What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dravage

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to dental school for the current cycle. Here are my current credentials.

As a Grad
Masters Degree: Environmental Science and Health. Emphasis: Chemistry and Toxicology GPA: 3.6 +Thesis
2x Publications: 1 First author, 1 5th author
Predental club
Shadowing hours: 40
Strong letters of Rec
Teaching assistant (2 years)
Mentorship Experience (5 undergraduates total)
Yet to take DAT, currently studying relatively aggressively.
No strict volunteer hours, (I plan on getting at least 50 done by the time I apply)

As an Undergrad
Bachelors Degree: Environmental Science. Emphasis: Biology Major GPA: 3.45 Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Undergrad Research manager (Reproductive biology) (4 years)

Black Male, first generation college student. In regards to interviews, I have always been strong in the interviewer(ing) setting, especially after having the opportunity to interview people myself for research positions.

Any thoughts? I know it is a little difficult because I dont have a school list yet nor have I taken the DAT yet. Strictly from this position am I in a competitive standing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a great chance! Great GPA in both your bachelors and masters. Between now and when the application opens, I'd focus on scoring well on the DAT (20+) as well as increasing both shadowing and volunteering hours. Some schools have minimum cut-offs for shadowing so I'd shoot for 100+ to fulfill most school's requirements. Also, most, if not all, dental schools have an emphasis on community service and want to see (and hear at your interview) how you connect with people and desire to help them. 50 volunteer hours is okay but I'd really try to get 100+ if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a great chance! Great GPA in both your bachelors and masters. Between now and when the application opens, I'd focus on scoring well on the DAT (20+) as well as increasing both shadowing and volunteering hours. Some schools have minimum cut-offs for shadowing so I'd shoot for 100+ to fulfill most school's requirements. Also, most, if not all, dental schools have an emphasis on community service and want to see (and hear at your interview) how you connect with people and desire to help them. 50 volunteer hours is okay but I'd really try to get 100+ if you can.
Thank you. I understand that. However, I should add I am finishing some pre-dental courses that were not required for my degree on the side, while I am still in grad school. So catching up on these hours is very difficult! Appreciate your input.