What are examples of things on your app to make you stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides something super unattainable like "winning an olympic gold medal," what are some examples of activities or something that would make you stand out from the average pre-med applicant (besides grades and mcat of course)? I feel like most people do more or less the same things in college

Members don't see this ad.

Besides something super unattainable like "winning an olympic gold medal," what are some examples of activities or something that would make you stand out from the average pre-med applicant (besides grades and mcat of course)? I feel like most people do more or less the same things in college

A few that aren't mega rare or difficult are: First author publications, starting up a long lasting volunteering program/non profit, national conference presentations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marathon running perhaps? I'm hoping it does at least :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
See my post in the thread I created. Posters, second author and below publications, leadership in large programs (that you may or may not have started), etc don't stand out anymore. You have to go larger. High MCAT (35+) scores do stand out though. Have fun.

How you write about your cookie cutter experiences matters alot. Several of my interviewers have commented on my personal statement and secondary essays as things that made me stand out despite a very low GPA.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Being a D1 athlete, especially on a national scale.

See my post in the thread I created. Posters, second author and below publications, leadership in large programs (that you may or may not have started), etc don't stand out anymore. You have to go larger. High MCAT (35+) scores do stand out though. Have fun.

I don't know man it sounds like you got burned pretty bad, but that's not the general case. Apply broadly and you'll be alright.

How many of your EC's demonstrated a long-term committment to serving others?

Things that make you stand out: not being weak in any area, i.e having GPA and MCAT and match the school's average, having a good amount of research, clinical/non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, decent LOR's, good reasons to pursue medicine, etc.

Read it all here: http://www.medaholic.com/med-school-admission-strategies-dont-get-eliminated/

Most important thing (and this is my opinion) is to LINK all of your EC's and know why you did each one. The reason for doing each and every EC you chose to do should be roughly the same or at least similar. There should be a single underlying cause that perpetuated you to pursue anything and everything you did. Finally, this underlying cause should some how be related to your passion for pursuing medicine.

HOWEVER, you may have ONE totally different passion from your other EC's (this passion can be anything from playing an instrument to writing to something non-medical). The EC's related to your passion do not have to be linked to your original underlying reason and your other EC's. This passion can stand out on its own and there to be reason as to why you pursued the EC's related to this passion of yours.

Good luck!

I'd like to read what you wrote about your ECs....standing out versus conveying passion and interest in the activities that make you stand out are totally different things dude.

I'd like to read what you wrote about your ECs....standing out versus conveying passion and interest in the activities that make you stand out are totally different things dude.

I wonder if he just listed out and described his ECs...

No, I didn't. I was actually sincere in doing everything in undergrad and I articulated this in my descriptions. I wasn't a cookie-cutter check listing person. I gave reasons and described my role in each activity. Adcoms just have incredibly (out of this world) expectations if you don't meed the "superstar" number credentials, that's all. I really do wish someone would give me a chance because I have a lot to offer and have been commended by outside and collegiate people for it, just not a single adcom.

Oh well, Good luck guys. I hope you don't all take me a troll, because I'm honestly not. I'm just trying to help if anyone will listen to me.

i haven't applied yet, so take what i say with a grain of salt. below is a list of what i believe to be substantial and impressive ECs, and none of them are remotely extraordinary or even unique.

1) 3+ years of committed service to one particular organization (get over 600 hours)
2) 2+ years of dedicated clinical experience (volunteer at a variety of hospital divisions, get a broad range of what medicine is like - you are also serving in this capacity)
3) 2+ years of serious scientific research (in one lab/area) that preferably leads to a publication of any kind, poster, or something to show for it
4) 2+ years of some form of leadership activity (head of an organization, tutor/TA, etc.)
5) any type of hobby/passion that you devote a significant time to, and you are able to say how this particular activity contributes to certain skillsets that'll make you a better physician.

none of the above are unique or extraordinary, but i am willing to bet that few applicants have ALL of them. so if you aim to have all of them and a little bit extra, you should be set on the EC front.

just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I didn't. I was actually sincere in doing everything in undergrad and I articulated this in my descriptions. I wasn't a cookie-cutter check listing person. I gave reasons and described my role in each activity. Adcoms just have incredibly (out of this world) expectations if you don't meed the "superstar" number credentials, that's all. I really do wish someone would give me a chance because I have a lot to offer and have been commended by outside and collegiate people for it, just not a single adcom.

Oh well, Good luck guys. I hope you don't all take me a troll, because I'm honestly not. I'm just trying to help if anyone will listen to me.

But, they don't really....

either way, I hope you get some good news, and if you don't - reread your application and make a true judgment call on whether or not you find each part of your application truly interesting and personal. I don't think it's your scores that are holding you back here.

