What are residencies with some of the better perks/benefits offered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

von Matterhorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing my research now into a few of the specialties I'm interested in, and I'm a little surprised at the difference in what some programs offer. For example, I see some provide very generous meal plans, others provide hefty housing allowances (even in non-SF places that don't have expensive housing), etc. As someone massively in debt and looking to optimize their expenses as best they can in residency, what are the (quality) residencies with some of the better perks available?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when does residency have perks???

We got health/dental/vision insurance, plus free food in the hospital, three new lab coats every year, and a gym membership. Not sure if they still do all that or not. There used to be a buffet in the doctors' lounge, but they did away with that my last year of residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing my research now into a few of the specialties I'm interested in, and I'm a little surprised at the difference in what some programs offer. For example, I see some provide very generous meal plans, others provide hefty housing allowances (even in non-SF places that don't have expensive housing), etc. As someone massively in debt and looking to optimize their expenses as best they can in residency, what are the (quality) residencies with some of the better perks available?

There are other factors to consider, for example, if you do residency in a state with no state tax, you'll keep more of your income at the end of the day even if you get less benefits. Also, doing residency in a smaller town with cheaper rent means you don't need a housing stipend. At the end of the day, you don't want to choose based on some extra benefits, go where you will be happy and enjoy your training. An extra $100 bucks for food won't make a difference.

I think something to keep in mind is that your loan repayment will be calculated on your taxable income ("monetary perks") from the previous year. So whatever you gain will likely be taken by Uncle Sam, leaving you just about equal to everyone else. I think the differences in residency perks are negligible when comparing to the big picture. Except if there is free food, always take the free food.

Check out Wright State in Dayton, OH: Benefits for Residents | Department of Family Medicine | Boonshoft School of Medicine | Wright State University

Salaries are 68-71K a year depending on your year. I went to med school there and the FM faculty that they have are top-notch. They have an unopposed FM service and all-around great training. I think that their salary helps them recruit more competitive candidates than they might otherwise not get in a small city.

Wow. Nice. That salary + moonlighting? $$$$$

Anyone know of programs that have a dedicated one month/block for orientation?