What are my options???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a 4th year pharmacy student at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. I recently decided that I would like to pursue an MD degree upon completion of pharmacy school.

My BCPM is currently a 3.5, but I need to take an additional physics class, which should increase that number. I have had chem, ochem, bio, physics, calc, and biostats.

My overall gpa is a 3.71, including many science classes such as pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, A/P with labs, biochem, and many therapeutics classes focusing on disease states and drug therapy.

As far as EC's, I am involved in various pharmacy organizations and volunteering outside of school. Becuase I decided to try to get into med school, I am looking to pursue shadowing and volunteering opportunities in physician's offices and in the hospital setting.

A currently work in a hospital in erie, pa as a pharmacy intern and have +700 hrs in that setting. I am also hoping to gain shadowing experience on the hospital floors with the clinical pharmacists.

By the time I will complete school, I will have had an additional +400 hrs in the hospital pharmacy setting, which will include rounding on patients and interacting with doctors and hospital staff.

I would just like to know what my chances are and if this is something I can really pursue. I am not really picky on where I get in, but would like to stay in the pa/oh/ny/wv/va area.

Members don't see this ad.

How many years is your pharmacy program? Did you do some undergrad work prior to acceptance into your current program?

The application service will ask you to split out the classes that are undergrad, and those that are graduate level. MD schools will primarily consider you according to your undergrad cGPA and BCPM. Many pharmacy classes are not considered to be science coursework by the application service, so you'd also need to be careful about what you call "science" for appliction purposes.

Maybe you could figure these numbers out for us. To help, here is an AMCAS GPA calculator http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

I think your chances will be great, with two unavoidable words clouding the picture...

MCAT.
Debt.

Hello!
I am a 4th year pharmacy student at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. I recently decided that I would like to pursue an MD degree upon completion of pharmacy school.

My BCPM is currently a 3.5, but I need to take an additional physics class, which should increase that number. I have had chem, ochem, bio, physics, calc, and biostats.

My overall gpa is a 3.71, including many science classes such as pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, A/P with labs, biochem, and many therapeutics classes focusing on disease states and drug therapy.

As far as EC's, I am involved in various pharmacy organizations and volunteering outside of school. Becuase I decided to try to get into med school, I am looking to pursue shadowing and volunteering opportunities in physician's offices and in the hospital setting.

A currently work in a hospital in erie, pa as a pharmacy intern and have +700 hrs in that setting. I am also hoping to gain shadowing experience on the hospital floors with the clinical pharmacists.

By the time I will complete school, I will have had an additional +400 hrs in the hospital pharmacy setting, which will include rounding on patients and interacting with doctors and hospital staff.

I would just like to know what my chances are and if this is something I can really pursue. I am not really picky on where I get in, but would like to stay in the pa/oh/ny/wv/va area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have finished 2 pre-professional years and am currently in my second professional year. I am still considered an undergrad and did not include my other sciences into the SCPM. The courses I used to calculate my SCPM were from the classes listed in the AMCAS list. So my undergrad BCPM is 3.48 without my final physics class (will be a 3.51 when that class is finished) and my undergrad cGPA is a 3.71. Our grad classes do not begin until next year (my 5th year) with rotations finishing off the 6th year.
Do you think that my experience with other health-related sciences makes up for the fact that my SCPM is a little low?

How many years is your pharmacy program? Did you do some undergrad work prior to acceptance into your current program?

The application service will ask you to split out the classes that are undergrad, and those that are graduate level. MD schools will primarily consider you according to your undergrad cGPA and BCPM. Many pharmacy classes are not considered to be science coursework by the application service, so you'd also need to be careful about what you call "science" for appliction purposes.

Maybe you could figure these numbers out for us. To help, here is an AMCAS GPA calculator http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

Last edited:
Well I have finished 2 pre-professional years and am currently in my second professional year. I am still considered an undergrad and did not include my other sciences into the SCPM. The courses I used to calculate my SCPM were from the classes listed in the AMCAS list. So my undergrad BCPM is 3.48 without my final physics class (will be a 3.51 when that class is finished) and my undergrad cGPA is a 3.71. Our grad classes do not begin until next year (my 5th year) with rotations finishing off the 6th year.
Do you think that my experience with other health-related sciences makes up for the fact that my SCPM is a little low?

I thought you were at a PharmD program. Maybe your debt load will be less-crushing.

I am in a pharmD program that is 6 years long. I know that I will have debt coming out of pharmacy school, but my concern right now is not the debt, but getting into med school. I feel that I will be able to keep my loans in check and will be able to afford it.

I thought you were at a PharmD program. Maybe your debt load will be less-crushing.

I am in a pharmD program that is 6 years long. I know that I will have debt coming out of pharmacy school, but my concern right now is not the debt, but getting into med school. I feel that I will be able to keep my loans in check and will be able to afford it.

