What are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trojanman217

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to know if I have a chance to get in a med school this year or should I wait a year. Most people I know are applying this year and it would be nice to go through the med school process with them.

cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.05 MCAT 25
California native, URM

ECs-
2 years volenteering in a hospital- lots of patient interaction
1 year of research
Medical mission to Panama, (played active role planning it)
Volunteered at 2 health fairs with lots of patient interaction
2 medical conferences attended
Board member of my schools pre-med club

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys wanted to know if I have a chance to get in a med school this year or should I wait a year. Most people I know are applying this year and it would be nice to go through the med school process with them.

cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.05 MCAT 25
California native, URM

ECs-
2 years volenteering in a hospital- lots of patient interaction
1 year of research
Medical mission to Panama, (played active role planning it)
Volunteered at 2 health fairs with lots of patient interaction
2 medical conferences attended
Board member of my schools pre-med club

Is this why you want to become a physician?

Anyway, apply broadly this year, play the volunteerism/humanitarianism card, and you might have a chance.

I recommend retaking the MCAT if you do not get in this year, but best of luck.

Anyway, apply broadly this year, play the volunteerism/humanitarianism card, and you might have a chance.

I disagree. This year is too late with those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT score might fly if the subscores are balanced, but I'd suggest working on sGPA improvement over the next year before applying. If pertinent, take advantage of AACOMAS' grade replacement policy by retaking whatever is dragging your BCPM down (must be same credit hours or greater). And/or take some new upper-level Bio. Get all As, of course.

Depends. Black URM applying to DO do have a very generous standard deviation dipping down to 2.8. If you're a Hispanic URM, you're not in this generous place. Both your cGPA and sGPA would be below the standard deviation, and depending on the college, your MCAT may not even be at the average.

In sum, black = you have a change. Other URM = low chance.

Thanks for the response...Yea I'm Black

Morsetlis said:

Oh of course not... I believe being a physician is a calling. What I was trying to say, but I was rushing, That I wanted to apply to this cycle because alot of my other pre- health friends are going to apply this cycle. On top a that Im a senior so I dont want to take a year off. If I do take a year off Ill be 25 when I start med school. I know thats not that old but i would be nice to get started. I will definitely take your advice. Thank you.

Catalystik said:
Your MCAT score might fly if the subscores are balanced, but I'd suggest working on sGPA improvement over the next year before applying. If pertinent, take advantage of AACOMAS' grade replacement policy by retaking whatever is dragging your BCPM down (must be same credit hours or greater). And/or take some new upper-level Bio. Get all As, of course.

My MCAT is 7VR 8PS 10BS...Yea my MCAT was a little tuff. I had to take it in mid June, and during the semester before it i had to take 4 upper division science classes so I couldnt focus as much as I wanted to on it. But no excusess, I'll definitely take your advice