Aug 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, long time reader here.

So I just received my mcat (509, C/P 129, CR 128, BIO 127 and 125 Psych??) and would ask all the good souls here with school selection.
Very shorthly, I'm 26, IL resident, BS in math from UIC (cGPA 3.8, sGPA including math around 3.7) worked on two research projects, 1 for a 1.5 years (no pub, just capstone :( and math research in geometry, got another poster) volunteered as a Polish interpreter in free clinic ~ 100 hrs, volunteered in a hospital ~ 100 hrs ( radiology dept.), volunteered ~ 100 hrs in my building with donations etc. have been playing music and gigs throughout college, and I got my EMT licence in January (haven't had time to start a job yet, waiting to get cleared), shadowing ~ 60 hrs.
I also had to support myself through college (was working as a tutor and computer repairman) --> unfortunately no clear leadership positions due to having had to work all the time.
Lastly, I submitted my app July 14 and still waiting to be verified (got 7 good LORs though).
In closing, could you guys help me with some med school choices (I know Rush is out of question since they want more volunteering hrs.). Also, I know I could do much better on the mcat (was scoring in 516s on practice) so would it be wise to just wait a year, beef up my app or am I good to go?
Great thanks from another neurotic premed :)

My list so far: (not very extensive)

UIC (alma mater)
Loyola
SIU
NYMC
Creighton
Penn State ??

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You could add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
St. Louis
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
It is important to submit all your secondaries by early September.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I recommend building up more service hrs (your app is very cookie cutter)

For schools, try:

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program

Your state school(s). But skip SIU IF you're not from southern ILL.

Hello everyone, long time reader here.

So I just received my mcat (509, C/P 129, CR 128, BIO 127 and 125 Psych??) and would ask all the good souls here with school selection.
Very shorthly, I'm 26, IL resident, BS in math from UIC (cGPA 3.8, sGPA including math around 3.7) worked on two research projects, 1 for a 1.5 years (no pub, just capstone :( and math research in geometry, got another poster) volunteered as a Polish interpreter in free clinic ~ 100 hrs, volunteered in a hospital ~ 100 hrs ( radiology dept.), volunteered ~ 100 hrs in my building with donations etc. have been playing music and gigs throughout college, and I got my EMT licence in January (haven't had time to start a job yet, waiting to get cleared), shadowing ~ 60 hrs.
I also had to support myself through college (was working as a tutor and computer repairman) --> unfortunately no clear leadership positions due to having had to work all the time.
Lastly, I submitted my app July 14 and still waiting to be verified (got 7 good LORs though).
In closing, could you guys help me with some med school choices (I know Rush is out of question since they want more volunteering hrs.). Also, I know I could do much better on the mcat (was scoring in 516s on practice) so would it be wise to just wait a year, beef up my app or am I good to go?
Great thanks from another neurotic premed :)

My list so far: (not very extensive)

UIC (alma mater)
Loyola
SIU
NYMC
Creighton
Penn State ??

OP
J
Aug 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you Goro. Would you say that building up service hours right now would help my case greatly? Also, should I retake the MCAT and wait another cycle while building up my community hours or should I just go ahead and finish what I started this cycle? Great thanks for all of the invaluable insights!