What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragon19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.65 cGPA
3.2 sGPA
Major: Finance w/ Bio Minor
510 MCAT
2 Years Volunteering
2 Years Research (Biochem relation to disease)
Various Clubs

I think I can get into DO schools but should I even bother applying MD?

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine for many DO schools. Your sGPA is too low for many MD schools, and unfortunately your MCAT isn't high enough to make up for it. I'd suggest applying to your state schools and many DO schools. Are you applying next cycle? You have plenty of time to shadow a DO and get a letter from him or her, and it should be a high priority for you to get it done sometime before you apply. Unless you already have a DO letter, of course.

3.65 cGPA
3.2 sGPA
Major: Finance w/ Bio Minor
510 MCAT
2 Years Volunteering
2 Years Research (Biochem relation to disease)
Various Clubs

I think I can get into DO schools but should I even bother applying MD?

If you want MD you should do a DIY upper division science post bacc.. since you only have a bio minor you could take classes like genetics, microbiology, immunology, anatomy, physiology, virology, cell and molecular bio, etc and raise that GPA up. If you take a year of classes you could easily get it over 3.5 (if you really want to go MD...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100%.

You're fine for most DO schools right now, except maybe CCOM

If you want MD you should do a DIY upper division science post bacc.. since you only have a bio minor you could take classes like genetics, microbiology, immunology, anatomy, physiology, virology, cell and molecular bio, etc and raise that GPA up. If you take a year of classes you could easily get it over 3.5 (if you really want to go MD...)

Yea that's what most people have been telling me. The thing is, I was hoping my somewhat competitive MCAT score would show that I'm not completely lost in the sciences but sadly too little too late :(

Yea that's what most people have been telling me. The thing is, I was hoping my somewhat competitive MCAT score would show that I'm not completely lost in the sciences but sadly too little too late :(

Allopathic matriculant average science GPAs for the 2016-2017 cycle was 3.64 with a standard deviation of 0.30. You would be greater than a full standard deviation below the average. I'm not sure if a 510 is a compelling enough reason for adcoms to overlook that, maybe if you were at a 3.4 sGPA.

Last edited: