DO What are my chances for DO with these stats? Got a lower MCAT then desired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrexdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new here so please don't shred me too much if this is not the proper format or in the wrong location.

Basically my MCAT came back lower then wanted (a lot lower): 503 total -- 127/126/124/126
Some kid was typing away a storm during the BIO section for a non-MCAT exam right behind me and it greatly distracted me to the point I called the proctor over.

Anyways have a 3.47sGPA and 3.44cGPA, dual BS/MS in Biomedical Engineering, over 2500hrs of research (3 years plus at this point), 400+ hours of animal surgery for research (live rats), 100hrs shadowing, 40hrs clinical volunteering, and have worked 2 full-time jobs for 6 months each at medical device companies in R&D (about 2100hrs total), and also have strong LORs. I want to know if I have a chance at DO schools or if I need to retake my MCAT because the one bad score in BIO? Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am more concerned about lack of clinical hours. Your stats are good enough to get you multiple interview invites but that lack of clinical may hurt your application more than the MCAT score.

I am more concerned about lack of clinical hours. Your stats are good enough to get you multiple interview invites but that lack of clinical may hurt your application more than the MCAT score.
Thank you for your feedback.

I originally was looking at PhD -- which my stats show clearly, and then switched. Would I be able to address the decreased clinical hours by explaining my time was spent doing research instead? I also have 100+ hrs of clinical research at Jefferson University so could tie that over as possible clinical hours if need be? (Discussing that with my advisor in a week)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback.

I originally was looking at PhD -- which my stats show clearly, and then switched. Would I be able to address the decreased clinical hours by explaining my time was spent doing research instead? I also have 100+ hrs of clinical research at Jefferson University so could tie that over as possible clinical hours if need be? (Discussing that with my advisor in a week)

If the clinical research at Jefferson involved patient interaction, then by all means label that as clinical experience than research.

If the clinical research at Jefferson involved patient interaction, then by all means label that as clinical experience than research.

It involved some, but a majority of it was data mining after the brief patient interaction so hesitant to put that on. Appreciate the feedback. The BIO section is not glaring though? Not worth waiting and doing a retake? I was averaging 507s on NS practice exams so this threw me a bit

You are competitive for some DO schools so consider all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LECOM
ATSU-SOMA

I think overall your stats are pretty competitive for DO schools. Just as another person pointed out though, your lack of clinical volunteering is a little worrisome. I would try and up that number to around 100 and I think you'll be in pretty good shape.

I think overall your stats are pretty competitive for DO schools. Just as another person pointed out though, your lack of clinical volunteering is a little worrisome. I would try and up that number to around 100 and I think you'll be in pretty good shape.
I have at least 60+ hours at Jefferson doing clinical research, so I will just incorporate that in somehow I guess. Thank you for your feedback! Appreciate it, I thought I blew my chances with my MCAT