What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrta

Reaction score
Hey all;

I have been lurking on SDN for many years but finally gathered the courage to make a post. Please bear with me as I am still not sure of where to post things yikes lol.

I have wanted to go to medical school my whole life - I realized that I wanted to do it for family pressure and deep down always wanted to do dental. I just graduated from college at a midwestern university that is not at all an R1 or top tier school.

I double majored in biology and psychology and minored in chemistry. I did really bad my freshman and sophomore years honestly because my parents were sick and I had to pick up a lot of responsibilities. I have 3 siblings and I had to take care of them while my mom was going through treatments. I worked at least 2 jobs my whole college career. I never gave up and I kept at it even though I graduated a semester late. I worked in a research lab studying phylogenetics for 2 years. I am working on a manuscript right now for that research project. I volunteer at a hospital and was then hired as a sitter and am now applying to become a tech in a hospital. I ended college with a very strong increasing trend and ended with a 3.35 gpa.

I am now studying for my DAT and am ready to do really well on them (please send me positive vibes - I need them!).

I wanted to ask you all what you think - do you think I am ready to apply or if I stand a chance in applying now? I know i am not at ALL top tier material but I want to apply close to home and not at the "bigger" schools. I was wondering if I should apply now or if I should just do a master's and apply later on?

I would really appreciate your help and advice because I have been really stressed out about this whole process and really need some help.

Please let me know what you all think. I am glad to provide more information if you all think it's necessary.

Thank you in advance for your help.

GPA:
Freshman - 3.18, 3.84
Sophmore - 3.14, 3.50
Summer - 2.00 (grandmother got sick so I had to fly out the country)
Junior - 3.25, 2.57 (retook these classes later)
Summer: 4.0
Senior: 3.08, 3.77
Summer 4.0
Last semester: 3.8

ecs:
Supplemental instructor 2 years, Pre-dental president 1 year, psychology club 4 yrs, psychology honors student, won 2 research awards and was a new student orientation leader, was a volunteer for 70 hrs at a home for underprivileged kids, was a psychology advisor, one year research on autism and social cognition.

SOR:
Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in med or dental? You posted yesterday in premed about this, and just copied and pasted the same thing, but added the line about wanting to always do dental "deep down". Are you studying for your MCAT or your DAT? Applying to schools isn't a game, and you should probably shadow both professions, decide which one you want to pursue, and then ask for advice. Sorry for the harshness but we can't make that decision for you- you're the one that will be doing it for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.