What are my chances in Texas pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vermicularius

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident at an A&M branch school. I'm hoping to get accepted into pharmacy school for fall of 2018. I wanted to see what my chances were for getting accepted into a school in Texas. My primary school would be A&M because I'm familiar with it, but would really like to go to UT Austin or Incarnate Word. My PCAT percentile was in the 86th. GPA is a 3.99, 3.98 prepharmacy gpa. I have organization involvement and officership (just dedicated to one org.) . I have a tutoring job and recently got hired as a pharmacy technician. I have 2 professors for recommendations and hopefully one from the pharmacist I'm working under.
If anybody has any idea if my chances are well for landing an interview or pieces of advise of this I should consider. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds too specific to be a troll...My advice is to work the pharmacy tech job before making your final decision. Look through ALL of the SDN Pharmacy forums (as well as reddit.com/r/pharmacy), which provides plenty of info and opinions from current pharmacists on what the job market is like. If all is fine and dandy and you have a strong passion for pharmacy, then yes, I think a 3.99 GPA will be just fine. Be ready to explain during your interview why you couldn't reach that 4.0.

I am a Texas resident at an A&M branch school. I'm hoping to get accepted into pharmacy school for fall of 2018. I wanted to see what my chances were for getting accepted into a school in Texas. My primary school would be A&M because I'm familiar with it, but would really like to go to UT Austin or Incarnate Word. My PCAT percentile was in the 86th. GPA is a 3.99, 3.98 prepharmacy gpa. I have organization involvement and officership (just dedicated to one org.) . I have a tutoring job and recently got hired as a pharmacy technician. I have 2 professors for recommendations and hopefully one from the pharmacist I'm working under.
If anybody has any idea if my chances are well for landing an interview or pieces of advise of this I should consider. Thanks

It is 2017 in pharmacy...if you lack a criminal record and are willing to sign off on loans, you'll get in a pharmacy school. Just know by the time you graduate new schools will be graduating students, constricting a pretty tight job market even more. If you're OK with west TX or the Rio Grande valley you'll be OK.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd avoid incarnate word. Too expensive and their Naplex pass rate is on the decline.

Reactions: 1 users
so you're telling us that your GPA is below 4.0? I think ur chances are minimal at best until you improve your GPA.
I've been told that GPA's and PCAT scores are only to keep your application out of the initial elimination. I'm talking more about experiences, services, and pharm. involvement. Unless they only tell us this to make the those with lower GPA's feel better...?

I've been told that GPA's and PCAT scores are only to keep your application out of the initial elimination. I'm talking more about experiences, services, and pharm. involvement. Unless they only tell us this to make the those with lower GPA's feel better...?

Average acceptance stats of the pharm school near me is 3.0 GPA and 40 PCAT. You will get into a school as long as you don't **** on your evaluators in interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Average acceptance stats of the pharm school near me is 3.0 GPA and 40 PCAT. You will get into a school as long as you don't **** on your evaluators in interviews.
What school is this?

I just graduated and got licensed in Texas and let me just say that the major cities are extremely saturated. Stay away from pharmacy- you might as well just go to med school instead

Talk about overqualified. They’ll question you why you aren’t going to med school. They might worry that once you get into med school you’ll drop out of pharmacy school and cost the school a few years of tuition money.

If you are wanting to enter pharmacy school IN Fall 2018, it's too late for schools like UT. They're done with interviews and have already accepted their Class of 2022. If you meant applying for Fall 2018 cycle, your stats are competitive and I'm sure you'll get interviews at any school you apply to :)