What are my chances? ..Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BadFish10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an incoming junior at University of Delaware and am interested in medical or dental school. I have always loved helping people and like the hands on aspect of dental and medical specialties. I started my undergrad at Hofstra and ended with a 3.6 at the end of freshman year, but I had slacked off severely this year during my first year at University of Delaware and got 2 C-'s, 2 W's and am currently facing another bad grade in one of my summer courses which could end up as anything from a C to an F. My current gpa from this year is around a 2.5. If I really buckle down and get A's in my junior and senior year at University of Delaware and perhaps take an additional year of college with all A's, do you think I stand any chance at dental or medical school admission? I know I have the ability to do well in all my courses if I really try hard but I'm just not sure I can even be competitive to get in anywhere and I'm beginning to fear my hopes for any kind of medical/dental specialty are pretty much gone.:( Does anyone have any advice or an opinion of my situation? Will 2 withdrawals, 2 C-'s and another C,D or F butcher my chances? Should I start to consider other occupations?? Please be honest regardless of whether I will like the response or not. Thank you!!
By the way I was also going to major in Biology if that has any impact on your answer..

Members don't see this ad.

3 or 4 semesters of all A's with a heavy density of science classes can right many wrongs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an incoming junior at University of Delaware and am interested in medical or dental school. I have always loved helping people and like the hands on aspect of dental and medical specialties. I started my undergrad at Hofstra and ended with a 3.6 at the end of freshman year, but I had slacked off severely this year during my first year at University of Delaware and got 2 C-'s, 2 W's and am currently facing another bad grade in one of my summer courses which could end up as anything from a C to an F. My current gpa from this year is around a 2.5. If I really buckle down and get A's in my junior and senior year at University of Delaware and perhaps take an additional year of college with all A's, do you think I stand any chance at dental or medical school admission? I know I have the ability to do well in all my courses if I really try hard but I'm just not sure I can even be competitive to get in anywhere and I'm beginning to fear my hopes for any kind of medical/dental specialty are pretty much gone.:( Does anyone have any advice or an opinion of my situation? Will 2 withdrawals, 2 C-'s and another C,D or F butcher my chances? Should I start to consider other occupations?? Please be honest regardless of whether I will like the response or not. Thank you!!
By the way I was also going to major in Biology if that has any impact on your answer..

You're certainly not out of the game, but you will need to take some tough classes next year and ace them. I've heard from multiple friends that UD has some difficult sequences, especially orgo.

Gpa is also just one part of the entire application. Studying hard and acing the dat will help neutralize a sub-par gpa, and having great ecs, research, lors, shadowing, and service surely helps.

Do you mind me asking if you are a DE resident?

Ok great thank you for the replies I really appreciate it and yes I am a DE resident and GJMeig I will PM you soon! Thanks for your advice I just hope my situation isn't completely hopeless

3 or 4 semesters of all A's with a heavy density of science classes can right many wrongs.
Agreed. Work ethic is very important in both professions. It is still possible to prove to them that.

OP,

There are currently 65 ds (and growing) and 170 ms (and growing) to choose from. Make sure you shadow both professions and find out which professions you can see yourself doing 9-5.

GL.:luck:

Ok great thank you for the replies I really appreciate it and yes I am a DE resident and GJMeig I will PM you soon! Thanks for your advice I just hope my situation isn't completely hopeless

Well you might take a bit of solace in knowing that temple does reserve 3 seats each year for DE residents... Not nearly as good as having a state school, but better than nothing. ;)

@Squigloo that's good news I just hope I can become competitive enough to make that a reality!

Last edited:
@BadFish10 Try your best to salvage that summer course grade and avoid getting the D or F at all costs. At this point, take as many upper level science courses as possible and strive for As. If you really want this, you must work hard now and study hard for not only your courses but also the MCAT or DAT. If you are unsure of which path to pursue, shadowing in both fields can shed some insight as to which one you like more. You can do it, just need to stay focused and work hard! :thumbup:

Last edited:
@BadFish10 Try your best to salvage that summer course grade and avoid getting the D or F at all costs. At this point, take as many upper level science courses as possible and strive for As. If you really want this, you must work hard now and study hard for not only your courses but also the MCAT or DAT. If you are unsure of which path to pursue, shadowing in both fields can shed some insight as to which one you like more. You can do it, just need to stay focused and work hard! :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice I hope so, I just can't see why I would be accepted if there are others applying with no bad grades and a higher Gpa that they can accept instead. I'm just trying to be realistic about my chances at this point