For what its worth, I have a 34 MCAT (9 in VR) and have had 8 interviews at top 20 schools. I admit I thought my mcat score would have kept me out, but it just goes to show that it doesn't mean everything if you are able to stand out in a different way.

Good luck

i haven't applied yet, so take what i say with a grain of salt. below is a list of what i believe to be substantial and impressive ECs, and none of them are remotely extraordinary or even unique.

1) 3+ years of committed service to one particular organization (get over 600 hours)
2) 2+ years of dedicated clinical experience (volunteer at a variety of hospital divisions, get a broad range of what medicine is like - you are also serving in this capacity)
3) 2+ years of serious scientific research (in one lab/area) that preferably leads to a publication of any kind, poster, or something to show for it
4) 2+ years of some form of leadership activity (head of an organization, tutor/TA, etc.)
5) any type of hobby/passion that you devote a significant time to, and you are able to say how this particular activity contributes to certain skillsets that'll make you a better physician.

none of the above are unique or extraordinary, but i am willing to bet that few applicants have ALL of them. so if you aim to have all of them and a little bit extra, you should be set on the EC front.

just my 2 cents

Actually I'd venture to say most applicants I've run across on my interview trail have all of these, but just not for the same length of time.

Ppierce is referring to Top 50 ad comms only, at least this is what he states in his other post. I would agree with what he says for like, Top 20, Top 50 I don't think you should have to have anything too ridiculous under your belt.

Regardless dude judging by your other post it seems like you should have thrown some mid and low tier schools in the mix, you never know what schools will value MCAT over GPA or vice versa. This is coming from someone with a MUCH lower GPA than yours yet similar MCAT, so I can understand your frustration in getting no love from top schools with a 4.0 GPA. I would be upset too.

Actually I'd venture to say most applicants I've run across on my interview trail have all of these, but just not for the same length of time.

And that's why they were invited for the interview. After the interview, it is all up to your personality.

And that's why they were invited for the interview. After the interview, it is all up to your personality.

disagree, but minor details..

The people that stand out are the ones who find something that they are passionate about, often non-related to medicine at first sight, and then somehow relate it to medicine as far as helping people goes... so they end up with an extracurricular that is truly unique.

For ex: I have a friend that is a spanish major, he did multiple trips to third world spanish speaking countries and translated for the doctors who were providing medical assistance, in addition he helped give out supplies. It wasn't a 2 week medical brigade trip though, it was for several months each year.

Another friend who was a computers major but originally was from a small village in africa, she started a non-profit that raised money to donate computers back to the same town she used to live in.

We can't give you a list of things that looks good and then you go and do it, the people who truly are remarkable are the ones who find something they are passionate about and then run with it.

that's why they are getting interviews at (presumably) top places?!

For what its worth, I have a 34 MCAT (9 in VR) and have had 8 interviews at top 20 schools. I admit I thought my mcat score would have kept me out, but it just goes to show that it doesn't mean everything if you are able to stand out in a different way.

Good luck

congrats. your mcat is good enough for top 20s, may i ask the following questions?

1) is your GPA high
2) any really strong ECs?

thanks

Any chance you work for Kaplan?

Unless you're an Olympic athlete, astronaut, or something like that, I'm guessing that ADCOMs have seen plenty of applicants with just about every EC you can possibly think of.

A few of you mentioned non-profits. This currently can be very beneficial to people who have access to a lot of money, since you can create something that "looks good," with minimal effort... But I think once ADCOMs catch on, premed generated non-profits will go the way of medical mission trips in the eyes of ADCOM members.

Do you know what would really make an applicant stand out in my eyes if I were an ADCOM?

If someone wrote a sincere essay about why they chose NOT to pursue all of these activities that every premed is doing. I think honesty can go a very long way. After all, isn't that what ADCOMs are looking for in the first place?

Unless you're an Olympic athlete, astronaut, or something like that, I'm guessing that ADCOMs have seen plenty of applicants with just about every EC you can possibly think of.

A few of you mentioned non-profits. This currently can be very beneficial to people who have access to a lot of money, since you can create something that "looks good," with minimal effort... But I think once ADCOMs catch on, premed generated non-profits will go the way of medical mission trips in the eyes of ADCOM members.

Do you know what would really make an applicant stand out in my eyes if I were an ADCOM?

If someone wrote a sincere essay about why they chose NOT to pursue all of these activities that every premed is doing. I think honesty can go a very long way. After all, isn't that what ADCOMs are looking for in the first place?

I'm sure that works from time to time, but for the most part, I'd think thats a tough sell. MSAR matriculant statistics don't lie, and at the end of the day, most matriculants quite simply all have research, clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering experience within their extracurriculars.

