What are you taking next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took both upper levels:

The first - Introduction to basic inorganic chemistry, including elementary bonding theories, the chemistry of elements other than carbon, coordination chemistry, acid-base chemistry, organometallic chemistry, and solid-state chemistry.

The second - Physical inorganic chemistry. Chemical bonding, including ligand and crystal field theory and molecular orbital theories are studied. Includes coordination chemistry, acid-base relationships, and application of modern spectroscopic techniques to inorganic compounds.

Members don't see this ad.

Organization and Function of the Cell, Honors General Chemistry II, Calculus I, Spanish II, and Contemporary Jewish Thinkers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can draw my self a pretty mean orbital diagram, too, let me tell you. Need to know if its reducible? I can do that to. I can predict symmetry if you want, too.
You are a machine!:p

Immunology
Microbiology WI
Physics II
An English Lit. class
Student Mentor (Lab TA)-hopefully not too time demanding

I think this should be an "ok" course load although i'm a bit iffy about Microbiology writing intensive with physics and immunology..we'll see

I'm taking

Microbiology- 4 hr
A&P II- 4hr
College Algebra- 3hr
Intro to Biblical Studies- 3hr

I wanted to start my official pre-reqs (Bio I, Chem 1) but they're not offered in the spring at my school :(

weapons of mass destruction (earth science class lol)
principles of economics
from quarks to cosmos (physics class)
either ethics in medicine (3000 level philosophy class) or mind, brain, and behavior (1000 level psych class ) -- will depend on how good WMD is as a class
2-3 ballet classes
yay!!

Physiology- 3
Genetics- 3
Intro Bio II w/lab - 4
Physics w/lab- 4
Italian II- 3
Comm Service Proj.- 2

General Chem II - 1 cr
General Chem II lab - 0 cr
Calculus II - 1 cr
Great Conversations - 1 cr
Philosophy and Feminism - 1 cr
Scuba Diving - 0.25 cr
Theater Practicum: Props/Set Design - 0.25 cr (not really sure what the time commitment is for this yet, so I may drop)

Yes, our credit system is weird. The labs are worth no credit on their own, but must be passed in order to pass the course and the lab grade is calculated as 20% of the class grade.

My schedule is the maximum amount of credits allowed for a freshman (you can add another half credit for overload as an upperclassmen)

Reproductive Physiology -3
Fiction Appreciation -3
Intro to Stats 1 & 2 + Labs -4
Intro to Oceans -3

Hoorah for never having to schedule Ugrad classes again!

Organic II
Organic II Lab
Polish 2XX
Physics 2XX (Last semester of physics, YES!)
Physics 2XX Lab
Physiology of Disease
Independent research

For a grand total of - 17 CH

Nothing.

I'm teaching Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics in the Sciences, 2 sections of Medical Ethics, and at least one graduate course on evidence-based medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research 4 units- last quarter to finish Thesis
Research Seminar- 2- need to take to get Honors
Realist and Impressionist Art History-4
Social and Political Commentary in Art
Turkish 2

Can you tell that I am a microbiology major:p

Scuba diving
Scuba diving lab
Evolution (need it to graduate)
Chem Senior seminar
Medical Ethics
Cell bio lab
Genetics lab

13 credits total, i wish i didnt have to take the labs, I hate labs, but i need them to graduate. :(. at least i am taking scuba diving :D

Scuba diving
Scuba diving lab
Evolution (need it to graduate)
Chem Senior seminar
Medical Ethics
Cell bio lab
Genetics lab

13 credits total, i wish i didnt have to take the labs, I hate labs, but i need them to graduate. :(. at least i am taking scuba diving :D

wow i didn't know they taught scuba diving. i guess being in florida has its pros haha.

next quarter i'm doing:

instrumental analysis
physical chem lab
economics of the environment
private guitar lessons

that's all. i'm doing a light course-load on purpose because of my band, work, and other ec's

Bio II
Phys II
Inorganic Chem II

I'm out of school, but I may end up taking statistics next semester. I didn't realize UC Irvine required it, so if I want to go there, I've got to take it :(

Organic Chemistry II and Lab
Physics I Lab
Political Science II (online course, thank goodness)
General Biochemistry I
History of Disease, Health, and Medicine in America

Looking forward to the last one most.

Junior:

Social Policy
Group and Community Interventions
Neuropsychology
Addictions
Learning (intersession course, counts told our Spring course load)
Gentics
Neuropsych research
Domestic violence research
Disability research
Senior thesis (though I'm a junior)
Drug Interactions (P/F)
25 credits

Also taking:
Child psychology research
Biomedical reseatrch
for no official credit
and
Violence/Disability Research for pay

I might see if I can take one of my credited research options for no credit and take graduate-level Family Therapy for credit instead.

my guess is it looks at the lives and contributions of influential people either in the US or the world.

The full title is Exceptional People in School and Society. The course focuses on the special needs of individuals with disabilities and other persons from diverse groups with regards to school and society.

