What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I'm taking the MCAT this saturday, and I have been taking the practice tests on Kaplan. I got 126 (average) on most sections, and my highest score overall so far has been a 504. Is that good?

Additionally, I have a 4.0 GPA as of the end of this semester, so what kind of score on the MCAT do I need to have a good chance at Texas medical schools and Baylor College of Medicine?

Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP have you taken either aamc practice exam?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm taking the MCAT this saturday, and I have been taking the practice tests on Kaplan. I got 126 (average) on most sections, and my highest score overall so far has been a 504. Is that good?

Additionally, I have a 4.0 GPA as of the end of this semester, so what kind of score on the MCAT do I need to have a good chance at Texas medical schools and Baylor College of Medicine?

Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

A 504 is the 64th percentile so closer to a 28 but either way the advice still holds. The MCAT score you need is the best possible score you can get, don't fall into the trap of becoming complacent because you only "need" a certain score. Also, I thought the Kaplan tests are harder than the real thing. 504 was the best I ever did on them and ended up with a 509 on the real thing. But keep working at it and you will be fine.

A 504 is the 64th percentile so closer to a 28 but either way the advice still holds. The MCAT score you need is the best possible score you can get, don't fall into the trap of becoming complacent because you only "need" a certain score. Also, I thought the Kaplan tests are harder than the real thing. 504 was the best I ever did on them and ended up with a 509 on the real thing. But keep working at it and you will be fine.
You are right. I corrected my post.

I have. I got about 80% on most sections. They didn't use the same scale to grade the practice test.

Like the poster above me said, Kaplan is notorious for deflated scores. I saw some statistical analysis of scores reported on Kaplan(and other test company practice) and the average increase from last kap test took to real deal from SDN users was like 14 with an SD of 3-4.(take this with a grain of salt as most SDN users seems to be the always scoring above 90th percentile).

I can't make any guarantees and the real deal can always mess with people, but >80% on all sections is very good. There's a chart somewhere around here with conversions I'll see if I can find it real quick and come back and edit this post. This probably doesn't mean much, but I hope it helps kill some nerves for your MCAT. Good luck!!

Courtesy of @mcatjelly ,

Seems around 80% on all sections is around 510-514

Not sure if the link post worked, I'm on my phone.

Like the poster above me said, Kaplan is notorious for deflated scores. I saw some statistical analysis of scores reported on Kaplan(and other test company practice) and the average increase from last kap test took to real deal from SDN users was like 14 with an SD of 3-4.(take this with a grain of salt as most SDN users seems to be the always scoring above 90th percentile).

I can't make any guarantees and the real deal can always mess with people, but >80% on all sections is very good. There's a chart somewhere around here with conversions I'll see if I can find it real quick and come back and edit this post. This probably doesn't mean much, but I hope it helps kill some nerves for your MCAT. Good luck!!

Courtesy of @mcatjelly ,

Seems around 80% on all sections is around 510-514

Not sure if the link post worked, I'm on my phone.

Wow. Thanks so much! I've been freaking out all week because I keep getting 126-127 on the chem/phys section (my worst consistently). Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Update!

521 (130/129/130/132)

Consistently 502/504/506 on 3 Kaplan FL
Unscored AAMC (85%/85%/86%/90%)

That's all I did.

This is miracle from God's throne. There is no way this is possible without God.

Reactions: 5 users
Update!

521 (130/129/130/132)

Consistently 502/504/506 on 3 Kaplan FL
Unscored AAMC (85%/85%/86%/90%)

That's all I did.

This is miracle from God's throne. There is no way this is possible without God.

Congrats!!!!! Seems as though kaplans notorious deflation still sticks. Chances are amazing as long as ECs are good, aim high

Holy **** you killed it haha my average on Kaplan was a 504 too and I only got a 507 :(

Congrats!!!!! Seems as though kaplans notorious deflation still sticks. Chances are amazing as long as ECs are good, aim high

Thank you so much. I don't have many ECs but I did shadow two doctors and did summer research for two years. What schools do you think I should look at?

Also I didn't think I was going to do this well, so my parents and I decided to apply only to Bcm on amcas. On the essay for why I shold be considered disadvantaged, I then indicated I would like to go to bcm. I don't think that will fly well with any other school I apply to though...:(

Thank you so much. I don't have many ECs but I did shadow two doctors and did summer research for two years. What schools do you think I should look at?

Also I didn't think I was going to do this well, so my parents and I decided to apply only to Bcm on amcas. On the essay for why I shold be considered disadvantaged, I then indicated I would like to go to bcm. I don't think that will fly well with any other school I apply to though...:(

Do you have volunteer hours, clinical or non-clinical? Applying to one school is always dangerous regardless of scores, I think you stand a good shot if you applied at all Texas schools and Baylor though. Have you checked to see if you can change you disadvantaged essay?(probably unlikely since you've probably already submitted, checking never hurts though)

As far as options if you have volunteering and if by chance could change your essay you'd have a shot at some top tier schools. I'm not too informed on the subject though, @gyngyn would probably be able to help though.

did you apply EDP to BCM? If I was you I would not do that and apply broadly to your state schools and some Top 20s

Do you have volunteer hours, clinical or non-clinical? Applying to one school is always dangerous regardless of scores, I think you stand a good shot if you applied at all Texas schools and Baylor though. Have you checked to see if you can change you disadvantaged essay?(probably unlikely since you've probably already submitted, checking never hurts though)

As far as options if you have volunteering and if by chance could change your essay you'd have a shot at some top tier schools. I'm not too informed on the subject though, @gyngyn would probably be able to help though.

I have less than 50 non clinical volunteer hours:(. I applied to Texas schools and BCM. I checked, and I can't edit that essay.:grumpy: Thanks for the advice though!! I just pray I get in somewhere...

I have less than 50 non clinical volunteer hours:(. I applied to Texas schools and BCM. I checked, and I can't edit that essay.:grumpy: Thanks for the advice though!! I just pray I get in somewhere...
People accidentally send love letters to the wrong school all the time.

People accidentally send love letters to the wrong school all the time.
Really? I feel like I've basically ruined all chances at any other school (AMCAS) with this. Is it taken seriously?

P.S. Thanks for replying!

Really? I feel like I've basically ruined all chances at any other school (AMCAS) with this. Is it taken seriously?

P.S. Thanks for replying!
Responses are variable. Some are irked, others just laugh.
I'm glad you posted this, though. It may deter others from sending school specific primaries and reducing the number of sonnets, as well.