This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HelloWorld123

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always said I wouldn't do this...but here I am. What are my chances of getting into a good medical school? Also, what are the schools I should be shooting for?

Age: 23
Ethnicity: Black/African American
Gender: Female
State of Residence: Georgia
Undergrad: Ivy
GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 507
Details that may or may not matter:
  • Low-income
  • From medically-underserved city
  • First-generation college student
Undergrad Stuff:
  • Honor Society Member
  • Shadowing (80+ hours)
  • Lots of volunteering
  • Lots of undergrad research (4+ years)
  • Presented research poster at Emory University and won Judges' Choice
  • Teaching Assistant for Intro Bio (2 years)
  • Co-managing editor of one of the campus magazines
Post-Grad Stuff:
  • Founder & CEO of 501c3 nonprofit organization (organization deals with education)
  • Working full-time as research assistant (~2 years)
  • More shadowing (40+ hours)
  • Published a few literary pieces in an anthology
  • Speaker at a national conference
If you can think of anything else I left out that may be relevant, just let me know. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? It is difficult to recommend schools to apply to without an actual MCAT score so post your score here when available next month and I will suggest schools.
 
I've always said I wouldn't do this...but here I am. What are my chances of getting into a good medical school? Also, what are the schools I should be shooting for?

Age: 23
Ethnicity: Black/African American
Gender: Female
State of Residence: Georgia
Undergrad: Ivy
GPA: 3.5
MCAT: Taking it this Saturday, but have been getting in the 508-510 range on practice exams
Details that may or may not matter:
  • Low-income
  • From medically-underserved city
  • First-generation college student
Undergrad Stuff:
  • Honor Society Member
  • Shadowing (80+ hours)
  • Lots of volunteering
  • Lots of undergrad research (4+ years)
  • Presented research poster at Emory University and won Judges' Choice
  • Teaching Assistant for Intro Bio (2 years)
  • Co-managing editor of one of the campus magazines
Post-Grad Stuff:
  • Founder & CEO of 501c3 nonprofit organization (organization deals with education)
  • Working full-time as research assistant (~2 years)
  • More shadowing (40+ hours)
  • Published a few literary pieces in an anthology
  • Speaker at a national conference
If you can think of anything else I left out that may be relevant, just let me know. Thanks in advance!
Your MCAT score will make or break you, but so far, yes you have a chance.