What are EC's that are interesting/make you stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorayah

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the usual clinical volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. Just was curious to know for those already accepted or are applying to med schools, what are some activities you've done that are interesting and you'd think would make you stand out?

I've begun starting a charity event, raising money for refugees. That's the only thing I can think of that's a bit interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you play a musical instrument ? Are you an artist? How about an actor? Student Athlete? Olympic athlete? Professional athlete? Etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I was heavily involved with campus programming during my time in undergrad, specifically working in campus activities and providing resources for other student leaders. In my opinion, it's unique for a pre-med to be part of something like student government or other big leadership roles on campus, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're interested. I was asked about it in all my interviews and think it helped me stand out quite a bit

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing everyone is after now. Sadly the extracurriculars arms race have made it that almost anything you do as a pre-med seems so... Typical. If someone who isn't applying to professional school were to do these same activities, people would look at them in absolute awe.

Reactions: 8 users
I have the usual clinical volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. Just was curious to know for those already accepted or are applying to med schools, what are some activities you've done that are interesting and you'd think would make you stand out?

I've begun starting a charity event, raising money for refugees. That's the only thing I can think of that's a bit interesting.
Honestly, the thing that will make you stand out is not checking boxes and just literally doing what you want to do so long as you are doing something. Wanna join the military? Boom, EC. Wanna be in a metal band called "Toaster Bathers"? Boom, EC. Wanna run up and down the Eiffel tower 13 times to raise money for fingernail cancer? Boom, EC.

Being a premed should be fun, and the thing that will make the largest impression on the most admissions committee members is showing that you did something productive that you wanted to do, you enjoyed doing it, and you gave it your all.

Reactions: 3 users

I have a high regard for:
Habitat for Humanity
Peace Corps
Americorps
TFA
Military service
first responders
Hospice work
nursing home work
camp counselors for sick kids
people who with with the developmentally disabled or the mentally ill.

Reactions: 6 users
What I was asked about most, not in any order:

911 EMT work
Hobby (competitive, non-collegiate sport, not very common)
nursing home volunteering club I had leadership role in

Reactions: 1 users
Habitat for Humanity
Peace Corps
Americorps
TFA
Military service
first responders
Hospice work
nursing home work
In regard to hospice – does it have to be in a hospice facility? Is the one where you just visit patients in their homes still applicable?

Habitat for Humanity
Peace Corps
Americorps
TFA
Military service
first responders
Hospice work
nursing home work
I thought medical students tends to hospice work than undergrads

Are any of these good?
New non-profit with chapters in multiple high schools to raise awareness and funds for various diseases
starting a new club to mentor local science teams
Promoting electric vehicles on social media
participating in cultural activities (different cultures)

Are any of these good?
New non-profit with chapters in multiple high schools to raise awareness and funds for various diseases
starting a new club to mentor local science teams
Promoting electric vehicles on social media
participating in cultural activities (different cultures)
It would be nice to see an applicant getting off campus/out of academia for some of their ECs, but these look nice.

Edit: I am just a premed and only have opinions reflective of what I read on SDN.

It would be nice to see an applicant getting off campus/out of academia for some of their ECs, but these look nice.

Edit: I am just a premed and only have opinions reflective of what I read on SDN.
mentoring is off campus, but academia. other off campus activities are clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked a lot about my artistic and musical activities at my interviews, personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing everyone is after now. Sadly the extracurriculars arms race have made it that almost anything you do as a pre-med seems so... Typical. If someone who isn't applying to professional school were to do these same activities, people would look at them in absolute awe.

Which is exactly why I feel that the measuring stick went back to looking at stats.

Schools are inching up to >522 averages.

UCLA giving everyone below 512 the finger....

What really bothers me the most is that the pre-med phase is becoming longer every decade. I am personally fine with taking gap years. But I fear that 50 years from now a lot of people are going to regret becoming doctors because they won't enter residency till their early thirties. And the last thing our healthcare system needs is a physician workforce that regrets going into medicine :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is exactly why I feel that the measuring stick went back to looking at stats.

