What are my chances... yikes am I getting old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joanna.krystyna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergraduate (Mol. Bio) at loyola university chicago:
  • cGPA: 3.3
  • sGPA: 3.1 (upward trend from rocky start to straight A's)
  • first generation, not necessarily underrep but my family (form rural poland) has dealt with immigration/financial/healthcare issues
  • 1000+ of volunteering, mostly as a volunteer EMT, also at a free clinic, physical rehabilitation center,200 hours shadowing
  • Head of 4 clubs :EMS, Red Cross, Model United Nations, alternative break immersion program
  • Worked 1-3 jobs though out school (lifeguard, CPR instructor, EMT TA)
  • Research both locally (for a few months), and globally(two internships)
  • Black belt/ martial arts instructor
Masters (Immunology) at johns hopkins bloomberg school of public health:
  • cGPA: 3.5
  • sGPA: 3.6
  • Volunteer CPR and First aid Instructor
  • Nutrition instructor for after school program
  • Tutor at an after school program
Post Masters:
  • Work full time for FDA doing research (member of seminar club, flow cytometry coordinator, and safety volunteer at work) Soon to be published
  • shadow at NIH ICU rounds
  • volunteer CPR and first aid instructor
  • Still do martial arts
  • taking graduate classes at NIH
  • soon to be ER volunteer at hospital
Other:
Great recs overall
Took MCAT over 3 years ago (27), new MCAT will be taken

Sorry its a lot, but I would appreciate any feedback :) What are my chances? Can I do anything to improve? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have very strong ec's and what looks like a good app overall. How you do on the MCAT will determine if you can go md or do. As long as your MCAT score doesn't go dramatically down you will def get in somewhere. And make sure to apply early!

Reactions: 1 user
Concur. Make sure you include your state schools and some DO schools in your list. Avoid all schools that average MCAT scores.

You have very strong ec's and what looks like a good app overall. How you do on the MCAT will determine if you can go md or do. As long as your MCAT score doesn't go dramatically down you will def get in somewhere. And make sure to apply early!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input referee3! Not looking forward to taking the new MCAT but I'm sure I will do better that when I took the old one in undergrad.

Concur. Make sure you include your state schools and some DO schools in your list. Avoid all schools that average MCAT scores.
Would schools that average look at scores that are over 3 years old? Many schools I've looked at don't even accept older scores