This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DominicTacone

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you all for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it.

Major: Biology (minor in chemistry)
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.48
MCAT: 503

EC:
- Four Year college athlete (senior year captain, two-time all-conference (not sure if this is important))
- 1700 hours volunteering (mainly coaching, some for hurricane relief mission trip)
- 300 hours shadowing (200 pediatrics, 100 ophthalmology)
- 550 hours of research (potential publication)
- Founder and two-year president of our schools Pre-Health Club
- Study Abroad
- Transfer student (gpa from my first school (2 years) ~ 3.25, gpa from the school I graduated from (3 years) - 3.79(straight 4.0 my last two years))
- I was asked to be in a document series/commercial for my school about me, as an "exemplary transfer student"
- other school-specific honors that I don't think would have any bearing to be mentioned here

Bio:
- White
- Male
- New York State resident

I was denied last cycle (applied late, to all MD's), so I have reapplied this cycle - all MD apps and secondaries were in before the end of July, some early in June (as soon as I got them/secondaries in within two weeks). DO apps have been the same although the secondaries have come later (still in before 14 days), and the primary app was completed early July. This year I'll be studying for an MPH and working as a Patient-Care-Tech in Behavioral Health.

Also, I have been open and honest about living with Tourettes (tics), and how I struggled as a child and early teen, but have overcome the adversity derived from being different and have made all of this learning into a positive mindset, and through osteopathic techniques I am a nearly symptom-free individual.

I am applying to both MD and DO schools (although I am mainly anticipating my only shot is at a DO school). I have applied to four NY state schools, and all other schools are in the Northeast. So, I was wondering with the knowledge in this forum, what would my chances be? I'd rather not go to the Caribbean or have to switch up my career plans. Thanks again for taking your time to read this, I greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which MD and DO schools did you apply to ?
MD: UB, Upstate, Albany Med, NYMC, Penn State, UVM, West Virginia (already denied)
DO: NYITCOM, PhillyCOM, Michigan State, LECOM, Touro, University of New England, Rowan, Midwestern, and I just applied to Liberty

Members don't see this ad :)
Add more DO schools to your application and consider all these:
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
UIWSOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
TUNCOM
You could also add Seton Hall and Quinnipiac to your MD application.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you think it is too late to apply considering it is the end of August?