Schools are inching up to >522 averages.

UCLA giving everyone below 512 the finger....
That 522 average is just where it was before the switch to the new MCAT. But it is almost impossible mathematically for a school to be >522 average unless they receive a large chunk of the 150 people >524z

Habitat for Humanity
Peace Corps
Americorps
TFA
Military service
first responders
Hospice work
nursing home work
Agree with this. I've also got a soft spot for people who volunteer at animal shelters.

In regard to hospice – does it have to be in a hospice facility? Is the one where you just visit patients in their homes still applicable?
Home hospice is equally regarded in my opinion.

• Love
That 522 average is just where it was before the switch to the new MCAT. But it is almost impossible mathematically for a school to be >522 average unless they receive a large chunk of the 150 people >524z

I wonder how multiple-test date takers weight into the MCAT curve? Because if someone takes the MCAT 3 times and the AAMC puts each of those scores into the curve, then I'd expect an increase in the number of people scoring higher. Especially since those with lower scores are more likely to retake.

Agree with this. I've also got a soft spot for people who volunteer at animal shelters.

Speaking of which, the dog in your avatar is adorable :)

Golden retriever, I'm assuming?

I was heavily involved with campus programming during my time in undergrad, specifically working in campus activities and providing resources for other student leaders. In my opinion, it's unique for a pre-med to be part of something like student government or other big leadership roles on campus, so I'd definitely recommend that if you're interested. I was asked about it in all my interviews and think it helped me stand out quite a bit
The student government in my school is strictly for resume-boosting. There’s about 3 people out of ~25 that actually care about improving student life. I don’t typically take student government seriously.

The student government in my school is strictly for resume-boosting. There’s about 3 people out of ~25 that actually care about improving student life. I don’t typically take student government seriously.

Sorry you had that experience with it. I wasn't actually part of student government itself but worked in an agency that received our funding from SGA via a portion of our activity/service fee. I would regardless recommend these leadership opportunities for anyone looking to get involved with a unique and fun EC. Got a lot of experience with event planning, budgeting, and managing volunteers. Never worked with anyone who viewed it as resume boosting

I've recently been learning more about concepts in front-end development. I took a course in Java and Data structures as part of my undergraduate major, but did not need to learn extensive programming beyond that. I like programming because it seems like there are so many different areas and methods to approach a problem without there being a fixed route. When you get to actually make something simple it also feels incredibly rewarding.

Also, I had a significant period of time of 'frictional' homelessness after being disowned by my parents which involved either staying with friends or living out of my car. So even though I do voluntary hours at a food pantry and clothing provider for those underserved (typical premed activity) it has special meaning to me because it reminds me of my roots when I was growing up.

TFA

Why TFA? TFA is to education like voluntourism is to med schools. It hurts the students and the communities. TFA teachers are not properly trained to go into a difficult classroom and teach which is where they are usually placed. Then they leave the classroom after they do their time (two years if they make it that long) just so they can add the EC to their resume to help get into law school or medical school. I know someone right now who is doing TFA only to help him get into law school. He never expressed a desire to teach prior to walking by a TFA info booth at his university. He had 6 weeks of summer classes and was placed in an inner-city middle school teaching a subject he knew little about which was a complete disaster. He ended up getting transferred to an elementary school (because it was going so badly) which was better, but he is still miserable. One TFA teacher at his school quit mid-year, so he then ended up getting several more students in his class which became severely overcrowded. He has one year left to go. After he leaves the school and his teaching career in the review mirror, the students at his school will get another ill-prepared new TFA “teacher” who will also struggle which impacts the students. Also, TFA keeps wages down for actual educators because TFA teachers are very cheap for districts to hire.

So why do med schools like TFA when it actually hurts the communities that accept TFA teachers much like voluntourism hurts the communities where these voluntourism companies set up shop?

@ak-aka-dak People choosing to teach in low-income and left-behind schools in areas ridden with high crime are providing a service to that community. Are you making the case that those school districts are just stowing away a stash of funds for them to hire highly qualified education gurus who know how to reach those kids? Incredibly curious why you frame TFA as a problem when the alternative solution is for these kids to just quit school altogether and to just start working a corner.

@ak-aka-dak People choosing to teach in low-income and left-behind schools in areas ridden with high crime are providing a service to that community. Are you making the case that those school districts are just stowing away a stash of funds for them to hire highly qualified education gurus who know how to reach those kids? Incredibly curious why you frame TFA as a problem when the alternative solution is for these kids to just quit school altogether and to just start working a corner.

Google is your friend. There is a plethora of reading material online about how bad TFA is for students and teachers (including TFA teachers) which is why many school districts have banned it.

In my opinion, any volunteer activity can be 'interesting enough' if you reflect on it intelligently, and understand the impact of your contribution from multiple points of view. No activity is 'interesting' if you are doing it for brownie points. "Do your little bit of good where you are, it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world" Desmond Tutu.

Google is your friend. There is a plethora of reading material online about how bad TFA is for students and teachers (including TFA teachers) which is why many school districts have banned it.

If school districts are banning it, then they don't need TFA for the service it provides. There are times where any management will come across staffing issues. This is almost analogous to a hospital or a unit suddenly facing a sudden loss of nurses either due to a strike or due to staff wanting to move on to greener pastures e.g. hospital network competitors, specialty units, or going back to school. Hiring outside nurses from outside contracted companies in the case of a strike and travel nurses in the case of a unit seeing a sudden loss of experienced nurses is a needed measure because there are no alternatives. The hospital must provide care for patients, the school must provide education for students.

The articles I read were all opinion pieces about how TFA threatens teacher's unions, is bad for long-term school culture, and how teachers are too young and high friction. But the literal entire concept of TFA is to hire fresh new young grads who want to teach in difficult environments because they want the challenge. The shelf-life for these teachers at maximum is two years, no one can force someone to commit to the full duration of their work contract. For many new graduates, this will literally be their first job and are therefore a high flight risk.

The same thing happens in nursing, there are plenty of times where there will be a young girl not even 20 who finished up a community college program and a combative CIWA patient gets assigned to them because that's unfortunately the lowest acuity on the floor. There are cases where new hires literally just walk out and don't complete a first shift because it's not like the nursing home/assisted living their clinicals were at when they were in school. In addition, there can literally be so much hand holding that you can give to new hires, but you can't motivate them or teach them what it is like to survive in tough environments. Understanding how to survive and find balance in life comes from life experience. There is no way of telling someone who has been living dorm life for four years what living in the inner-city, teaching in the inner-city, or surviving in the inner-city especially in areas of high crime on the East Coast like Baltimore (MD), Camden (NJ), or Harlem (NY) before gentrification.

I don't understand though why you leverage these points against TFA. TFA as far as I'm aware are outside contractors who sell a very clear service to schools that isn't conducive to building up students to be lifelong teachers within that school district, being consistent with the school's culture, or working in conjunction with the teacher's union to support veteran teachers. In my opinion, teachers are facing an oversupply issue with too many college graduates going into an education model that is outdated and serves the needs of the maintaining institutions like the teacher's union and schools rather than giving students the information they actually need to thrive in an increasingly tech driven/analytics oriented world.

Last edited:

I can also use the internet to read about how the Earth is flat and the sun and moon are both 32 miles across.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If school districts are banning it, then they don't need TFA for the service it provides. There are times where any management will come across staffing issues. This is almost analogous to a hospital or a unit suddenly facing a sudden loss of nurses either due to a strike or due to staff wanting to move on to greener pastures e.g. hospital network competitors, specialty units, or going back to school. Hiring outside nurses from outside contracted companies in the case of a strike and travel nurses in the case of a unit seeing a sudden loss of experienced nurses is a needed measure because there are no alternatives. The hospital must provide care for patients, the school must provide education for students.

