what about the reserves/guard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dm22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question from a newbie;

what if say someone were to go to medical school and civilian residency, then decide they want to serve their country in the military, but part-time, and doing so simply because they wanted to.

Is the reserve forces a good opportunity for that? will the reserves still need MD's in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

dm22 said:
Just a question from a newbie;

what if say someone were to go to medical school and civilian residency, then decide they want to serve their country in the military, but part-time, and doing so simply because they wanted to.

Is the reserve forces a good opportunity for that? will the reserves still need MD's in the future?

ok, i'll bite.

the consensus from the gallery that i can gather is that the reserves as an MD is a really bad idea right now. the reserves very much need MDs right now, just like the entire system needs MDs. the problem is that the chance of being called to active duty/deployment is so high right now, that it will ruin any chance of sustaining a civilian practice. there are some real horror stories out there of reserve docs who've had to fire folks/close their practice/etc. because of deployments. if you're interested in serving as a physician, then you're probably better off an active duty.

colbgw02 said:
ok, i'll bite.

the consensus from the gallery that i can gather is that the reserves as an MD is a really bad idea right now. the reserves very much need MDs right now, just like the entire system needs MDs. the problem is that the chance of being called to active duty/deployment is so high right now, that it will ruin any chance of sustaining a civilian practice. there are some real horror stories out there of reserve docs who've had to fire folks/close their practice/etc. because of deployments. if you're interested in serving as a physician, then you're probably better off an active duty.

I strongly concur with the above. The current truth is this: If you are a select reservist you have better than even odds at being activated for 6-12 months. Unless you have a position that can afford for you to be gone for that period of time, you can't do it. As much as I love being in the military, if I were to get out, I could not in good conscience stay in the active reserves (even for the pension.)

If you want to be military. Go active.