What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelsg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look good. Are there any other red flags in your application? I would apply to more schools if I were you. Instead of 6 maybe look into adding an additional 4 or 6 schools (lower competition privates and out of state friendly publics - like Umich) to give you a better chance of an acceptance.

Your stats look good so I would focus on your personal statement and your interview. I would make the personal statement very personal. Mine involved my lack of study skills and learning challenges I had to overcome, my fear of tackling the science work load and the steps I took to prepare myself for dental school. This helped the admissions board to understand where I started and how far I came to be a dental school applicant.
As for the interview, I would look over the sample questions that are on the internet, and think about experiences you’ve had to answer them.
Don’t try to memorize anything, but think about the questions for a while and see what pops into your mind. Try expanding from there.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say the weakest part of my application are my undergraduate grades. I got a lot of B- in my prerequisites and my sophmore year GPA was a 3.0 (the lowest it ever was) and then junior and senior year hovered around a 3.3. My masters grade were much better. Would Michigan really consider my application considering their average gpas are 3.65/3.58? I applied to UNLV last cycle and was promptly denied (this was also using 2017 DAT scores).
I think your 3.8 graduate GPA will go a long way to offset your undergrad. And your DAT is significantly better now. It is difficult to say how a particular school will react/consider individual applicants. Just make sure if you apply to an out of state school public that a good number of its seats are given to OOS students. I mentioned Michigan because the class is roughly 50/50 OOS vs In State.

Reactions: 1 user
You should get in this cycle. Your master's gpa is good and you did much better on DAT. Have some extracurriculars and solid LORs and you will be good. I would add a few more schools to your list, however. Bump it up to like 10 to 12 schools as I am sure you don't want to apply again. The schools you wish to add will depend on many factors, but look closely for schools that are OOS friendly and those that grant instate tuition. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above idea that you stand a good chance cycle this cycle if you apply broadly to OOS friendly schools. I recommend at least 14-15.

I'm a third time applicant to dental school. I finished my masters in December and retook the DAT this summer. I got a C+ in one of my prerequisites, physics. Lots of shadowing hours and I worked at a dental office for a year and the doc is writing one of my letters of recommendations. In the past, I've gotten a couple interviews at my in state schools but no acceptances. What are my chances this time? Not sure what I can improve after a third round of rejections...

oGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.35
Undergrad GPA: 3.37
Graduate GPA: 3.80
DAT (first attempt, 2017):
Bio GC OC PAT RC QR TS AA
17 20 21 19 23 23 19 21
DAT (second attempt, 2020):
Bio GC OC PAT RC QR TS AA
22 26 23 22 23 21 23 23

NC Resident
Asian female

Schools applying: UNC, ECU, VCU, Tufts, UMD, UPenn
six schools and 2 of them are schools that are amongst the 5-8 highest stat schools?
I recommend you add more schools
congrats on the DAT improvement and masters gpa

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll probably add buffalo, ohio, and Uconn to my list for now.
Consider Rutgers as well, they grant in-state tuition. If you are applying to Tufts, I would also add BU. UConn is super tough but you can add them if you would like--apply super early for them, they start reviewing apps much earlier than most schools and have most of their class filled by the first wave of acceptances.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll probably add buffalo, ohio, and Uconn to my list for now.

ohio state and UConn are also very competitive

i'm not saying you shouldn't apply to very competitive schools (you should of course concentrate on unc), it's just that the large protion of you list should not be at these types of schools
your masters gpa and 3rd DAT show you can clearly handle dental school, and you have a great shot at unc and ecu, but I feel you should add more schools...

I was a reapplicant this past cycle and also NC resident. My stats were very similar to yours, but lower undergrad gpa and higher masters gpa. I interviewed at 3 of the 6 schools on your initial list.

I would make sure you have your own perspective and show your growth within your application if you haven't already! I learned a lot during my second gap year and really used that to my advantage on my application and interviews. Find a way to turn the rejection into an opportunity for growth and how that makes you a unique applicant.

Specifically for UNC I also interviewed my first cycle and didn't get in because of stats, they strongly value different perspectives, leadership and growth. If you can get those into your application I think you have a great chance!

Can you go into what you mean by "have your own perspective"? Are you starting at UNC in August, by chance?

You have to make yourself stand out. There are so many applicants and so many people have the same things on their applications. People are going to have better stats but it’s about showing them who you are. Think about what makes you unique and what you would bring to the class that someone else can’t, use that to your advantage on your app and in your interviews.

And yes I’ll be attending UNC this year!

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update on how the cycle went. I ended up applying to eight schools:

UNC - interviewed + accepted
ECU- interviewed + accepted
Maryland - interviewed + accepted
VCU- interviewed + accepted
LECOM - interviewed + accepted
Tuoro - interview declined
Tufts - no interview
UPenn- no interview

I hope this thread serves as encouragement who are also taking a non-linear path to dental school.
awesome!
congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.