Some things that came to mind:
1) Publications outside of science (write for your school's paper or journal, professional publication of novel/poetry/articles)
2) Military/military-related service work
3) Study abroad that allowed you to participate in the community in a meaningful way (i.e. 6 months volunterring part-time at a South American clinic, tutoring kids in Kenya...)
4) Hobbies allowing you to have some sort of recognition (catering business, freelance artist...)

Some things that came to mind:
1) Publications outside of science (write for your school's paper or journal, professional publication of novel/poetry/articles)
2) Military/military-related service work
3) Study abroad that allowed you to participate in the community in a meaningful way (i.e. 6 months volunterring part-time at a South American clinic, tutoring kids in Kenya...)
4) Hobbies allowing you to have some sort of recognition (catering business, freelance artist...)

Publications both inside and outside of science stand out, in my opinion. Perhaps even more outside of science.

I'm sure that works from time to time, but for the most part, I'd think thats a tough sell. MSAR matriculant statistics don't lie, and at the end of the day, most matriculants quite simply all have research, clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering experience within their extracurriculars.

Yeah that would be cool if it did work. But that's exactly my point...

Almost everyone has clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, other clubs, and some have research. Someone lacking all of these things will stand out more. Sure if this person said, "volunteering sucks" on their application, then that would be one thing. But if they can explain why the wanted to go into medicine (usually those with a genuine desire had it way before jumping through the hoops) and why they didn't partake in these activities, then I think they would definitely stand out in a good way.

Economics dictates a risk-return relationship. The greater the risk, the greater the return (or loss). I think this could definitely work in a positive way for the "right" applicant.

disagree, but minor details..

The people that stand out are the ones who find something that they are passionate about, often non-related to medicine at first sight, and then somehow relate it to medicine as far as helping people goes... so they end up with an extracurricular that is truly unique.

For ex: I have a friend that is a spanish major, he did multiple trips to third world spanish speaking countries and translated for the doctors who were providing medical assistance, in addition he helped give out supplies. It wasn't a 2 week medical brigade trip though, it was for several months each year.

Another friend who was a computers major but originally was from a small village in africa, she started a non-profit that raised money to donate computers back to the same town she used to live in.

We can't give you a list of things that looks good and then you go and do it, the people who truly are remarkable are the ones who find something they are passionate about and then run with it.

I guess what I meant was personality as in how well you can relate everything you did to how you are as a person and what your interests are. And then you should relate those interests to medicine. That is what I meant by personality. And also, it is not all up to personality, so I take that part back.

I guess what I meant was personality as in how well you can relate everything you did to how you are as a person and what your interests are. And then you should relate those interests to medicine. That is what I meant by personality. And also, it is not all up to personality, so I take that part back.

:thumbup: :)

Almost everyone has clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, other clubs, and some have research. Someone lacking all of these things will stand out more. Sure if this person said, "volunteering sucks" on their application, then that would be one thing. But if they can explain why the wanted to go into medicine (usually those with a genuine desire had it way before jumping through the hoops) and why they didn't partake in these activities, then I think they would definitely stand out in a good way.

Economics dictates a risk-return relationship. The greater the risk, the greater the return (or loss). I think this could definitely work in a positive way for the "right" applicant.

By "right" I take it you mean someone with high stats and the most fundamental hoops jumped through?

I think I might see what you're saying, and if I'm on the right track then I definitely agree. Basically, activities that aren't necessarily healthcare-related but that you're really interested in and do well in can definitely make you stand out. Personally I would focus more on why this activity was super meaningful to you (and maybe even what skills you got from it that do end up contributing to your ability to be a great potential doctor), instead of focusing on the fact that you did it at the expense of doing, say, clinical volunteering. But that's just me.

Another thing to keep your eyes out for, OP, are opportunities that maybe scare you a little bit/take you out of your comfort zone, but something you think might fit well with your talents. Could be anything from working closely with a particular population to leading a group to doing some independent research, but it's those roles that you have to learn something to do well in that are really going to contribute to your application. Those are likely what's going to end up being meaningful for you, what's going to be easy for you to talk passionately about, and what's going to show the adcoms you mean business. Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I think I might see what you're saying, and if I'm on the right track then I definitely agree. Basically, activities that aren't necessarily healthcare-related but that you're really interested in and do well in can definitely make you stand out. Personally I would focus more on why this activity was super meaningful to you (and maybe even what skills you got from it that do end up contributing to your ability to be a great potential doctor), instead of focusing on the fact that you did it at the expense of doing, say, clinical volunteering.

In a way yes. By this I mean pursuing the things that are actually important to you. Not pursuing the things that you pretend are important to you because you know they are what the ADCOMs want to see.

In a way yes. By this I mean pursuing the things that are actually important to you. Not pursuing the things that you pretend are important to you because you know they are what the ADCOMs want to see.

