What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just finished applying to 7 MPH programs: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, JHU, UCB, BU and Tulane. If anyone can offer a rough estimate of my chances of acceptance, I would be grateful!

GRE 700V / 760Q / 5.5W
MCAT 33 T
GPA 3.4 at top 5 undergrad place
Med School at top 5 place that is P/F
Average letters
Strong personal statement
Weak CV - short on research/pubs but a little volunteering

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a very good chance of getting into all of those schools; the only thing that might slightly hurt you is the average letters and average CV. If you address your lack of experience in your personal statement and express a desire to build your CV while pursuing your MPH I think you will be in good shape.

The more important question is what do you want your MPH concentration in? Many of the schools you applied to are strong in very different public health fields. Unless you are looking at just Epidemiology or maybe Biostats...which school is your top choice?

Hi. I just finished applying to 7 MPH programs: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, JHU, UCB, BU and Tulane. If anyone can offer a rough estimate of my chances of acceptance, I would be grateful!

GRE 700V / 760Q / 5.5W
MCAT 33 T
GPA 3.4 at top 5 undergrad place
Med School at top 5 place that is P/F
Average letters
Strong personal statement
Weak CV - short on research/pubs but a little volunteering

Thank you.

Your stats certainly won't keep you out of anywhere, and coming in with an MD should meet the work requirements that JHU and Harvard really enforce. I'd worry more about finding the program that is the best "fit" for you, I'd bet you'll get in everywhere you apply (maybe not UCB if out of state). Good luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats certainly won't keep you out of anywhere, and coming in with an MD should meet the work requirements that JHU and Harvard really enforce. I'd worry more about finding the program that is the best "fit" for you, I'd bet you'll get in everywhere you apply (maybe not UCB if out of state). Good luck this cycle!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm pretty nervous - I've always wanted to go to Harvard or Yale. Now if my recommenders would just write those darn letters and Sophas would get my transcripts....

honestly i think you will be fine. I came in with worse GRE scores, same GPA and straight out of undergrad and I got into 10/11 schools I applied to (I'm at Columbia now in my first year in Epi).

Some things to keep in mind is to definitely look at the program. Cal and Yale are smaller programs so they may not have as many resources for you in terms of practicum and research and faculty access, etc. I originally thought I wanted to go to a small public health school (because I came from a huge public university), but that was the opposite b/c smaller schools may not have the same opportunities as do bigger schools. Like what other people have posted, it does depend a little on which department you want to end up in.

All in all, it seems like you got it all figured out. Everything looks great. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck!