This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCraig

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get a lab assistant job without adequate research experience because there's just too much competition for those types of jobs.

I've been contemplating taking a second gap year, and I feel that it is the best decision for me. I recently changed my mind and have decided to pursue medical school over PA school, hence why I haven't taken the MCAT. I am planning to do some hardcore studying to ensure I get an excellent score the first time I take it.

Background: I'm already doing non-clinical volunteering, have shadowing opportunities lined up, and studying for the MCAT. I acquired 450 hours of direct patient care as a CNA, but I recently quit that job. I have little to none research experience.

I don't want to get too bored waiting for med school applications during the latter half of my second gap year. I've been thinking of ideas for how to utilize my time. The reality of it is that I need a paying job to survive during this gap year.

Which would be in my best interest?

1. Working as a lab assistant? - - - - I'm from TN, and I saw that Vandy has a lot of openings. I have no meaningful research experience, but I am willing to learn if they do on the job training. I have a biology degree with minor in chemistry. I'm not sure if I could find a research position w/o experience, but it's worth a try.

2. Americorps - - - I have considered fulfilling a part time position, as it would be very difficult to commit to the 10 month position while applying to grad school. I find it appealing because they have positions all over the US, many teaching kids and environment causes (I'm interested in both!) This would be a total 180 from what I'm doing now.

3. Working as a substitute teacher - - - I love teaching other people what I am passionate about. This was one of the many highlights of my undergrad experience as a teaching assistant and tutor. Or does this seem like a silly thing to do during gap year?
You could look for a lab assistant job but if that doesn't work, see if you can join a lab as a research assistant. I know someone who did that after graduating. If you do some really good work there and earn the trust of the PI then see if you can do a small independent project. That could really help you.
See if you can also volunteer in a clinical setting like in a hospital. Should be easy to combine with being a research assistant.
I think it is fine to work as a substitute teacher! But it might be a little different than being a teaching assistant or tutor, depending on the class, school etc-may not be as hands-on. But a good alternative could be to be a tutor!

You could combine these things and still have time to prep for the MCAT