Yep, we're on the same page. :D

I think I might see what you're saying, and if I'm on the right track then I definitely agree. Basically, activities that aren't necessarily healthcare-related but that you're really interested in and do well in can definitely make you stand out. Personally I would focus more on why this activity was super meaningful to you (and maybe even what skills you got from it that do end up contributing to your ability to be a great potential doctor), instead of focusing on the fact that you did it at the expense of doing, say, clinical volunteering. But that's just me.

Another thing to keep your eyes out for, OP, are opportunities that maybe scare you a little bit/take you out of your comfort zone, but something you think might fit well with your talents. Could be anything from working closely with a particular population to leading a group to doing some independent research, but it's those roles that you have to learn something to do well in that are really going to contribute to your application. Those are likely what's going to end up being meaningful for you, what's going to be easy for you to talk passionately about, and what's going to show the adcoms you mean business. Good luck! :luck:

i fully agree with this sentiment, but a few adcoms have expressed that significant commitment to a non-medical endeavor can be seen with skepticism

i fully agree with this sentiment, but a few adcoms have expressed that significant commitment to a non-medical endeavor can be seen with skepticism

I would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more skeptical of premeds that go from never having volunteered to suddenly having a whole laundry-list full of them virtually overnight when starting the premed track. In another thread, I referred to these applicants as "Zero to Mother Teresa" applicants.

Yeah, I'd be skeptical of those people that enjoy doing things like spending time with family, friends, working out, playing video games, or other things that human beings like to do. I mean seriously, what kind of premed would actually do these things? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more skeptical of premeds that go from never having volunteered to suddenly having a whole laundry-list full of them virtually overnight when starting the premed track. In another thread, I referred to these applicants as "Zero to Mother Teresa" applicants.

Yeah, I'd be skeptical of those people that enjoy doing things like spending time with family, friends, working out, playing video games, or other things that human beings like to do. I mean seriously, what kind of premed would actually do these things? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i complete agree with you, but some adcoms do expect people staying committed to medicine. medicine, medicine. medicine. and more medicine before setting foot inside a medical school

Publications both inside and outside of science stand out, in my opinion. Perhaps even more outside of science.

I hope you're right... I have more than a handful of those... Hopefully they are viewed with interest!! :thumbup::thumbup::xf:

i complete agree with you, but some adcoms do expect people staying committed to medicine. medicine, medicine. medicine. and more medicine before setting foot inside a medical school

How are any of these activities "medicine" though? Performing free labor for a hospital system by cleaning beds and restocking linens isn't medicine. :confused:

Medicine is medicine, like you say. There aren't any premeds that have done any "medicine" as premeds. They'll have all the time in the world to do this after medical school.

This system needs to fixed, and quick!

Why they started doing it doesn't matter if they have good essays about what they learned. Not everyone cares about volunteering when they start it, but if they learn from it and learn to like it, that's more than enough.

I have a question about your Zero to Mother Teresa concept. A few questions, actually.

First, how would you or any adcom know if an applicant started volunteering as soon as they started college? They would just list college volunteering, as high school activities are frowned upon -- so you'd have no idea if they had volunteered prior to college or not. I honestly am not sure how you would know if someone volunteered in high school or not, unless they explicitly say that college was their first exposure to volunteering. Thus, how would you conclude that they started at "zero"?

Let's say that, somehow, it was clear that this applicant began volunteering once they started college. There is still not enough advice to brand them as a "Zero to Mother Teresa" person as, there are tons of reasons why someone might start volunteering in college as opposed to earlier. A lot of organizations require you to be 18 in order to volunteer, which typically is an age reached at the end of or after high school and right around college starting. Thus, someone might begin volunteering their freshman year of college just because that's the soonest they'd be able. Is that wrong? Would you really punish someone for not being older sooner?

I think checking boxes is probably not a beneficial way of experiencing activities, so on that front, I might agree with you. But you go farther than that, and that's the part I take issue with. I have a problem with anybody assuming that dabbling in the standard activities isn't genuine. Sure, it is possible that it isn't genuine -- but what if it is? Can't someone sincerely want to experience leadership, teaching, non-clinical volunteering, and clinical volunteering without being accused of checking boxes or being "Zero to Mother Teresa"? Also, can't someone be inspired by an experience that they happened to have during college? Is that person immediately insincere because their life didn't change until their sophomore or junior year of college?

People who truly truly fit the bill for "Zero to Mother Teresa" (who are pretending to care about volunteering and community service to impress adcoms) may deserve to be viewed with a skeptical eye. But I don't see how anybody can make the assumption/conclusion about any given applicant that their volunteering is insincere and just for show. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt -- if they participated in an activity and said they learned from it, who are you (or who is anyone) to say that they are just BSing their way through a process?

