Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
This is my first post and I'm a little hesitant to do so due to the chance of getting flamed but if I get any good feedback/tips it will be worth it 🙂 looking for schools you all think I should apply to and have a shot of getting accepted at. Any advice and insights welcome.
I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I've studied for 2 months and my last practice test was a 509. I'm taking it in 2 months. Hoping for at least a 516.
Here's my stats/EC's:
cGPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 516?
Undergrad: private institution. Ranked like 50 or so.
Major: Public Health
I'm half white half Chinese. Double over represented haha. And I'm a guy.
1- Started an extracurricular anatomy program for underserved high school students. We're at 3 high schools right now and expanding. Presented at a conference. Probably put in 500 hours or so. Might become a non-profit soon but we'll see.
2- Did some research on the refugee landscape in the US and what services/programs are offered to them. We looked at employment, education, and healthcare services. Submitted to a journal recently and waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed for a publication. If not, we had a poster presentation.
3- Did some research on bariatric surgery outcomes in obese adolescents with one of my mentors, who's a professor at Stanford Med School (he's writing me a letter). We're comparing outcomes in the US to countries around the world. US outcomes are worse. Possibly due to socioeconomic status, food deserts, etc. Won't be published by spring, but might be submitted.
4/5- TA'd for the anatomy course and infectious diseases course at my university.
6- Worked at home care hospice-type thing for a summer. 200 hours.
7- My parents own a local business and I've worked there since high school. 2500 hours or so. I work there to help them out.
8- I interned at Habitat for Humanity for a summer. They build houses for low-income families. I created surveys for them and analyzed some of the data so they can get more grant money. Interviewed some of the low-income families in their homes.
9- I'm going to start working as a scribe in a family med clinic this summer and will pretty much be full-time. By the time I matriculate it should be 2000 hours.
10- Phi Kappa Phi, Dean's list, full scholarship named after someone with a fancy name. Should sound good?
11- I'll have about 50 shadowing hours. Family doctor, ENT, neurosurgeon, oncologist, derm.
12- Hospital volunteer for 50 hours.
13- Research- worked in a lab for a a couple semesters my freshman year and did PCR and gels and stuff. Also helped out in some other epidemiological research about asthma. Together probably 150 hours.
14- Last thing is I'm writing an article about pre-medical education and I hope to get it published in my university newspaper/magazine. I have a friend who's an editor for the magazine so that would be pretty cool.
15- Have some other random stuff that is decent. Haven't decided what else I want to put though.
Things important to me in schools:
-Number one thing is not in NYC. Cities and urban living are fine, but NYC is a bit too much for me for 4 years. Dartmouth sounds pretty nice... And cities are fine. Just NYC, maybe SF too. Little large.
-I have a big interest in underserved populations, health policy, and healthcare delivery and reform, so any school with connections and good programs = I'm definitely interested.
-I like the humanities in medicine and writing and stuff so any schools with cool, related tracks would be pretty rad. (I love Oliver Sacks and Atul Gawande and those peeps.)
-P/F basically a must. Needs to have a collaborative culture. (I don't know how I made it through pre-med. Seriously.)
This was mega long but any input would be super helpful.
This is my first post and I'm a little hesitant to do so due to the chance of getting flamed but if I get any good feedback/tips it will be worth it 🙂 looking for schools you all think I should apply to and have a shot of getting accepted at. Any advice and insights welcome.
I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I've studied for 2 months and my last practice test was a 509. I'm taking it in 2 months. Hoping for at least a 516.
Here's my stats/EC's:
cGPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 516?
Undergrad: private institution. Ranked like 50 or so.
Major: Public Health
I'm half white half Chinese. Double over represented haha. And I'm a guy.
1- Started an extracurricular anatomy program for underserved high school students. We're at 3 high schools right now and expanding. Presented at a conference. Probably put in 500 hours or so. Might become a non-profit soon but we'll see.
2- Did some research on the refugee landscape in the US and what services/programs are offered to them. We looked at employment, education, and healthcare services. Submitted to a journal recently and waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed for a publication. If not, we had a poster presentation.
3- Did some research on bariatric surgery outcomes in obese adolescents with one of my mentors, who's a professor at Stanford Med School (he's writing me a letter). We're comparing outcomes in the US to countries around the world. US outcomes are worse. Possibly due to socioeconomic status, food deserts, etc. Won't be published by spring, but might be submitted.
4/5- TA'd for the anatomy course and infectious diseases course at my university.
6- Worked at home care hospice-type thing for a summer. 200 hours.
7- My parents own a local business and I've worked there since high school. 2500 hours or so. I work there to help them out.
8- I interned at Habitat for Humanity for a summer. They build houses for low-income families. I created surveys for them and analyzed some of the data so they can get more grant money. Interviewed some of the low-income families in their homes.
9- I'm going to start working as a scribe in a family med clinic this summer and will pretty much be full-time. By the time I matriculate it should be 2000 hours.
10- Phi Kappa Phi, Dean's list, full scholarship named after someone with a fancy name. Should sound good?
11- I'll have about 50 shadowing hours. Family doctor, ENT, neurosurgeon, oncologist, derm.
12- Hospital volunteer for 50 hours.
13- Research- worked in a lab for a a couple semesters my freshman year and did PCR and gels and stuff. Also helped out in some other epidemiological research about asthma. Together probably 150 hours.
14- Last thing is I'm writing an article about pre-medical education and I hope to get it published in my university newspaper/magazine. I have a friend who's an editor for the magazine so that would be pretty cool.
15- Have some other random stuff that is decent. Haven't decided what else I want to put though.
Things important to me in schools:
-Number one thing is not in NYC. Cities and urban living are fine, but NYC is a bit too much for me for 4 years. Dartmouth sounds pretty nice... And cities are fine. Just NYC, maybe SF too. Little large.
-I have a big interest in underserved populations, health policy, and healthcare delivery and reform, so any school with connections and good programs = I'm definitely interested.
-I like the humanities in medicine and writing and stuff so any schools with cool, related tracks would be pretty rad. (I love Oliver Sacks and Atul Gawande and those peeps.)
-P/F basically a must. Needs to have a collaborative culture. (I don't know how I made it through pre-med. Seriously.)
This was mega long but any input would be super helpful.