What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SphereGlobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've learned so much from reading this forum and am grateful to all who have contributed. I'm planning to apply this year to ophtho and was wondering if I could ask for your thoughts on my application.

Step 1: 235
Top 10
ivy school
Grades: all honors in clerkships so far.
ECs: Nothing special with extracurriculars other than standard volunteering.
Research: Though I just decided to do ophtho this year, I've been productive in my research efforts. My advisor, the department chair, wants to submit two first-author manuscripts in preparation to Ophthalmology and the third to JAMA (I was surprised. These are his decisions, not mine). I plan to also submit all these to present at major conferences. In addition, I have three basic science papers I published earlier in med school leftover from my research years before med school, and two posters in another field at a national meeting. Since these manuscripts are almost complete and I have a few other projects in the pipeline, I also hope to have an additional two at least under submission by the time I apply five months from now. All in all, I expect I'll have between 5-7 manuscripts (4 first author, at least published or under submission) and a smattering of other conference posters by the time I apply.

Will my step 1 score keep me out of good ophtho programs? I really care a lot about receiving good training and am very concerned that this poor score will be prohibitive. However, I am directing most of my remaining time towards my research, clerkship grades and my relationship with my advisor rather than studying for step 2.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your app is solid, will you be AOA? your step 1 is on the lower side but with the rest of your application, I believe you will be fine. You could take Step 2 early if you are very concerned.

Apply to a good mix of mid to high tier programs and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised where you get your invites. Ophtho is a small field, having your chair go to bat for you (and hopefully writing you an outstanding letter) will do wonders.

If there is a particular program you are interested in, you could do an away to increase your chances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Will my step 1 score keep me out of good ophtho programs? I really care a lot about receiving good training and am very concerned that this poor score will be prohibitive.

Your Step 1 is well within 1 STD of the mean applicant score and totally reasonable to apply with, though I'm sure you will stress about it being "below average" until the day you match. Your research projects will look great on your application and a well wrought recommendation from your chair, especially if it is a well-known someone, could go a very, very LONG way. The fact that you attend what is presumably a top med school also puts you at a big advantage compared to better applicants from lesser regarded schools.

Like with all these posts, I feel like all the poster ever wants to hear is, "you will match." So, in my opinion, unless you're an obvious jerk in person, you will most likely match.

In response to your, "I really care a lot about good training," and "good ophtho programs"... this is not in direct response to you in particular, but one thing that drives me effing crazy about a lot of what gets written on this message board is the endless obsession with tier and perseverating about the relative quality of programs, especially among what's considered "the top" (like there's actually threads started by people agonizing how to rank Wills over Bascom).

This obsession with stratifying is endemic in medicine in general, but I think it's important for all hopeful applicants to know that you will receive "good training" at literally almost all of the programs out there with a minor handful of exceptions -- and most of these exceptions will be known to you either before you apply or after you interview. Every single program has pros and cons. Even the very top. In my opinion, it's most important to find the best fit, which will be different for everyone and for different reasons. But this nonsense "I got a ____ on my Step 1, or I don't have 8 first author papers so I'm worried I may not get good training" mentality needs to stop.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate your responses! Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try not to give in to dismay when thinking about my step 1 score and hope for the best. Knowing that most places offer at least a decent level of training is important perspective. Thanks!

The top 10 school will get you in. Kinda sucks for those of us not from top 10s, but programs really do care about this. A lot.

Reactions: 1 user
The top 10 school will get you in. Kinda sucks for those of us not from top 10s, but programs really do care about this. A lot.

A LOT :)
You crack me up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well they do! LOL. I got burned by it pretty bad so now I go out of my way to warn people xD

He's right. Pedigree matters so much especially at upper tier places. They think that Harvard students are the best because of where they went. Plain and simple...scores to a degree play a role but at the end of the day, ophtho is a small community and so few spots so where you go to med school and undergrad can put you over the hump. Also, research and who wrote your letters. That's what they care about. It's a lot more political in ophtho than in other fields like Peds or medicine. So the top 10 med school alone and research will open doors for you at places like wills and Bascom. Have mentors that can give you strong letters and even make phone calls. Connections matter so much in this field for interviewing and matching.

Reactions: 1 users
He's right. Pedigree matters so much especially at upper tier places. They think that Harvard students are the best because of where they went. Plain and simple...scores to a degree play a role but at the end of the day, ophtho is a small community and so few spots so where you go to med school and undergrad can put you over the hump. Also, research and who wrote your letters. That's what they care about. It's a lot more political in ophtho than in other fields like Peds or medicine. So the top 10 med school alone and research will open doors for you at places like wills and Bascom. Have mentors that can give you strong letters and even make phone calls. Connections matter so much in this field for interviewing and matching.

I think you mean she's right ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I think you mean she's right ;)

Elementals is a girl? I missed this factoid. I dunno why I just assume everyone on Ophtho forum is a dude.

Elementals is a girl? I missed this factoid. I dunno why I just assume everyone on Ophtho forum is a dude.

It's a well-informed hunch. I'm a woman as well :)

Bahaha. Well there is a O+ on my non-avatar. But yeah, I am female. I do post pretty neutrally, though, esp when I'm in a hurry. Not a lot of unicorns, rainbows, puppydogs and hearts over my i's xD