I don't mean to be accusatory, I just am honestly curious. I participated in volunteering in high school and honestly sincerely genuinely feel passionately about my experiences -- my experiences which, unfortunately or fortunately (not sure yet), appear like box checkers, like teaching, leadership, volunteering. For someone to take a look at my application and assume that I am exaggerating or BSing my passion for these "box checkers" would be unfair, since I'm not. I am just curious as to how you'd foolproof your analysis of applicants to differentiate between honest interest and BS.

First, how would you or any adcom know if an applicant started volunteering as soon as they started college? They would just list college volunteering, as high school activities are frowned upon -- so you'd have no idea if they had volunteered prior to college or not. I honestly am not sure how you would know if someone volunteered in high school or not, unless they explicitly say that college was their first exposure to volunteering. Thus, how would you conclude that they started at "zero"?

Actually it's been mentioned numerous times on this site that if you were deeply involved in an activity in high school and it carried over to college, then you should in fact list it. If you're listing a four month commitment you did way back freshman year of college, then you wouldn't list it. I'm guessing that people who have always been committed to service and having been taking part in activities for years would have at least carried something from high school to college.

Let's say that, somehow, it was clear that this applicant began volunteering once they started college. There is still not enough advice to brand them as a "Zero to Mother Teresa" person as, there are tons of reasons why someone might start volunteering in college as opposed to earlier. A lot of organizations require you to be 18 in order to volunteer, which typically is an age reached at the end of or after high school and right around college starting. Thus, someone might begin volunteering their freshman year of college just because that's the soonest they'd be able. Is that wrong? Would you really punish someone for not being older sooner?

When I talked about the "Zero to Mother Teresa" concept in a previous thread, I was not talking about the "Cookie Cutter" applicant that would pick up the typical hospital volunteering gig because they were told to do so by their premed advisor (or it's required for the school's committee letter). I realize that people might start a volunteer activity at different ages, whether they are children, college students, or elderly people.

But there's a fine line between never having volunteered before, and picking up a four hour a week hospital volunteer commitment because it's expected, versus...

Suddenly going from never having cared about volunteering/serving your community to all of a sudden volunteering in a hospital, volunteering in a soup kitchen, tutoring underprivileged inner-city children, coaching a youth sports league for underprivileged inner-city children, volunteering for an Alzheimer's organization, and the list goes on and on.

As I made my point above, you can see there is a difference between never having done a volunteer activity to picking up a small commitment, versus picking up a whole laundry-list full of them virtually overnight, which would demonstrate your bleeding heart desire to help the community. You typically see these laundry-lists in the WAMC thread.

It's more reasonable if someone picks up commitments over time, since that would show that they enjoy service. But to suddenly devote your life to so many organizations after never having volunteered before? No. Just no.

I think checking boxes is probably not a beneficial way of experiencing activities, so on that front, I might agree with you. But you go farther than that, and that's the part I take issue with. I have a problem with anybody assuming that dabbling in the standard activities isn't genuine. Sure, it is possible that it isn't genuine -- but what if it is? Can't someone sincerely want to experience leadership, teaching, non-clinical volunteering, and clinical volunteering without being accused of checking boxes or being "Zero to Mother Teresa"? Also, can't someone be inspired by an experience that they happened to have during college? Is that person immediately insincere because their life didn't change until their sophomore or junior year of college?

Haha. :laugh: Do you know why I'm laughing? Because premeds are the ones that have practically ruined this for the ones who are actually genuine. What happens when you have someone who genuinely doesn't give two $h!ts about these activities and devotes so much time to them? You'll probably witness an attitude that shows that they don't care. This why premeds get a pretty bad reputation in many different places. So are you a person that actually cares about doing these activities? Well, the organizations might not believe you because so many premeds that pretended to care have ruined the reputation of premeds due to poor performance. Luckily for all of you, ADCOMs still view the "Zero to Mother Teresa" applicants in a very good light. Do you know what sucks for ADCOMs though? Unless they personally knew a volunteer site coordinator, they will never know whether the applicant was a great member of the team, or someone who either skipped out on shifts or spent shifts studying.

People who truly truly fit the bill for "Zero to Mother Teresa" (who are pretending to care about volunteering and community service to impress adcoms) may deserve to be viewed with a skeptical eye. But I don't see how anybody can make the assumption/conclusion about any given applicant that their volunteering is insincere and just for show. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt -- if they participated in an activity and said they learned from it, who are you (or who is anyone) to say that they are just BSing their way through a process?

