What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingpin221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 515
Science GPA: 3.4 (All Honors)
Cumulative GPA: 3.6

200+ shadowing hours, founder of organization, worked as CNA, research experience, volunteer at nursing home, etc.

The low science gpa can be explained by my enrollment in a prestigious honors program for health profession. I was accepted into an assured program from high-school which was fast-tracked (7 Year BS/MD Program). Yet, because of the shifting nature of the program, I was not able to meet the requirements similar to a large number of the students from the 20 who were accepted into the program from highschool. If I explain these circumstances, what is the likelihood of admission in a Texas MD/DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are a Texas resident you should receive several interviews from the Texas schools if you apply to all of them.

If you are a Texas resident you should receive several interviews from the Texas schools if you apply to all of them.
Thank you for your input! I am a Texas resident. Do you think that the schools will excuse the rather low GPA because of my status in an accelerated program? As most of them are aware that they are rather rigorous? Moreover, a larger number of the students who were accepted in this program were forced to drop because it was so rigorous and challenging as we had undergraduate science classes specific for the program itself.

Even though you dropped out of the program, your GPA/MCAT are impressive in their own right, and should new you multiple MD/DO interviews if you apply broadly, especially if you're a Texas resident. I wouldn't worry too much! Make sure you application/secondaries are solid!