What are my chances of getting in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladaystars

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from loyola university with a bachelors in chem/biochem.
GPA 3.45
SciGPA 3.2
DAT 18
I applied to 3 dental schools and did not receive any interviews. I had a lot of different factors going on at home and decided to go to dental hygiene school, but I still really want to go to dental school. I have also taken all my pre-reqs. at loyola.
What do you advise me? What are my chances after dental hygiene school of being accepted to dental school? Should I retake the DAT? Where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your cGPA is ok, and your sGPA is a little on the low end, but I think its your DAT holding you back, hands down. If I were you, I would retake it and aim for at least a 20+ TS and AA. Good luck to you. Also, I really don't think dental hygiene school is necessary, at all. Your better off enrolling in a master's program and finishing in one year. You should also apply to a lot more schools. This obviously improves your chances of getting accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you DrRoyal Pains for your advise! I think I will take the DAT again... but I am already enrolled in a hygiene program, and I heard a lot of people saying that it was not helpful and at least it can't hurt, right? However, it is only a year and a half program. The classes are all dental related and so far it's more relatable than what I was taking as a chemistry/biochemistry major. Do you think that if I get a much higher GPA, around 3.8, that they will take that into consideration or more likely look at the Loyola GPA? Thanks again for your response!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate GPA, I believe, is weighed the most. It shows how serious you are from the start. If you can score high on the DAT this time around and get a high GPA in your dental hygiene courses, then I think you have a great shot. But do you plan on working for a certain time period as a dental assistant? Because I don't see what the point is of becoming a certified dental assistant, if your not even going to utilize the degree.