what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliMajid1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I migrated to Canada when I was 18 and I did my A-levels in Dubai. My background is that my entire family is quite religious and is from (you guessed it) Pakistan. I did not put in the energy into developing my English in HS and lower and I only took biology, chemistry, calculus, and physics in HS and I never really learnt English or put in the effort so well. In Canada, my dad took me to the in state university, and I got myself enrolled in life sciences majors in the first year which was the year we moved to Canada(eastern).

I had already been a little bit familiar with the material in HS and since i really liked science, i had done well(3.7+) in the first year. During the second year I got terribly sick (have chronic colitis and ended up getting pulmonary embolism in lower right lobe) and ended up doing terrible in genetics 1 and some other courses as I was just barely recovering from it(parents and doctor pushed me into uni, not even a month out of the hospital). my GPA during this year fell to 3.0. i had never talked to or stayed in touch with any professor and the support system here was not very good as far as career/academic counselling goes. In third year i did amazing again taking things like physiology, biochem, etc.. and some chem minor courses finishing with a 3.6.

In fourth year i somehow started feeling the effects of the disease creep up, combined with no academic counselling, i decided to take advanced classes like immunology, genetics 2,cancer biology, endocrinology, and a whole lot of chem minor courses however the profs in 4th year were so brutal that i ended up with a 2.4 bringing my gpa down from cGPA 3.4 to a 3.0 cGPA as i did really bad in fourth year and had a 2.4sGPA. My biggest concerns were that professors would not guide me on anything at all, were super cut-throat/weeders, and i got treated as an outsider all along, had 0 study friends mostly due to the fact that i am brown and look like those middle easterners and most importantly due to not having people skills combined with having a poor English skill set.

WHAT can i do to take myself out of this mess if i want to go to medical school in North America? I know i will suffer immensely in CARS section with the current level of english, but pls give me suggestions on what to do and what to take to make my English improve? I know i need 2 more years in upper level undergrad for sure but need advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try to divide the paragraph for easy reading! So are you Canadian by now? So your current cGPA is 3.0? With that and your (anticipated) horrible CARS, I don't really see luck with Canadian MD schools. I'm not sure on what grade repair options are available in Canada (other Canadians, help), but with several years of DIY postbacc and strong MCAT, you might have a shot at USDO. How's your EC looking?

Try to divide the paragraph for easy reading! So are you Canadian by now? So your current cGPA is 3.0? With that and your (anticipated) horrible CARS, I don't really see luck with Canadian MD schools. I'm not sure on what grade repair options are available in Canada (other Canadians, help), but with several years of DIY postbacc and strong MCAT, you might have a shot at USDO. How's your EC looking?
Hi,

So i have been volunteering at the closest hospital for maybe above 200 hours so far. I have also started volunteering at a personal care aide home for 4-6 hours helping nurses and RCWs. I might take some training to give me more advanced skills in the meanwhile as i have been away from school for a semester due to just taking a step back and thinking all this through as my cGPA needs a lot of work. I talked to a professor from my upper level classes and they said that i am going to have a long journey ahead as i will need a second bachelors degree worth 2-3 more years in any discipline that i have a true passion for. He is saying first improve your english as it needs a lot of work to be even able to comprehend talking with other people let alone doing well on the CARS. Should i practice on the MCATs for a few months and attempt it once this break year? I have done very well on the pre requisite courses scoring 85+ in all courses and have not been able to do so well in the upper level 4th year courses as the school here had limited professors and most of them had a harsh review on ratemyprofessor.