The articles I read were all opinion pieces about how TFA threatens teacher's unions, is bad for long-term school culture, and how teachers are too young and high friction. But the literal entire concept of TFA is to hire fresh new young grads who want to teach in difficult environments because they want the challenge. If school programs or the students teaching in it don't understand what they signed up for then I don't understand how that's on TFA who operate as outside contractors.

Then you need to keep reading and look at some blogs from TFA teachers who left.

Are you saying then that it is okay for hospitals who are short on nurses to hire people without the proper credentials to step in and be a nurse to ease the shortage? Give Suziewho just graduated with a degree in sociology, a nursing job? Give her 6 weeks of classes and 15 hours of shadowing and she is good to go? Isn’t that what is frowned upon with pre-med students performing medical procedures in other countries when they don’t have the proper credentials to do such procedures?

If it’s not okay to do this with medicine it’s not okay to do this with kids who need actual teachers who have had the proper training and will be there for the long haul. When school districts hire cheap labor, they are less likely to worry about keeping teachers with MA degrees because they are too expensive. The schools don’t get continuity with the ever revolving door of TFA teachers leaving and new TFA teachers cycling in. You have schools with the blind leading the blind at the expense of the students. The good teachers go elsewhere because there are no incentives to work in struggling, difficult schools and the districts turn a blind eye because they can get untrained TFA “teachers” who will swoop in for 1 or 2 years and and struggle to teach at half of the cost to the district.

Thank you all so much for the input, I sincerely appreciate it and will take what you guys say into consideration. :)

Then you need to keep reading and look at some blogs from TFA teachers who left.

Are you saying then that it is okay for hospitals who are short on nurses to hire people without the proper credentials to step in and be a nurse to ease the shortage? Give Suziewho just graduated with a degree in sociology, a nursing job? Give her 6 weeks of classes and 15 hours of shadowing and she is good to go? Isn’t that what is frowned upon with pre-med students performing medical procedures in other countries when they don’t have the proper credentials to do such procedures?

If it’s not okay to do this with medicine it’s not okay to do this with kids who need actual teachers who have had the proper training and will be there for the long haul. When school districts hire cheap labor, they are less likely to worry about keeping teachers with MA degrees because they are too expensive. The schools don’t get continuity with the ever revolving door of TFA teachers leaving and new TFA teachers cycling in. You have schools with the blind leading the blind at the expense of the students. The good teachers go elsewhere because there are no incentives to work in struggling, difficult schools and the districts turn a blind eye because they can get untrained TFA “teachers” who will swoop in for 1 or 2 years and and struggle to teach at half of the cost to the district.

Ed Burns had a storied career with the Homicide and Narcotics division for Baltimore before he decided to retire and become a public school teacher. Do you know his first impression? He compared the experience psychologically to the Vietnam War. The glaring issue with teaching in the inner city is not that the TFA teachers don't have masters or PhD's. It's that a lot of new teachers explanted to tough inner city schools haven't grown up in the inner city. Many of them aren't aware that most of their students are in school because their parents cannot afford to feed them and their biggest barrier to teaching them is providing them with food because their only meal is going to be school lunch. They are not taught how to navigate between the b.s. NCLB curriculum/metrics and what the kids actually are able to learn. These school districts "grandfather" children into grade levels based on their age because they are worried statistically about attrition to the point where their spending is put into hiring attendance guards whose job it is to round up on these kids and see why they are skipping school.

If you think that the root of the problem is a contractor like the TFA, then you need to evaluate the role of a contracted company when it comes to providing a service. These school systems need services like the TFA because they are just that bad. Being able to teach students how to read and do basic algebra is light years ahead of their normal expectation. Having students attend class is beyond normal expectation. Students behaving in class and not starting a fight with another student or just going AWOL is beyond normal expectation. Dealing with curriculum standards that is clearly not designed to give these students a chance and balancing everything else is providing a service to both these school systems and these children. This is not about the "blind leading the blind," teaching in these school districts is about survival for all parties involved.

Hospitals hire credentialed nurses, but nursing education is highly variable. Hospital acuity is highly variable. Nursing work is highly variable. Trained nurses are highly variable in terms of their specialty. Nurses within their specialty are highly variable. Any new nurse who starts on a unit that deals with high acuity patients is going to be inept, adapting to a new EMR program is going to lead a nurse being inept, and adjusting to the algorithms at a new hospital or entering into a new specialty is going to result in a new nurse being initially inept. That's okay, there is a reason why nursing is a collaborative effort and no one starts off being competent. Just like a TFA teacher being thrown into the jungles of a classroom, it's an important learning process where you need to learn, adapt, and survive. It's hard to explain to someone outside of healthcare what it's like to learn hospital protocol for blood administration when ED sends up a Jane Doe actively bleeding on the sheets (when you turn her) with absolute nada for Type & Screen or H&H. At that point it's not about whether you went to a community school nursing program, have a bachelor's in nursing, or went to a fancy program at MGH or Duke. Finding people who are willing to stick out hard situations and learn from them is far more important to surviving in hard environments than looking at stuff like whether they are a master of the arts.

Ed Burns had a storied career with the Homicide and Narcotics division for Baltimore before he decided to retire and become a public school teacher. Do you know his first impression? He compared the experience psychologically to the Vietnam War. The glaring issue with teaching in the inner city is not that the TFA teachers don't have masters or PhD's. It's that a lot of new teachers explanted to tough inner city schools haven't grown up in the inner city. Many of them aren't aware that most of their students are in school because their parents cannot afford to feed them and their biggest barrier to teaching them is providing them with food because their only meal is going to be school lunch. They are not taught how to navigate between the b.s. NCLB curriculum/metrics and what the kids actually are able to learn. These school districts "grandfather" children into grade levels based on their age because they are worried statistically about attrition to the point where their spending is put into hiring attendance guards whose job it is to round up on these kids and see why they are skipping school.

If you think that the root of the problem is a contractor like the TFA, then you need to evaluate the role of a contracted company when it comes to providing a service. These school systems need services like the TFA because they are just that bad. Being able to teach students how to read and do basic algebra is light years ahead of their normal expectation. Having students attend class is beyond normal expectation. Students behaving in class and not starting a fight with another student or just going AWOL is beyond normal expectation. Dealing with curriculum standards that is clearly not designed to give these students a chance and balancing everything else is providing a service to both these school systems and these children. This is not about the "blind leading the blind," teaching in these school districts is about survival for all parties involved.

Hospitals hire credentialed nurses, but nursing education is highly variable. Hospital acuity is highly variable. Nursing work is highly variable. Trained nurses are highly variable in terms of their specialty. Nurses within their specialty are highly variable. Any new nurse who starts on a unit that deals with high acuity patients is going to be inept, adapting to a new EMR program is going to lead a nurse being inept, and adjusting to the algorithms at a new hospital or entering into a new specialty is going to result in a new nurse being initially inept. That's okay, there is a reason why nursing is a collaborative effort and no one starts off being competent. Just like a TFA teacher being thrown into the jungles of a classroom, it's an important learning process where you need to learn, adapt, and survive. It's hard to explain to someone outside of healthcare what it's like to learn hospital protocol for blood administration when ED sends up a Jane Doe actively bleeding on the sheets (when you turn her) with absolute nada for Type & Screen or H&H. At that point it's not about whether you went to a community school nursing program, have a bachelor's in nursing, or went to a fancy program at MGH or Duke. Finding people who are willing to stick out hard situations and learn from them is far more important to surviving in hard environments than looking at stuff like whether they are a master of the arts.

You are comparing apples to oranges — nurses who are trained and new to nursing compared to teachers who are not trained and new to teaching. New nurses will stay on as nurses and become better in their field. Most TFA teachers have no plans to stick around past their 2 year commitment and will instead be matriculating to med school, law school, or some other graduate/doctorate program that is not in education. If they really want to teach then why not get a teaching license, do student teaching for a year under the supervision of a seasoned teacher, and have some kind of possibility of success when starting out on their own? Very few TFA teachers stay after their 2 year stint is up because they never planned to become a teacher and only used teaching as a stepping stone. The TFA model hurts students and hurts education.

