What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mace1370

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick rundown of stats:

Undergrad UCLA GPA: 3.28 (basically the same for science/non-science)
MCAT: 32Q (11BS,12PS,9V)
Current Georgetown SMP GPA: 3.7 (this includes 2 completed medical school courses and 4 completed grad school courses).
Extracurriculars: plenty of clinical and leadership. Less of the volunteering stuff, but it is there.

Breakdown for classes at georgetown so far:
Molecullar/Cellular Physiology: A- (med course)
Molecular Signal Transduction: B (med course)
Immonology and Microbio: A
Nutrition: A
Physiology Forum: A
Biomedical Career pathways: A

The last three are just filler 1 credit classes. Immo was a decently hard class, though. I believe most people got Bs.

I've gotten 1 interview so far (from USUHS) and basically haven't heard anything from any other school since I think they are waiting on my SMP grades (which just got released).

So... think my SMP performance is enough to make up for my craptastic undergrad GPA?

Edit: lol, I can't count

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A quick rundown of stats:

Undergrad UCLA GPA: 3.28 (basically the same for science/non-science)
MCAT: 32Q (11BS,12PS,9V)
Current Georgetown SMP GPA: 3.7 (this includes 2 completed medical school courses and 5 completed grad school courses).
Extracurriculars: plenty of clinical and leadership. Less of the volunteering stuff, but it is there.

Breakdown for classes at georgetown so far:
Molecullar/Cellular Physiology: A- (med course)
Molecular Signal Transduction: B (med course)
Immonology and Microbio: A
Nutrition: A
Physiology Forum: A
Biomedical Career pathways: A

The last three are just filler 1 credit classes. Immo was a decently hard class, though. I believe most people got Bs.

I've gotten 1 interview so far (from USUHS) and basically haven't heard anything from any other school since I think they are waiting on my SMP grades (which just got released).

So... think my SMP performance is enough to make up for craptastic undergrad GPA?

It will help, have these scores already been submitted via amcas? Give us a list of schools you applied to or a mdapplicant page

That is a flat out "kick butt" MCAT my friend, plus the Georgetown stuff is stellar too!

How much time has separated the "old stuff" from the "new stuff"? Adcoms are all about, "what have you done for me lately". It looks to me like you have demonstrated an undeniable "upward trend". However such an improvement in many ways jumps off the page the further removed the old stuff is (I am a living example)!

I assume you live in DC, Northern Va or perhaps Maryland? I can tell you this a truism shared with me more than once... it is tougher to "do" med school on either coast or upper midwest than it is in "flyover" country. Frankly, I think your package would probably be quite sufficient to get in.... but it would be easier (assuming you can get "in-state" residency before you fill out any forms) somewhere besides the neighborhood of Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, UVA, MCV...

We actually MOVED from Richmond Virginia to rural Kansas in 1995 in part (there are MANY other reasons of course) to establish residency in order to perhaps "take a shot", if the stars lined up. As it turns out they DID in the summer of 2000, the rest is history!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It will help, have these scores already been submitted via amcas? Give us a list of schools you applied to or a mdapplicant page

The scores have not been submitted to AMCAS (I have no idea when that happens). However, a letter of recommendation has been out that contains an official transcript thus far with all those grades I mentioned.

Here is the list of schools I applied to:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Creighton
UCLA
Drexel
Georgetown
Jefferson
USC
Loyola
NYMC
NYU
Rosalind Franklin
SLU
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
USUHS
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Rochester

How much time has separated the "old stuff" from the "new stuff"? Adcoms are all about, "what have you done for me lately". It looks to me like you have demonstrated an undeniable "upward trend". However such an improvement in many ways jumps off the page the further removed the old stuff is (I am a living example)!

I graduated from UCLA in 2007 in December (a quarter late, so I did 4 full years and an extra quarter).

This is my second application cycle (I didn't get in last year, but I got an interview to USUHS and they put me on the alternate list).

In time between graduating from UCLA and matriculating to Georgetown (so about 8 months) I worked privately as a tutor and interned at a Coroner's Office as a coroner technician (was quite an amazing experience). I was keeping the equivalent of a 35-40 hour work week during this time so I shouldn't come off as being lazy or taking it easy (I hope).

I assume you live in DC, Northern Va or perhaps Maryland? I can tell you this a truism shared with me more than once... it is tougher to "do" med school on either coast or upper midwest than it is in "flyover" country. Frankly, I think your package would probably be quite sufficient to get in.... but it would be easier (assuming you can get "in-state" residency before you fill out any forms) somewhere besides the neighborhood of Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, UVA, MCV...

I'm in DC now, but I'm a resident of California =/

This means that applying to midwest schools is mostly out of the question since they are all practically out of state for me.

With that SMP GPA, I think your chances are quite good. You might want to check out the post-bac forum to see which programs (other than Georgetown) look favorably on Georgetown's SMP. Some are more friendly about that stuff than others.