What are EC's that are interesting/make you stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard it here on SDN, but most physicians I've worked with have talked about EMT experience only as an asset
My experiences/feedback provided to me may have a bias now that I think about it as my state medical school has a VERY anti-EMS/anti-EM culture among the older faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not know this.

What other clinical experiences - volunteering or paid - are viewed negatively by ad coms? Scribing, being a wayfarer (greeter at a hospital)? Anything else?

Invasive procedures abroad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not know this.

What other clinical experiences - volunteering or paid - are viewed negatively by ad coms? Scribing, being a wayfarer (greeter at a hospital)? Anything else?

you also have to look at it in context. EMT vs. hospital greeter? EMT probably better. EMT vs. paramedic? paramedic definitely better. EMT vs. MA? probably depends on the faculty and their opinions of each. and so on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fancy health taxi drivers!! Wow haha that’s quite brutal

It depends on what you are hired to do. If it is to respond to 911 calls, then yes, it is legit clinical experience. If it is to ferry people between facilities for dialysis or radiation which means pushing their wheelchair into the van and out again, then, it is less of a clinical experience. And won't be counted for much. At least a greeter has to speak to people, ask questions and give responses in situations that are fraught with emotion.

Reactions: 1 users
I've read scribing referred to as "glorified shadowing" by an ad com that posts frequently here.

EDIT: I suppose that's because scribes aren't usually supposed to speak to or otherwise interact with patients.

I'm a self-employed astrologer and specialize in medical astrology, counseling clients. Now that is a good one lol. As Hippocrates famously said, "A physician without a knowledge of astrology has no right to call himself a physician."

I've read scribing referred to as "glorified shadowing" by an ad com that posts frequently here.

EDIT: I suppose that's because scribes aren't usually supposed to speak to or otherwise interact with patients.
That was my quote; scribing is still a passive activity in terms of dealing with patients, but it is employment, which is a good thing.

Not a darn clue. I don't think anything is really viewed negatively, but there are certainly tiers to how big of an impact a clinical experience can be.

My general ROT that I have picked up (not an ADCOM, just an applicant) has been Nurse>MA>Phlebotomy/scribe>hospice/nursing home visits>EMT>Door greeter types>shadowing>nothing.
are language interpreters=MA?

are language interpreters=MA?
i would think potentially. Not only are you involved in direct patient contact, but you are aiding in facilitating the doctor patient relationship. My opinion, anyway.