My research! Only just a handful of labs that study what we do (at our scale of funding). Perhaps not so original!

Habitat for Humanity
Peace Corps
Americorps
TFA
Military service
first responders
Hospice work
nursing home work
I honestly didn't know you liked EMTs - or were you referring more to professional firefighters and police officers? A lot of wisdom here is that EMT hours - even if it is hundreds or thousands - do not "count" as actual patient contact hours the same way that ER or nursing-home hours would count.

I honestly didn't know you liked EMTs - or were you referring more to professional firefighters and police officers? A lot of wisdom here is that EMT hours - even if it is hundreds or thousands - do not "count" as actual patient contact hours the same way that ER or nursing-home hours would count.

I don't know where you heard that, but EMT hours (assuming you actually work as an EMT, not just take the class and get the certification without using it) involve an incredible amount of patient contact. I was an EMT, and found that adcoms/faculty at my interviews and once I enrolled in med school definitely liked EMTs and spoke favorably of them. If you're just volunteering in an ER or nursing home, that's way less patient contact than working as an EMT. If you're working as a scribe/MA/Nurse/etc, then it's probably a similar amount of patient contact, though with very different scope and responsibilities.

I don't know where you heard that, but EMT hours (assuming you actually work as an EMT, not just take the class and get the certification without using it) involve an incredible amount of patient contact. I was an EMT, and found that adcoms/faculty at my interviews and once I enrolled in med school definitely liked EMTs and spoke favorably of them. If you're just volunteering in an ER or nursing home, that's way less patient contact than working as an EMT. If you're working as a scribe/MA/Nurse/etc, then it's probably a similar amount of patient contact, though with very different scope and responsibilities.

Doesn’t it depend on what state you’re in though? Since some states allow EMT’s to do a lot more things than others.

I think California is one of the states that barely allows them to do anything.

Doesn’t it depend on what state you’re in though? Since some states allow EMT’s to do a lot more things than others.

Regardless of state and/or responsibilities - despite this not being the reality in many many cases - a good chunk of ADCOMs who I have spoken with view EMTs as fancy health taxi drivers. I do not know what chunk have those views and I am most certainly not saying it is a majority or even a large sum...but anecdotal evidence suggests that this view is held by many, unfortunately.

Regardless of state and/or responsibilities - despite this not being the reality in many many cases - a good chunk of ADCOMs who I have spoken with view EMTs as fancy health taxi drivers. I do not know what chunk have those views and I am most certainly not saying it is a majority or even a large sum...but anecdotal evidence suggests that this view is held by many, unfortunately.

I did not know this.

What other clinical experiences - volunteering or paid - are viewed negatively by ad coms? Scribing, being a wayfarer (greeter at a hospital)? Anything else?

I have yet to have any faculty in person talk about EMTs that way - I've heard it here on SDN, but most physicians I've worked with have talked about EMT experience only as an asset. The number of applicants/matriculants who were EMTs has also been hyped up at several of my interviews/at my med school orientation. I'm sure it depends on the school, on what kind of physician (or non-physician faculty), and how much experience they have with pre-hospital medical services. I've found that a lot of non-EM docs don't really have much background or understanding of EMS.

There's also definitely a difference depending on what kind of EMS you do - 911 vs. IFT are going to be very different experiences, as will working on a BLS only rig vs. an ALS/BLS rig vs. other setup.

Fancy health taxi drivers!! Wow haha that’s quite brutal

I did not know this.

What other clinical experiences - volunteering or paid - are viewed negatively by ad coms? Scribing, being a wayfarer (greeter at a hospital)? Anything else?
Not a darn clue. I don't think anything is really viewed negatively, but there are certainly tiers to how big of an impact a clinical experience can be.

My general ROT that I have picked up (not an ADCOM, just an applicant) has been Nurse>MA>Phlebotomy/scribe>hospice/nursing home visits>EMT>Door greeter types>shadowing>nothing.