What are your dental practice hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marie19393

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious about general dentist office hours. Are they mostly Tuesday to Friday 9-5 or have some diversity?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious about general dentist office hours. Are they mostly Tuesday to Friday 9-5 or have some diversity?
It varies according to the position, what is offered, whether it's full time or part time and what the general dentist negotiates. I have worked varied days and hours. My best schedule that I've ever had was working Monday thru Thursday, 8-6, with Fridays off. Each time there was a holiday on Monday, I had a guaranteed four day weekend. WhooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It varies according to the position, what is offered, whether it's full time or part time and what the general dentist negotiates. I have worked varied days and hours. My best schedule that I've ever had was working Monday thru Thursday, 8-6, with Fridays off. Each time there was a holiday on Monday, I had a guaranteed four day weekend. WhooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha That schedule sounds amazing!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha That schedule sounds amazing!!!
Yes, it was amazing and I am in the process of negotiating the same schedule for an upcoming new job as well. With that type of schedule, you really keep balance and you enjoy life and it keeps you from getting burned out. That's why I love dentistry. You have SO much flexibility to work as much as you want!

Yes, it was amazing and I am in the process of negotiating the same schedule for an upcoming new job as well. With that type of schedule, you really keep balance and you enjoy life and it keeps you from getting burned out. That's why I love dentistry. You have SO much flexibility to work as much as you want!

Yes! This reassures me that dentistry is the right path for me! Do you want to own your dental practice one day or do you prefer working as an associate?

I work Sundays through Thursday, 8:30 to 6, and sometimes I take days off for long weekends so other weeks I work 6 days to make up the days. Pretty chill I think, and very flexible hours and vacation times.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! This reassures me that dentistry is the right path for me! Do you want to own your dental practice one day or do you prefer working as an associate?
No desires anymore for my own practice. I have always worked as a Staff Dentist and not an Associate. I am actually moving toward teaching full time. I have spent many years in Public Health, Community Dentistry and working in hospital settings.

I practice in the Southeast as an OS. Pretty competitive in my region so to stay busy I'm Monday through Friday doing the itinerant thing. Sometimes splitting AM and PM between 2 offices, as early as 730a and as late as 730p. This is my 6th yr in practice, plan on slowing down in the next 2 - 3 years to more regular hours hopefully between a few offices and my own.
Friends with some of the GPs in my offices - their hours are usually 9-5 Monday through Friday with selected Saturdays 8-12 or 1 to pick up some extra dough.

Summer hours 7-3 M-TTH, no lunch (June 1-Sept 1). Otherwise 7-4 M-TH, with 1 hr lunch. I do a lot of volunteer stuff on Fridays (school sealant program, veterens, etc), but also use Fridays for my big cases or surgical cases on site that I don't have to break away for hygiene.

Reactions: 1 users
Summer hours 7-3 M-TTH, no lunch (June 1-Sept 1). Otherwise 7-4 M-TH, with 1 hr lunch. I do a lot of volunteer stuff on Fridays (school sealant program, veterens, etc), but also use Fridays for my big cases or surgical cases on site that I don't have to break away for hygiene.
I work Monday thru Thursday 8-5. Friday's are either 7:30 to 12 in office ,,or in the OR ( operating room ) 7am to about 3pm ( 50/50 ) I am a pediatric dentist , so Friday's are usually the days I am in the OR.

I take off for long weekends or vacations whenever I desire. Usually 3 weeks a year ( vacation ) plus 3-4 long 4-5 day weekends a few times a year. As a practice owner, I can take off or vacation the times I want. Only caveat is time taking off means not producing money for the practice. A vacation is usually 2-3 times mores expensive in terms of time taken off vs the price of the vacation. It worth it though. You have to live life and enjoy your time off and on vacation. Owning your own practice dos make it much easier in designing your own life schedule. I can't imagine working as a MD and being controlled by the hospital or corp you work for. In dentistry we are still
Relatively free from the corp control that medicine is now dealing with. At liest,for now as far as a I now see .

Thank you everyone! I was very curious about dental practices hours and now I know more about it. I hope to have my own some day!

Thank you everyone! I was very curious about dental practices hours and now I know more about it. I hope to have my own some day!

Thank you for making this thread!

I work Monday thru Thursday 8-5. Friday's are either 7:30 to 12 in office ,,or in the OR ( operating room ) 7am to about 3pm ( 50/50 ) I am a pediatric dentist , so Friday's are usually the days I am in the OR.

How many cases do you do each Friday? This sounds like an amazing schedule.

At my old practice we worked from 7am to 6pm. 1 hour lunch. We'd work for 4 days and every other week we would have a 4 day weekend.

I practice Monday to Saturday 9 am to 5 pm, but we have to adjust time schedule according to the appointments

"Pretty competitive" as an oral surgeon? Would have thought that specialty conferred the freedom to work less if you worked in a private practice setting.
nah, everyone thinks they are an "oral surgeon" down here.
Eat what you kill.

Thank you for making this thread!

How many cases do you do each Friday? This sounds like an amazing schedule.

I usually do 4 cases ( done by 2:30 to 3:30 ) ,,, sometimes 3 cases ( done by 12:30 or 1pm )if I have things to do or places I need to go .
Some Friday's are off,,,, sometimes I am in the office till 12:00. Do usually 2 Friday's a month in the OR, 1-2 fridays in the office a month. About 1 time a month I do a Monday or Tuesday OR day ( done again by 2:30 or 3) doing 4 cases. Those days it's nice do get done early ( especially in the spring/summer).
Other days in the office ( mon - Thursday ) 7:30 to 5pm). I take off a bunch of Friday's and Monday's for long week ends . It's nice to be able to create your own schedule and to decide when you want to take off ( a big perk of dentistry and being an owner of your own practice ).