What are my options for pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jmed777

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am a US citizen currently studying Adult Nursing (BSc) in the UK. During my nursing studies, I've found a keen interest in medicine, and I realize that I may or may not be too late to get into the medical field. I plan to finish my degree and move back to the US and hopefully get into a medical school there. I have a few options and a few questions.

Options:
1) Either work in the UK for 1 year as a nurse (to note down experience for med school application) and move back to the US, or apply straight to any pre-med programs in the US as soon as I graduate.

and

2) Attend a formal post-bacc pre-med program, take the MCAT, and apply to a medical school

or

3) Attend a regular bachelors program and make a DIY post-bacc and possibly drop out of the program after fulfilling all medicine prereq's

Questions:
1) When I apply for med schools, would they accept my UK BSc degree along with the US prereq courses? Or do I need to complete another bachelors in the US for me to qualify for admission into medicine?

2) For option 1, would having that 1 year of work experience increase my chances of admission into a med school? Or would it be a waste of time? Should I just move back to the US as soon as I graduate to do my med prereq's?

3) For option 3, is it necessary to finish the bachelors, or would I be able to drop out of the program as soon as I finish all prereq courses?

4) What other options do I have?

Thank you for reading!
 
My understanding is that all or most medical schools require two years worth of US credits to apply. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Hello everyone,

I am a US citizen currently studying Adult Nursing (BSc) in the UK. During my nursing studies, I've found a keen interest in medicine, and I realize that I may or may not be too late to get into the medical field. I plan to finish my degree and move back to the US and hopefully get into a medical school there. I have a few options and a few questions.

Options:
1) Either work in the UK for 1 year as a nurse (to note down experience for med school application) and move back to the US, or apply straight to any pre-med programs in the US as soon as I graduate.

and

2) Attend a formal post-bacc pre-med program, take the MCAT, and apply to a medical school

or

3) Attend a regular bachelors program and make a DIY post-bacc and possibly drop out of the program after fulfilling all medicine prereq's

Questions:
1) When I apply for med schools, would they accept my UK BSc degree along with the US prereq courses? Or do I need to complete another bachelors in the US for me to qualify for admission into medicine?

2) For option 1, would having that 1 year of work experience increase my chances of admission into a med school? Or would it be a waste of time? Should I just move back to the US as soon as I graduate to do my med prereq's?

3) For option 3, is it necessary to finish the bachelors, or would I be able to drop out of the program as soon as I finish all prereq courses?

4) What other options do I have?

Thank you for reading!