This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scs589

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just looking for honest opinions on chances.

Alabama resident, Mississippi state grad
Applying to MSUCVM AND AUCVM

Cum. GPA: 4.0
Science gpa: 4.0
Degrees:
Will have a BS in Animal and Dairy science with a minor in chemistry

(Still have physics left)

Have held a full time job throughout undergrad in the department of housing as a resident advisor. I use this quite a lot in my personal statements because I believe it has made me a well-rounded applicant.

Veterinary Experience:
- 1000+ hours experience SA
- 50+ hours experience LA

Animal Experience:
-Owned horses/dogs/chickens/goats for 13 years
-Equine management internship 20+ hours weekly x15 weeks
Internship with equine rehabilitation facility 40 hours/week x3 weeks.

Letters of Recommendation
-Mississippi state Professor
-3 Auburn CVM grads

GRE: 309

Volunteer:
-5 youth choir trips spanning 2 weeks each with 40+ hours community service each trip
-Palmer home therapeutic riding facility 10 hours/week x15 weeks.

Accomplishments:
-Mississippi State Presidents list x5
-Numerous scholarships
-Ed grandpree community development award
-lightning leadership and service scholarship

Members don't see this ad.

Well done on the 4.0s.

I think your application is pretty strong and I'd say you've likely got a good chance of acceptance at at least one of the schools you listed. If you want to up your chances even more, you can retake the GRE for a higher score and/or try to branch out into another area of vet med (exotics, zoo, wildlife, etc.) or even hop onto a project for some research experience, but none of those things are wholly necessary if you just don't have the time, money or desire. As things look now, I think your application is already quite competitive if you want to run with your current stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Well done on the 4.0s.

I think your application is pretty strong and I'd say you've likely got a good chance of acceptance at at least one of the schools you listed. If you want to up your chances even more, you can retake the GRE for a higher score and/or try to branch out into another area of vet med (exotics, zoo, wildlife, etc.) or even hop onto a project for some research experience, but none of those things are wholly necessary if you just don't have the time, money or desire. As things look now, I think your application is already quite competitive if you want to run with your current stats.

Thank you! I am participating in a chemistry research project this fall! I guess I forgot to put that on there. Thank you for the advice! I will look into exotics/wildlife for sure! I think both of those sound fascinating. Heres hoping!