Luckily for those insincere persons who are just playing the game to the best of their abilities, the ADCOMs are NOT looking at them with a skeptical eye. On the contrary, ADCOMs are viewing them as these incredible applicants who care deeply about serving their community! :love: But here's what makes no sense. If every year you have around 80% of matriculants having taken part in volunteer commitments and tell ADCOMs how they are dying to help the underserved, then why are the underserved communities still underserved? Don't you think that the tables have turned, and that the wealthy urban overserved communities would be in fear of losing physicians? Something doesn't add up.

But yeah, that's the problem and you definitely summed it up. ADCOMs aren't being accusatory. I also have nothing against people BSing through the process. I doubt anyone is saying, "I want to go put on a facade so I can lie to a bunch of people and then screw them over." This is what the game has become of, at least on SDN, and you can't blame the players for playing the game that is expected of them. So whether someone is genuine or not, it doesn't matter. Most of these things have no relevance to actually being a physician. I'm just pointing out that the system is greatly flawed.

I don't mean to be accusatory, I just am honestly curious. I participated in volunteering in high school and honestly sincerely genuinely feel passionately about my experiences -- my experiences which, unfortunately or fortunately (not sure yet), appear like box checkers, like teaching, leadership, volunteering. For someone to take a look at my application and assume that I am exaggerating or BSing my passion for these "box checkers" would be unfair, since I'm not. I am just curious as to how you'd foolproof your analysis of applicants to differentiate between honest interest and BS.

Unfortunately, because 80% of matriculants or so have taken part in volunteer activities, it kind of downplays the significance of yours. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but this is what happens. An example of this is that at my old work place, I had one coworker who had a huge commitment to serving the community. He was so involved in activities, that he was actually a part of an award contest for other men who were involved in community service. People would go up to him and say, "Wow! You volunteer at so many places! You are such a great person!" The funny thing is that he's pretty much considered "above average" on SDN in terms of his activities. No here's a fun thing to try... Go up to a premed or medical student who has/had a laundry-list full of activities. Say, "Wow! You volunteer/ed at so many places! You are such a great person!" They will probably give you a "WTF?" look.

There's no way to full proof this analysis. I said that extending the activities list through high school would work. It might help, but gunners will still be gunners. I think the best way to change things is to accept that premeds and physicians are human beings. If 80% of normal people (not premeds) volunteered, then people would be running like chickens with their heads cut off trying to find a volunteer organization. But, is this actually taking place in real life?

Well if you can spin the story correctly, going from Zero to Mother Teresa is a pretty impressive accomplishment if you ask me. The important point here is, it's really hard to speculate what's going on in the mind of an adcom, their philosophies may be different on a rainy day versus a sunny day and that's really out of anybody's control.

To provide a more cynical point of view for you, the people who claim they are truly, sincerely passionate about medicine and motivated by it every waking day of their life are few and far in between, especially those that don't transform any of that energy into relavent experiences. There is a whole branch of social science and psychology research focused on the science of passion which has made several conclusions.

Number one: Passions related to careers are rare. Yes, you may be passionate about reading, running, cooking, whatever, but studies of young people found that only 4 percent of those individuals had a passion that was directly related to a career.

Number two: Passions take time to develop. Some yale study found that job satisfaction is positively correlated with work experience and number of years on the job. The strongest predictor of finding someone seeing their work as a calling was the number of years on the job.

Number three: Passions come with mastery. There was a TED talk on motivation about this. In short, there are three basic parts that go towards you feeling motivated to doing your work - autonomy (having some degree of control), competence, and relatedness (how connected you are with others from your work). Two of those three are directly dependent on how much experience you have. If you don't have any experience at all, it's impossible to develop mastery - no mastery, no passion.

What does this all mean? It means that most of us young people really have no clue what the f our career calling is, and that conversely anybody that comes to you bragging about how their destiny was to become a gallbladder surgeon with an emphasis in gallstones, but without any directly relatable evidence to back it up is the one that is more likely full of BS.

Reactions: 1 user
Well if you can spin the story correctly, going from Zero to Mother Teresa is a pretty impressive accomplishment if you ask me. The important point here is, it's really hard to speculate what's going on in the mind of an adcom, their philosophies may be different on a rainy day versus a sunny day and that's really out of anybody's control.

To provide a more cynical point of view for you, the people who claim they are truly, sincerely passionate about medicine and motivated by it every waking day of their life are few and far in between, especially those that don't transform any of that energy into relavent experiences. There is a whole branch of social science and psychology research focused on the science of passion which has made several conclusions.

Number one: Passions related to careers are rare. Yes, you may be passionate about reading, running, cooking, whatever, but studies of young people found that only 4 percent of those individuals had a passion that was directly related to a career.

Number two: Passions take time to develop. Some yale study found that job satisfaction is positively correlated with work experience and number of years on the job. The strongest predictor of finding someone seeing their work as a calling was the number of years on the job.

Number three: Passions come with mastery. There was a TED talk on motivation about this. In short, there are three basic parts that go towards you feeling motivated to doing your work - autonomy (having some degree of control), competence, and relatedness (how connected you are with others from your work). Two of those three are directly dependent on how much experience you have. If you don't have any experience at all, it's impossible to develop mastery - no mastery, no passion.

What does this all mean? It means that most of us young people really have no clue what the f our career calling is, and that conversely anybody that comes to you bragging about how their destiny was to become a gallbladder surgeon with an emphasis in gallstones, but without any directly relatable evidence to back it up is the one that is more likely full of BS.

You bring a very interesting perspective to the discussion. I actually think a lot of people are motivated to go into medicine for the "right" reasons. For example, a lot of people find this passion as a child. I found out that I was passionate for medicine as a child, and I also liked airplanes a lot, which is why I went into the airline industry. There was definitely a disconnect between the management side and actually just enjoying airplanes for what they are though.

Most of the people who find a "passion" in medicine at a young age are finding it because of whichever reasons they do, not because of specific activities that they were doing. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Usually, a person has some desire to want to go into medicine, and then they do whatever is necessary to achieve this goal. This includes taking classes, the MCAT, and doing the "required" ECs. I don't think too many applicants each year are finding out that they want to do medicine because of these activities. It's the other way around...

I'm not sure if they still post here or not, but the SDN member MT Headed said that they found out they wanted to go into medicine because of the volunteer EMT service they were doing. This is usually not the norm though.

For the typical premed who believes they have a "passion" for medicine will end up doing the ECs that they deem necessary to gain admittance. So at this point, it comes down to:

*"Which activity looks better?"*
*"How long do I need to do this activity for?"*
*"How many activities do you need?"*

You typically see threads like this on SDN. These are clear examples of people who are not doing activities because they are passionate about them, but doing them because they see them as being necessary. Therefore, these activities do not demonstrate someone's actual passion for medicine. It better demonstrates their strategic planning (timing, number, and type of activities) and willingness to do things to achieve their goal. An important characteristic in its own right, but not the bleeding heart service-loving attitude the ADCOMs hope for.

I hope I'm making sense, all I'm thinking about now is physiology. Ack! :barf:

Actually it's been mentioned numerous times on this site that if you were deeply involved in an activity in high school and it carried over to college, then you should in fact list it. If you're listing a four month commitment you did way back freshman year of college, then you wouldn't list it. I'm guessing that people who have always been committed to service and having been taking part in activities for years would have at least carried something from high school to college.

When I talked about the "Zero to Mother Teresa" concept in a previous thread, I was not talking about the "Cookie Cutter" applicant that would pick up the typical hospital volunteering gig because they were told to do so by their premed advisor (or it's required for the school's committee letter). I realize that people might start a volunteer activity at different ages, whether they are children, college students, or elderly people.

But there's a fine line between never having volunteered before, and picking up a four hour a week hospital volunteer commitment because it's expected, versus...

Suddenly going from never having cared about volunteering/serving your community to all of a sudden volunteering in a hospital, volunteering in a soup kitchen, tutoring underprivileged inner-city children, coaching a youth sports league for underprivileged inner-city children, volunteering for an Alzheimer's organization, and the list goes on and on.

As I made my point above, you can see there is a difference between never having done a volunteer activity to picking up a small commitment, versus picking up a whole laundry-list full of them virtually overnight, which would demonstrate your bleeding heart desire to help the community. You typically see these laundry-lists in the WAMC thread.

It's more reasonable if someone picks up commitments over time, since that would show that they enjoy service. But to suddenly devote your life to so many organizations after never having volunteered before? No. Just no.

Haha. :laugh: Do you know why I'm laughing? Because premeds are the ones that have practically ruined this for the ones who are actually genuine. What happens when you have someone who genuinely doesn't give two $h!ts about these activities and devotes so much time to them? You'll probably witness an attitude that shows that they don't care. This why premeds get a pretty bad reputation in many different places. So are you a person that actually cares about doing these activities? Well, the organizations might not believe you because so many premeds that pretended to care have ruined the reputation of premeds due to poor performance. Luckily for all of you, ADCOMs still view the "Zero to Mother Teresa" applicants in a very good light. Do you know what sucks for ADCOMs though? Unless they personally knew a volunteer site coordinator, they will never know whether the applicant was a great member of the team, or someone who either skipped out on shifts or spent shifts studying.

Luckily for those insincere persons who are just playing the game to the best of their abilities, the ADCOMs are NOT looking at them with a skeptical eye. On the contrary, ADCOMs are viewing them as these incredible applicants who care deeply about serving their community! :love: But here's what makes no sense. If every year you have around 80% of matriculants having taken part in volunteer commitments and tell ADCOMs how they are dying to help the underserved, then why are the underserved communities still underserved? Don't you think that the tables have turned, and that the wealthy urban overserved communities would be in fear of losing physicians? Something doesn't add up.

