what are the benefits of using a health professions advisory committee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovebio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident applying to Texas medical schools and my university does have a health professions advisory committee but I wanted to know if it would be beneficial to go through them if my application will be delayed by one month?

As of right now, I plan to have everything submitted by June 1st, but if I plan to go through the committee they won't be submitting the application until the end of June or beginning of July. So my question is, is it worth the delay?

I also have another question, I got a 30Q on the MCAT and have a 3.71 cumulative GPA, and I plan to retake the MCAT in May. Do I wait to send the new score? or should I send the old score to just the less selective schools first?

I'm new to this website, so I'm not too sure how everything works.

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should use your HPAC...in fact, I think the med schools expect you to use them if your school has one. You can still submit the app, they're just doing the recommendation part. Some/most of the med schools don't look at your LORs until you interview. Are you sure you want to retake at 30? What's your score breakdown? If you do end up retaking, I'd submit to all schools with the box checked that you're retaking on XX date.

So you don't think a month delay will be a significant drawback?

As of right now I'm still planning on taking the MCAT again.

Last edited: