Working during dental school covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalstud1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im going into second year (hardest year) and I was wondering if you guys think it is manageable to work during dental school. The new format with covid will be that our class is seperated in 2 where group A goes to school for the practical stuff (8 to 5 everyday) while group B stays at home to study the theory online and vice versa for the following weeks.

My school teacher is offering a dental assistant job at his clinic 3 days a week (during our online theory week). The schedule is pretty hectic, monday 9 to 8, wednesday 1 to 9 and friday 8 to 5. So technically I would be working 2 weeks per month (6 days a month). Im hesitating because I don't want it to ruin my grades and take a lot of my time, but at the same time I feel like I would learn so much having my school teacher as my boss and by my side. I would also be getting paid, but money isn't my priority, so it's not a factor im considering in my decision.

Let me know what do you guys think and what you would do in this scenario! Would you take the dental assistant job? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I see the temptation because there’s some invaluable experience there, but it’s probably too much of a time commitment and not enough money. You’re better off getting ahead on studying whether you want to specialize or not. Plus COVID ( for your safety and that the protocols today may not be protocols when you graduate)

You could volunteer at an office you like on your own schedule if you want some more private practice exposure. Or split the position with a friend maybe?

You would have a lot of time to get some experience shadowing/assisting after you graduate because license can take a while to come in. So, I won't suggest you to invest your time there for now. Concentrate on your grades/clinical work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to work during my second year. I could manage it fine over the summer term when we were only in 5 or 6 classes but as soon as the Fall semester started it was just impossible. Even if it is all online, you still need to study and understand the material. Additionally, I started to realize that the extra few hundred bucks a month really didn't do anything substantial to improve my financial situation. I realized that I would be better served in the long run by spending a few extra hours studying every day. Remember, this is your future profession and career. It isn't enough to simply 'pass' you actually need to understand and apply all(most) that you learn.

Just my personal experience

It depends on your make up.

During my second year I had picked up a Saturday landscaping job (20-30 hours/month). I could not have possibly handled more working time and still survive in school.
At the same time, one of my classmates was working a full time, third shift job at a factory and he did fine.

It depends on your make up.

During my second year I had picked up a Saturday landscaping job (20-30 hours/month). I could not have possibly handled more working time and still survive in school.
At the same time, one of my classmates was working a full time, third shift job at a factory and he did fine.

Exactly. Are you gunning for a specialty or are you in the crowd of "C's get degrees"? I was gunning .... so no on a PT job 2nd yr. My 4th year lightened up and I was able to get a PT job on Sats as a personal trainer at Gold's Gym. I have some kinesiology background.

As a single reference point. My 1st yr roommate had a full time night job (security guard) during 1st yr DS. He was local to that area. He failed out that 1st year. He was later accepted to Creighton.

You'll have plenty of time to experience REAL dentistry once you graduate. The most important thing is to GRADUATE and take advantage of the learning atmosphere you are paying for.

I think this is a good opportunity for you to work at your teacher's office because not having to attend classes (online remote learning) should help you save a lot of time. You can also study on the weekends. It's goo to know as many dental assisting tasks as possible. You will be way ahead of your classmates when you start seeing patients. When you get out, you will be way ahead of your colleagues. With your assisting knowledge, you can multi-task and rely less on the assistants. This is important when you work at a place that doesn't provide you experienced assistants. When you are ready to set up your own office, you don't need to pay a lot to hire an experienced assistant...you can train any person to become your assistant. You can cross train your staff to perform multiple duties. And with your assisting skills, you can still maintain good clinic flow even when one of your assistants quits or calls in sick.

If you plan to specialize later on, you can add this job experience to your CV. A lot of post grad program directors like to accept hard working candidates.

I started working in May as a second year and only work weekend nights and the extra cash flow has been well worth it, I hope I can continue through the fall and spring but I’ll take time off before I let myself fail a course...obviously school is priority

Maybe try something a little more flexible like Uber/Lyft. At least you can work around your schedule as needed.