What are Interviews like? ( including MLT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janeway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the interviews are like and what sort of questions you are asked.
I'm not going into a med school, I aplied for an MLT program and now I am going to an interview. But perhaps the interviews might be similar.

I didn't think I woud be nervouse, but I'm starting to feel it now.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what, "MLT" is, but I wish you the best of luck. If you are wanting some hints as to what to expect for a medical school-type interview and what sorts of questions were asked, check out this forum, which provides interview feedback from students who interviewed at medical schools:

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_read.asp

My best advice is to simply be yourself. At this level, most interviewers just want to get a good idea of who you are beyond the numbers. Answer honestly and authentically, but also diplomatically. Take deep breaths and just do your best to be calm and relaxed. Remember to research the program to which you are applying, so that you can answer, "Why, program X?" and ask intelligent and well-thought out questions at the end of the interview, when you are asked, "Do you have any questions?" Also, it goes without saying that you should know your own file very well.

Good luck.

I think endo gave great advice. I'd just like to add that body language during an interview is HUGE. It might sound simple, but it's really important to sit up straight, make eye contact, don't fidget, and smile!!

If you're currently an undergrad, go to your school's career services or pre-med dept. to do a mock interview, it'll relieve some of your jitters. :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. your responses must be genuine to who you are. don't say something bc you think they want to hear it... they will see through it SO fast, and you'll get no indication that they even noticed. you just won't be accepted.

be honest, know your strengths and weaknesses, know your motivations and the pluses/minuses of your program of interest.

Some of the questions they ask may seem very straight forward with a yes or no answer. Whatever they ask, expand on your answer and gives reasons for this and that. Don't give short one sentence or word answers because they'll want more. I know I did that with questions that caught me off guard.

WTF is MLT? :D

I'm wondering what the interviews are like and what sort of questions you are asked.
I'm not going into a med school, I aplied for an MLT program and now I am going to an interview. But perhaps the interviews might be similar.

I didn't think I woud be nervouse, but I'm starting to feel it now.

I would check the interview question bank that SDN has. It depends on the school. Some schools have relaxed atmosphere for the interview, while other schools tend to have a more intense interviews. Schools also try to sell themselves, and you have to sit through faculty promoting their school. It's a good way to learn more about the school. So pay attention when they speak :D

BTW: What is MLT? I googled it, and "Management for Leadership Tomorrow" and "Medical Laboratory Technician" came up

BTW: What is MLT? I googled it, and "Management for Leadership Tomorrow" and "Medical Laboratory Technician" came up

Oh - a med tech?

MLT sounded like some sort of sammich to me.

This was what my interview was like at GA-PCOM

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Bweb1nJY4[/YOUTUBE]

This was what my interview was like at GA-PCOM

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Bweb1nJY4[/YOUTUBE]

The fact that you had subtitles at your interview is awesome. Bravo, good sir!!

An MLT is a Medical Laboratory Technician, is an A.A.S. degree after which you must take a certification test. Once certified you are able to work in a hospital laboratory.
An MT is a Medical Technologist, it is the B.S. version of an MLT, there is alot more supervisory involved in the MT. They will be your hopital supervisors and lab directors.
(Hint: Make nice with lab people when you become a doc and your lab turn-around-time can magically decrease)

To the OP: The interviewing will probably be not nearly as rigorous as a med school interview as the weed out process is probably much lower than 50% of applicants. With that said, alot is probably the same. Make sure you know why you want to go into lab medicine, make sure you know why you would make a good fit. I know my MT program included a P.S. and I gave a good strong story of how I got where I am today, and my desire for medicine and patient care.

Good luck!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I've been in lab medicine for 8+ years now.

Thank you everyone,
I feel more at ease with all the suugestions and pointers,
I was actually interested in lab medicine years ago, but the program was closed at my school. Also, I haven't been in school for awhile, so that has me nervous.
But now I know what to focus on. Thank you all and good luck in your paths as well.

MLT sounded like some sort of sammich to me.

HaHaHa! Spazzz!
That's what SDN is really all about...
:thumbup:

060829_blt_hmed_8a.hmedium.jpg

HaHaHa! Spazzz!
That's what SDN is really all about...
:thumbup:

060829_blt_hmed_8a.hmedium.jpg

it's funny how epic posters start these completely idiotic threads and nothing happens, but i start 2 and they both get locked. i guess i need a post count of 5000 in 1 year to win the favor of the mods....

Great, just great. Now I have a craving for a crunchy BLT with duck sauce.