYN (although I will have to do a little bit in the ER from time to time) but I've heard that is not as competitive as it used to be. Only one person in my class applied to OB/GYN and I didn't know her well. I did know several male friends at UC Davis applying to OB/GYN and they told me that some programs (Tufts comes to mind) were less than receptive of male applicants. Like Jim said, however, the top programs will be very competitive but you should have no problems matching somewhere.

Do not do an OB/Gyn residency if you are a male. Your job opportunities after residency will be very limited. Plus can you imagine being around a bunch of overworked, underpayed females all day :)

Hey -
Im doing my ob/gyn rotation right now. Seems like its not too hard to get into a residency these days. There are fewer men going into it these days but I dont think that its a reason not to do it if you love it. From what I hear, the hard part for men is getting their practice rolling. It seems that once you have a reputation its fine. There are quite a few men in the program here and they dont seem that worried.
Good luck!
Ann

I am female and am interested in ob/gyn. The only thing that turns me off from it are the hours. To the female obstetricians out there, how do you manage your time between your career and your family?

Originally posted by rad:
•Do not do an OB/Gyn residency if you are a male. Your job opportunities after residency will be very limited. Plus can you imagine being around a bunch of overworked, underpayed females all day :)•••

I'm not sure if this was a joke, but in case it's not, I think that any men interested in OB/GYN should do it. My friends brother is an OB/GYN resident and he says that as long as there is a surgical component to the specialty there will be room for men in the field. Also, lots of women docs are starting to work part time in increasing numbers. Good luck.
-Female MS-2 also interested in OB/GYN