DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I graduated with my Bachelor of Science this past May, and unfortunately I didn't get into any schools my last application cycle. When I applied last, I had a 3.0 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA. My MCAT was 496. I had 50 volunteer hours in a hospital, and 500+ hours volunteering for our local firehouse. I had about 50 hours of shadowing a cardiologist DO, and a letter of rec from that DO. I did have an interview with PCOM, but was rejected after. They couldn't get off the topic of my major in my interview -- pre-vet rather than pre-med. It felt like they thought medical school was my second choice to vet school...and I was still working at a vet clinic to be fair (but I definitely am 100% committed to med school)

I've been studying to retake the MCAT since I graduated in May, and I'm set to take it again in January 2017. I barely studied the first time, and this time I made a diligent study schedule for 6 months that I've stuck to religiously. My final sGPA is 3.17 and my final cGPA is 3.42., and I ended my last semester with straight A's. I have been working at a community hospital for 1 year now, with direct patient contact and forming relationships with doctors (probably about 2,000 clinical hours). I will be shadowing another DO from February-May, and hopefully getting a letter of rec from them too.

My 6 letters of rec will be 3 doctors (2 DO, 1 MD), my undergrad advisor, my microbiology professor, and my volunteer coordinator (which I know is an amazing letter)

I plan on having my MCAT score, shadowing/clinical/volunteer hours, and letters of rec all lined up and ready to submit to AACOMAS the day applications open.

I'm just wondering what you think my chances are of getting into a DO school would be this time around, assuming I get a much better MCAT score come January...I did get into 2 Caribbean schools (Ross & St George's) but turned them down last year, because I wanted to try harder and get into a DO school. Thoughts? Anything else you think I need to improve upon??

Members don't see this ad.

Good call on turning down the Caribbean schools OP.

If you can (financially.. time-wise... etc.) retake a couple science classes to get an sGPA >3.25 (preferably >3.30.) You'll be able to avoid most DO school cutoffs with an sGPA >3.25.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got your application together. Shoot for a balanced 505+ on the MCAT and I think you'll have a shot if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Really focus on that MCAT. You have already risen your GPA to a level the newer and lower stat schools will give you a look but your MCAT is too low. The retake will probably make all the difference. If you get above a 503 then I would be suprised if you don't get into a newer schools

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! So I graduated with my Bachelor of Science this past May, and unfortunately I didn't get into any schools my last application cycle. When I applied last, I had a 3.0 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA. My MCAT was 496. I had 50 volunteer hours in a hospital, and 500+ hours volunteering for our local firehouse. I had about 50 hours of shadowing a cardiologist DO, and a letter of rec from that DO. I did have an interview with PCOM, but was rejected after. They couldn't get off the topic of my major in my interview -- pre-vet rather than pre-med. It felt like they thought medical school was my second choice to vet school...and I was still working at a vet clinic to be fair (but I definitely am 100% committed to med school)

I've been studying to retake the MCAT since I graduated in May, and I'm set to take it again in January 2017. I barely studied the first time, and this time I made a diligent study schedule for 6 months that I've stuck to religiously. My final sGPA is 3.17 and my final cGPA is 3.42., and I ended my last semester with straight A's. I have been working at a community hospital for 1 year now, with direct patient contact and forming relationships with doctors (probably about 2,000 clinical hours). I will be shadowing another DO from February-May, and hopefully getting a letter of rec from them too.

My 6 letters of rec will be 3 doctors (2 DO, 1 MD), my undergrad advisor, my microbiology professor, and my volunteer coordinator (which I know is an amazing letter)

I plan on having my MCAT score, shadowing/clinical/volunteer hours, and letters of rec all lined up and ready to submit to AACOMAS the day applications open.

I'm just wondering what you think my chances are of getting into a DO school would be this time around, assuming I get a much better MCAT score come January...I did get into 2 Caribbean schools (Ross & St George's) but turned them down last year, because I wanted to try harder and get into a DO school. Thoughts? Anything else you think I need to improve upon??
sGPA and cGPA are still a bit too low. Either take some more classes to replace the whatever low grades you received before or pursue an SMP to show schools you are academically ready for medical school.

Continue your clinical exposure as much as possible.

That's a lot of LOR's. choose 3-4 that would best represent your application.

Until your receive your MCAT, it's hard to state how well you will fair for DO admissions. If your MCAT is low again (below or even at 500), I would even caution in apply for the upcoming cycle.

Moving to WAMC.

Reactions: 1 users
Good call on turning down the Caribbean schools OP.

If you can (financially.. time-wise... etc.) retake a couple science classes to get an sGPA >3.25 (preferably >3.30.) You'll be able to avoid most DO school cutoffs with an sGPA >3.25.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got your application together. Shoot for a balanced 505+ on the MCAT and I think you'll have a shot if you apply broadly.

To be completely honest, I don't think I have the time, or the money, to retake any classes right now. I got a C+ in Gen Chem 2 and a C+ in Physics 2 that I think are the ones dragging my sGPA down. If I get at least a 505 on my MCAT, do you think I still have a good shot at some DO schools? I'm just running out of money, so this will probably be my last application cycle, and I want to make sure I can do everything I can. Also, do you think it's okay that I don't have any research?

Really focus on that MCAT. You have already risen your GPA to a level the newer and lower stat schools will give you a look but your MCAT is too low. The retake will probably make all the difference. If you get above a 503 then I would be suprised if you don't get into a newer schools

So you think my sGPA and cGPA are okay for some DO schools? Do you know which DO schools those are in range for by chance?

So you think my sGPA and cGPA are okay for some DO schools? Do you know which DO schools those are in range for by chance?

Your cGPA is fine, your sGPA is still low . If you have time I would do some replacement to get it around 3.3. But I do think it is currently high enough to get you into a new or rural school with a decent MCAT.