What are my chances? Overall GPA 3.67

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcyoga

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm hoping to apply to DO programs this upcoming summer, and was hoping someone could take a look at my profile to see what my chances are of getting in.

I applied to some MD programs this past cycle and unfortunately only got one deferral after one interview.

I am currently a year out from college and am working as a scribe and medical assistant. I'm a California resident and went to college in California. I double majored in college including public health, and spent 4.5 years there. I went to a pretty top university. My overall GPA is 3.67, BCPM GPA 3.45, with a major upward trend in my last year and a half in college. My BCPM GPA during my last year and a half is 3.82. While I have a good amount of clinical experience from my current jobs, I also have a lot of extracurriculars. I did a lot of volunteering with seniors and the underserved population, and do have leadership as the President of a club and coordinator of certain services. My MCAT score 510. I have some research experience.

As for LOR, I'm afraid that may be a weak point. One is from an astronomy professor, another an epidemiology professor, another humanities, and lastly from volunteering. I'm currently shadowing a DO and will likely get around 30 hours of shadowing and will be seeking a LOR from the DO.

What should my school list look like and do you think I have a good chance of getting into a DO program this summer? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to this past cycle and where were you interviewed ?
I applied to the California schools, Drexel, Rosalind Mary, Albany, Albert Einstein, Tufts, Sidney Kimmel, Loyola, Tulane, Rush, Quinnipiac, Geisinger. I interviewed at Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews. For MD schools you could try these:
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
New York Medical College
Temple
Penn State
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
You could also reapply to Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Jefferson, Rush and Quinnipiac

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews. For MD schools you could try these:
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
New York Medical College
Temple
Penn State
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
You could also reapply to Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Jefferson, Rush and Quinnipiac

Thank you Faha! If I reapply to Drexel, etc., I'm concerned that there might not be enough change on my application. Also, for the schools that I submitted a primary to, but did not do a secondary, am I still considered a reapplicant?

Thank you Faha! If I reapply to Drexel, etc., I'm concerned that there might not be enough change on my application. Also, for the schools that I submitted a primary to, but did not do a secondary, am I still considered a reapplicant?
You are a reapplicant at any school you submitted a primary to. If Drexel was interested in you this time there is no reason they will not consider you again. Indeed, you could still be accepted there this cycle.

California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
New York Medical College
Temple
Penn State
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
I agree with the wise Faha.

Also add Albany, Wake, Wayne State, UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire, EVMS, VCU and Rush

I agree with the wise Faha.

Also add Albany, Wake, Wayne State, UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire, EVMS, VCU and Rush

Thanks, Goro! I appreciate all the advice from you and Faha

@Goro or @Faha Do you think I have a solid shot at getting into Touro-Vallejo? Their average GPA is 3.51,sGPA 3.45 and MCAT 508. I know I'm just a hair above average here, but given that I also have a good amount of community work and clinical experience, do you think I have a solid shot?

Not Goro or Faha, but you've got an upward trend which is good, and which you didn't have last cycle. You should be a competitive applicant there.

Not Goro or Faha, but you've got an upward trend which is good, and which you didn't have last cycle. You should be a competitive applicant there.
What do you mean by "which you didn't have last cycle"?