MD What are my chances... of getting off waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T3ckFr3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently on 2 MD wait lists with no interviews coming up. My stats are 3.4 GPA, 31 MCAT. I'm a year out of college and am serving with AmeriCorps. In addition, I have been working with nonprofit clinics specifically aimed towards serving the uninsured for the past 2 years while in college. I've also been involved in trying to get folks signed up with the health exchanges established by the ACA.

My question is how realistic of a shot should I expect to be able to get in this cycle? I keep hearing horror stories about medical school wait lists as being practically rejections and I would appreciate any tips or just encouragement. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Chances of getting of a waitlist vary highly from school to school. Some fill half their class with people who first spent time on the waitlist and some take <10 off the waitlist every year. You could try looking through the school-specific threads from previous years to figure out if there was much waitlist movement at the schools in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools also have unranked waitlists, so it's important to show your continued interest in them (so they don't have to make 5 phone calls for one spot). Send update letters and letters of interests to them.