Junior:

Social Policy
Neuropsychology
Addictions
Gentics
Neuropsych research
Disability research
Drug Interactions (P/F)
25 credits

Also taking:
Biomedical reseatrch
for no official credit
and

I might see if I can take one of my credited research options for no credit and take graduate-level Family Therapy for credit instead.

all right, looks like biogirl beat out chemdude for craziest schedule next semester... congratulations :thumbup:

as for me, a slightly saner load

O. chem I
O. Chem lab
Analytical chem
gen. physics II
calculus III
and some honors college thing...tutoring i think.

makes me look like a slacker to some of you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I never really understood people who take ridiculous course loads. Besides trying to squeeze stuff in to do something specil (study abroad, graduate early, make room for a light semester to study for the MCAT, etc) I see absolutely NO benefit to take more than 3 crazy science/math classes a semester.

I consistently took what many here would consider "light" to "very light" course loads and used my time to get A's in my classes, do research and other ec stuff, and enjoy down time. The difference between a 4.0 bpcm GPA and a 3.3 can be a matter of appropriate course selection imo.

And having been through the app process, I would say (strictly imo) that the value adcoms place on taking rigorous course loads is smaller than many would think. Rule of thumb: Take the classes in whatever order, scheduling as will allow you to get the best grade possible- that's what they're going to be looking at.

4th year research credit (breast cancer relating to PUFAs)
Sensation and Perception
Nature interpretation
Development of human sexuality
Dynamics of behaviour

-molecular pathology
-molecular diagnostics + lab
-clinical parasitology/virology/mycology + lab
-clinical correlations

last semester = :woot:

physical chem 2, analytical chem lab, discrete math, linear algebra, seminar. I was hoping to have an easy last semester, but nope.:shrug:

Junior:

Social Policy
Neuropsychology
Addictions
Gentics
Neuropsych research
Disability research
Drug Interactions (P/F)
25 credits

Also taking:
Biomedical reseatrch
for no official credit
and

No time for lallygagging.

all right, looks like biogirl beat out chemdude for craziest schedule next semester... congratulations :thumbup:

as for me, a slightly saner load

O. chem I
O. Chem lab
Analytical chem
gen. physics II
calculus III
and some honors college thing...tutoring i think.

makes me look like a slacker to some of you. :rolleyes:

once you take it out the research, I win. Come on....who counts research? I'm doing molecular genetics/anal chem research next semester :rolleyes:. I would be at 34 credit hours if we count research.

TAKE THAT BIOGIRL!

Pharmacology
Immunology
Microbio Lab
Physics 2
Prethesis
Honors Seminar
Pep Band

Last semester for me so I decided to take it easy...

Cell and Molecular Biology
Plant Morphology (needed to graduate)
Clinical Endocrinology
Broadway to Hollywood (basically musical theater history!)

Nothing too serious. I didn't become a pre-med until a semester ago.

German II
Gen. Chem. I w/Lab
Bio.II w/Lab
Statistics

once you take it out the research, I win. Come on....who counts research? I'm doing molecular genetics/anal chem research next semester :rolleyes:. I would be at 34 credit hours if we count research.

TAKE THAT BIOGIRL!

okay, okay...i don't mean to offend. besides, i have to side w/ the chemists whenever the bios v. chems come around... chemdude, you are officially the nuttiest scheduler for spring 09'

good job and good luck ! :thumbup::luck:

No, you wouldn't--unless you're doing 48 (34-18=16 x 3) hours of research a week... and my credit is capped by my university. I'd take more if I was allowed to.

okay, okay...i don't mean to offend. besides, i have to side w/ the chemists whenever the bios v. chems come around... chemdude, you are officially the nuttiest scheduler for spring 09'

good job and good luck ! :thumbup::luck:

Thank you :)

No, you wouldn't--unless you're doing 48 (34-18=16 x 3) hours of research a week... and my credit is capped by my university. I'd take more if I was allowed to.

Wow..you are like the female-bio version of me with a number(Chemdude<=>Biogirl215) :thumbup:

4 - Microbial Physiology 3XXX
4 - Genetics 3XXX
4 - General Chem 18XX
3 - Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare
3 - Intro to Chicano Studies (UG has a multicultural requirement =/ )

18 Credit hours total. Debating whether to apply to take 21 or not. I probably will and take Histology or Endocrinology. Maybe...
For whatever it's worth, Histology might have been the hardest undergraduate class I've taken. That or Immunology. (Both were harder than Organic.) This probably varies greatly with school, however.

For my final semester:
Biology of Cancer
Astronomy Beyond the Solar System
Abnormal Psychology
Intro to Health Care Systems
Evolution (will be dropped for a literature course if I get off the waitlist)

2nd semester Freshman:

Inorganic Chemistry II/ lab
General Biology II/lab
Pre-calculus
Elementary Spanish II
Citizenship (a learning through community service thing)

18 hours.

Differential Equations/Linear Algebra :)
Optics :cool:
Quantum Physics :confused:
Examining Women's Studies :love:

Orgo II----------3
Orgo II Lab------2
Physics I--------4
Physics lab------1
Social Problems--3
Int. Comp.-------3

grand total of 16 credits. whoohoo.

Physical Chemistry I
Biochemistry II
Calculus III
Pharmacology Research (Senior thesis stuff)