Then refer to the first of my two unavoidable words. That's all you need to have a great chance at acceptance somewhere. And bonecrushing debt, of course.

so you don't think my sub-par BCPM would cause problems? Sorry I keep bringing it up, it is just a big concern for me...

Then refer to the first of my two unavoidable words. That's all you need to have a great chance at acceptance somewhere. And bonecrushing debt, of course.

So my undergrad BCPM is 3.48 without my final physics class (will be a 3.51 when that class is finished) and my undergrad cGPA is a 3.71?

so you don't think my sub-par BCPM would cause problems?
Will your year-by-year BCPM show an upward grade trend as it proceeds from freshman to senior year (each year is listed separately, then a cumulative BCPM is shown)? Why is it low?

yes...my grades definitely improved from getting B's to A's as the years progressed.

From looking at information it seemed like a 3.5(ish) was on the lower end of the scale and that it would hurt my chances, even coming from a hard major like pharmacy...I must just be a freak. haha

Will your year-by-year BCPM show an upward grade trend as it proceeds from freshman to senior year (each year is listed separately, then a cumulative BCPM is shown)? Why is it low?

yes...my grades definitely improved from getting B's to A's as the years progressed.
Fortunately, an upward grade trend matters, so the lowish BCPM won't hurt you as much as you'd think if you keep it going. A strong MCAT score will be important, of course, and it looks like you're on course to have the appropriate ECs. This would all suggest that you do have a chance. How good of one will depend on yor final application stats.

Any plans for a research experience? Are you engaged in regualar nonmedical community service (like weekly, twice monthly, etc)?

Unfortunately pharmacy school really hasn't left me the time to get involved with research like I want to. There is just too much of an academic commitment that does not allow the hours I would need to work on research at Duquesne.

My community service is something I like to keep up with monthly or twice a month and ranges from simple things like volunteering around Pittsburgh in soup kitchens and schools to working at asthma camps starting in this spring. I would like to get more involved in nursing homes and working with people of different backgrounds, but nothing has been set in stone yet. I'm hoping to volunteer a lot this spring and shadow a lot this summer as I will be working in and around the hospital and other health centers often.

Any recommendations for non-medical community service???

Fortunately, an upward grade trend matters, so the lowish BCPM won't hurt you as much as you'd think if you keep it going. A strong MCAT score will be important, of course, and it looks like you're on course to have the appropriate ECs. This would all suggest that you do have a chance. How good of one will depend on yor final application stats.

Any plans for a research experience? Are you engaged in regualar nonmedical community service (like weekly, twice monthly, etc)?

My science gpa is much lower than yours and I have already been accepted this year. I wouldn't worry about a 3.5 science gpa as long as you have a good MCAT to back it up and strong ECs which it looks like you are well on your way. Its not always about stats... stats will get you a look at your app, but its what else you bring to the table.. i.e. personal statement, activities, motivations etc. I say go for it if you can do well on the MCAT.

Thank you all so much. I'm just one of those people who really have to analyze everything before they do it and because I have a pharmacy advisor, it is not the easiest to get advice in other areas of medicine. My family does not have much knowledge about this material either, so I appreciate the feed back from those who are also in the same boat. If you don't mind me asking, what schools were you accepted to? And also what you got on your MCAT?

My science gpa is much lower than yours and I have already been accepted this year. I wouldn't worry about a 3.5 science gpa as long as you have a good MCAT to back it up and strong ECs which it looks like you are well on your way. Its not always about stats... stats will get you a look at your app, but its what else you bring to the table.. i.e. personal statement, activities, motivations etc. I say go for it if you can do well on the MCAT.

You will really have to show why you are going from PharmD to medicine. Honestly, you will be a better applicant for DO schools (I recommend LECOM since you are near Erie) because so far, you didn't list a single good reason as to why you want to become a physician instead of a pharmacist.

There are many reasons why I want to be a doctor instead of a pharmacist and pharmacy school and my hospital experience has helped me figure that out...I love the patient interaction and really enjoy the clinical side of things to begin with (if I was going to stay with pharmacy I would go on to become a clinical pharmacist anyways). I have come to realize the lack of patient involvement in the profession. Also, I have found a love for interpreting symptoms and really getting to the route of the issues to find a solution. I love the diagnosing aspects, rather than just making sure the final products (such as meds) are correct. For me, its all about helping people and giving them answers to their problems.

I'm curious why you would think I would be a better DO?

You will really have to show why you are going from PharmD to medicine. Honestly, you will be a better applicant for DO schools (I recommend LECOM since you are near Erie) because so far, you didn't list a single good reason as to why you want to become a physician instead of a pharmacist.