But yeah, that's the problem and you definitely summed it up. ADCOMs aren't being accusatory. I also have nothing against people BSing through the process. I doubt anyone is saying, "I want to go put on a facade so I can lie to a bunch of people and then screw them over." This is what the game has become of, at least on SDN, and you can't blame the players for playing the game that is expected of them. So whether someone is genuine or not, it doesn't matter. Most of these things have no relevance to actually being a physician. I'm just pointing out that the system is greatly flawed.

Unfortunately, because 80% of matriculants or so have taken part in volunteer activities, it kind of downplays the significance of yours. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but this is what happens. An example of this is that at my old work place, I had one coworker who had a huge commitment to serving the community. He was so involved in activities, that he was actually a part of an award contest for other men who were involved in community service. People would go up to him and say, "Wow! You volunteer at so many places! You are such a great person!" The funny thing is that he's pretty much considered "above average" on SDN in terms of his activities. No here's a fun thing to try... Go up to a premed or medical student who has/had a laundry-list full of activities. Say, "Wow! You volunteer/ed at so many places! You are such a great person!" They will probably give you a "WTF?" look.

There's no way to full proof this analysis. I said that extending the activities list through high school would work. It might help, but gunners will still be gunners. I think the best way to change things is to accept that premeds and physicians are human beings. If 80% of normal people (not premeds) volunteered, then people would be running like chickens with their heads cut off trying to find a volunteer organization. But, is this actually taking place in real life?

I see your points, but I am still a bit skeptical. I agree with all of your reasonings, to an extent, I just can't think of a way to change the system so that it's fir for everyone. Starting an activity list back in high school sounds appealing at first, and when I first saw your suggestion in the previous thread, I was all for it. But upon reflection, it would just start this whole crazy laundry list phenomenon earlier and earlier.

I'm not sure how to "fix the system". I guess the best thing would be to do what you love, do what the adcoms want, and hope that those two things overlap/line up/teach you something/inspire you. I'm not applying for another year, but I hope it works for me!! :thumbup:

I see your points, but I am still a bit skeptical. I agree with all of your reasonings, to an extent, I just can't think of a way to change the system so that it's fir for everyone. Starting an activity list back in high school sounds appealing at first, and when I first saw your suggestion in the previous thread, I was all for it. But upon reflection, it would just start this whole crazy laundry list phenomenon earlier and earlier.

I'm not sure how to "fix the system". I guess the best thing would be to do what you love, do what the adcoms want, and hope that those two things overlap/line up/teach you something/inspire you. I'm not applying for another year, but I hope it works for me!! :thumbup:

I was the same exact way as you. I saw it as being a good change initially, but then saw the problems it could have. I think it might still deter some people though from going crazy with activities they do not enjoy doing though. Adding another three to four years on top of those in college can be rough if you genuinely dislike something! But people still find ways to game the system, so unless expensive and time-consuming oversight is added, then this won't work.

I think I actually know how to fix the system, but it's not realistic whatsoever. As much as the "anti-volunteer/EC" crowd tends to blame the ADCOMs for everything, I think the big issue here is ultimately outside the control of ADCOMs. ADCOMs are catering to what society wants doctors to be. I think society has a very unrealistic view of healthcare professionals. People want a doctor to be their buddy while treating them at the same time. While it's good to want to work with someone who is friendly, I think that ultimately a physician's personality will have less importance than the work they do.

For example, if heaven-forbid I had a brain tumor. I know the doctor I would go to. I would go to Dr. Keith Black at Cedars Sinai medical center. Why? Because he's the best at what he does. I don't know whether he's nice or not. I don't know whether he spends his weekends volunteering at free clinics or not. I don't know whether he spends his summers in Africa breastfeeding orphans in Zimbabwe (just kidding). I'm not going there to make a friend. I'm going there to get the best treatment possible.

Once society begins to have a realistic perspective of physicians, then ADCOMs can have a realistic perspective of their applicants. At least on SDN, premeds have been molded into an extreme "Cookie Cutter" mold that anyone else outside of the medical school applications game would find absolutely ridiculous.

Would it be worth noting AP classes/college classes, and major awards you won in competitions while in high school?

Would it be worth noting AP classes/college classes, and major awards you won in competitions while in high school?

if you want to use AP credit to satisfy med school prereqs (aka for math), then i believe that your college transcript has to show your AP classes/credits.

now, LizzyM has stated that she sometimes sees major high school awards such as siemens, etc on applications. so unless your high school award is extremely high-profile, i wouldn't bother putting it on the amcas.