What are the best tips for getting into a post-bac program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eatsleepdoc

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm based in NYC and am looking into Hunter College, NYU, Columbia, and City College. I read that a lot of them have a 3.0 minimum GPA but I've also read threads where people with 3.5 GPAs and volunteer experience are getting rejected from these programs. Is there anything specific admissions officers are looking for?

I have a 3.295 GPA from a UC and am getting nervous that I won't be accepted (and, subsequently, be able to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor).

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated--thank you!
 
My insight: skip the formal programs and enroll as a non-degree seeking student and take the courses you need. I did this and befriended the premed advisor who helped me get into crowded lab/lecture sections if they filled up during registration, recommended me for a lab TA job, and wrote my committee letter. And did mock interviews. All without a formal post-bacc with acceptance requirements.

The benefit of a formal program is the structure, and perhaps the linkage programs if you're after that. But I don't think they're necessary.