What are my chances? (Also, where should I apply)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nasa03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year osteopathic medical student who fell in love with Internal Medicine as a field but did not do so hot on COMLEX 1 and Step 1.
  • COMLEX 1 = 480
  • Step 1 = 204
I know these are not solid scores, but I want to do IM and ideally in a bigger city. I have no interest in pursuing a fellowship at all.

Everyone says "apply broadly to community programs" and I want to know what are the best community programs that fit my stats. I feel so lost in this process. Geographically, I'd like to be in Texas but I am willing to relocate wherever.

In addition, what Step 2 and COMLEX 2 scores should I be shooting for if I want to be competitive?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on level/step 2 that's coming up. Forgot actual numbers off top of my head, but 230+ and 550+are around average I believe. Pretty much all IM programs are at decent size city or 1-2 hours from big major metro. I would apply to every single program in Texas, but cut out big name unis(UTSW, Baylor Houston) and cut out the few programs that have hard cutoff for scores like Houston Methodist.

If the rest of your app isn't strong, I suggest applying for FM backup too. Friend had similar stats and actually dropped to FM.

My advice would be to apply to as many programs as is possible and take as many interviews as you physically can.

Members don't see this ad :)
BS&W All Saints
TTUHSC transmountain
TIGMER (both)
UT Tyler (both)
All the HCA programs (Fort Worth, Weatherford etc)

Off the the top of my head that might be decent targets. Basically apply to the new, affiliated or hca to maximize chances. I would also recommend applying more broadly to other states

Reactions: 1 users
Despite what you read, above, from fellow students who are not in a great position to give advice, do not apply to dozens of programs. This assumes that the rest of your application is adequate, and there are no red flags. You might apply to a couple of academic programs, but I agree about applying somewhat broadly to community-based programs. Unless you have an extremely compelling reason, don't limit applications to your home state.
Plan to rank 15-20 programs if possible, and do not rank a program you don't like - god knows you'll end up matching there.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year osteopathic medical student who fell in love with Internal Medicine as a field but did not do so hot on COMLEX 1 and Step 1.
  • COMLEX 1 = 480
  • Step 1 = 204
I know these are not solid scores, but I want to do IM and ideally in a bigger city. I have no interest in pursuing a fellowship at all.

Everyone says "apply broadly to community programs" and I want to know what are the best community programs that fit my stats. I feel so lost in this process. Geographically, I'd like to be in Texas but I am willing to relocate wherever.

In addition, what Step 2 and COMLEX 2 scores should I be shooting for if I want to be competitive?

Thank you!
Target where your school's graduates have gone

Hi all,

• COMLEX 1 = 480
  • Step 1 = 204

Thank you!
Sorry because this is off topic but how did you study? I’m OMS1 and still working out my study habits so I’m asking around about what did and didn’t work for folks.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Despite what you read, above, from fellow students who are not in a great position to give advice, do not apply to dozens of programs. This assumes that the rest of your application is adequate, and there are no red flags. You might apply to a couple of academic programs, but I agree about applying somewhat broadly to community-based programs. Unless you have an extremely compelling reason, don't limit applications to your home state.
Plan to rank 15-20 programs if possible, and do not rank a program you don't like - god knows you'll end up matching there.
Just curious - how are students that just went through the match not in a good position to give advice on the match?

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious - how are students that just went through the match not in a good position to give advice on the match?
  1. It's not at all clear if the responses are from people who just went through the match, versus people who've heard from people.
  2. Those matched (and unmatched) students only know what worked for them (or not). For the most part, they have no idea of the strength or weaknesses of their classmate's applications to put those other reported experiences into perspective.
  3. I've read a few thousand applications over the years for both my program, our categorical programs, and our Transitional Year program (before it was discontinued. Experience >1 match plus knowing the stats for matching applications makes me a relative expert.
That's how.

ps: your experience as an applicant to radiology or surgery programs is not transferrable to internal medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied IM this year. Feel like i did pretty good (>30 interviews) so i feel confident to suggest the following:

A) Like @Goro said, apply to programs previous classes matched at. Even if you don't exactly meet their cut-off scores. You'll be surprised a lot of programs will give you an interview based on your school alone.

B) Read the 2021 spreadsheet. Check where people w/ your stats and region had interviews at.

C) check out residency explorer and frieda. If you clear 50th percentile for step 1 then you've got a shot. If the program has at least 1 DO in the past class then you've got a shot.

D) Do well on step 2 (>230) and take it before applications are submitted (Sept 1st, from last i heard). At least get an improving score (>480) on level 2. Get involved on the Step 2 Experiences thread.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
  1. It's not at all clear if the responses are from people who just went through the match, versus people who've heard from people.
  2. Those matched (and unmatched) students only know what worked for them (or not). For the most part, they have no idea of the strength or weaknesses of their classmate's applications to put those other reported experiences into perspective.
  3. I've read a few thousand applications over the years for both my program, our categorical programs, and our Transitional Year program (before it was discontinued. Experience >1 match plus knowing the stats for matching applications makes me a relative expert.
That's how.

ps: your experience as an applicant to radiology or surgery programs is not transferrable to internal medicine.
This is how people run into trouble with the match. They listen to people who are pretty removed from the actual match process on the applicant side. Your experience on the other side of the curtain at 1 institution does not make you any more of a relative expert than anyone who has gone through the match recently.

I’ve seen applicants burned by terrible advising from PDs such as yourself just as much as designated school “advisors.”

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Applied IM this year. Feel like i did pretty good (>30 interviews) so i feel confident to suggest the following:

A) Like @Goro said, apply to programs previous classes matched at. Even if you don't exactly meet their cut-off scores. You'll be surprised a lot of programs will give you an interview based on your school alone.

B) Read the 2021 spreadsheet. Check where people w/ your stats and region had interviews at.

C) check out residency explorer and frieda. If you clear 50th percentile for step 1 then you've got a shot. If the program has at least 1 DO in the past class then you've got a shot.

D) Do well on step 2 (>230) and take it before applications are submitted (Sept 1st, from last i heard). At least get an improving score (>480) on level 2. Get involved on the Step 2 Experiences thread.
OP I would listen to this advice.

Reactions: 3 users
It's important to reiterate - don't solely use freida/residency explorer to figure out where to apply. They're helpful as a guide but use common sense. Your regional programs, programs where your alumni went, DO heavy programs etc will often interview you even if you don't meet the cutoffs posted

This is how people run into trouble with the match. They listen to people who are pretty removed from the actual match process on the applicant side. Your experience on the other side of the curtain at 1 institution does not make you any more of a relative expert than anyone who has gone through the match recently.

I’ve seen applicants burned by terrible advising from PDs such as yourself just as much as designated school “advisors.”
This is the guy who wanted me to cite a freaking paper that some programs yield protect by not offering interviews to applicants they feel are too competitive. Then he went on to say that because he was a PD his N=1 was more pertinent than the fact that NAPD on our own forum and many, many applicants and residents have said that there program does yield protect for sure. Don't waste your breath engaging. It's not a good faith conversation.

OP should do what he wants but a definite truth is that he/she shouldn't take one person's advice as gospel no matter who they are. That will burn you in preclinical years and clinical years.

I know someone from class of 2020 who matched university IM at a NYC hospital that matches well to some decently competitive subpsecialties (think rheum/endo/allergy/heme/onc). Had a lower COMLEX 1 than you (<450), no Step 1, Level 2 (never asked the range but hinted it was below average), Step 2 (220-230).

You're more than fine.
Mind if I ask what program?