What at chances st my desired programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldRedditGuy

Reaction score
Edit: This was supposed to be the title to my question: What are chances at my desired programs?

I guess there was an issue with autocorrect haha. It won't let me change it.

What's up, SDN?! So, I'm new here. Brand new. I was directed here through the premed subreddit forums of Reddit (hence my name haha), and admittedly, I didn't even know this site existed. Now, like many others out there, I am wondering if you can help gauge my chances at some programs I am interested in based on my stats.

Well, here are my stats.

•Degrees Awarded:
-Bachelor's of Science in Physics
(Focus was in Materials Science)
-Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry
(Focus was in Biochemistry)

•Institution Info:
-Overall GPA: 3.62
-BCPM GPA: 3.58
-Major GPA: 3.83
-Last 4 years institutional GPA: 3.91

Admittedly, I screwed up a lot in community college, and it reflects in my overall and BCPM GPAs. However, I obviously improved greatly later on. I even took 5 5000 level chemistry and physics courses in my last year, and I aced them.

•Test Scores:
-MCAT Score: 525 (100th Percentile)

•Extracurriculars, Volunteer Work, & Clinical Experience:

-Member of the National Biomedical Engineering Society.
-2.5 years of clinical volunteer work.
-6 month physician shadow internship + 4 months as a medical scribe.
-1 year clinical research internship.
-4 years of volunteer work at the Humane Society

•Research Experience:
-Wrote, defended, and published an original Senior Honors Thesis.
-Conducted independent research for a year and a half. (This does include my Honors Thesis research.)
-Conducted 6 months of directed research.
-University of Rochester Summer Scholar
-SURF Fellowship Recipient.
-1 Poster, 1 Publication (Library - Honors Thesis)

Now, here are some programs I am shooting for.

Yale University, Mayo Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, Northwestern University, University of Colorado Denver, University of Virginia, University of Minnesota, Tufts University, University of South Florida, & Duke.

I know this was a lot, but please let me know what you guys think! If you have any advice for, I am all ears!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If this is real, you have a shot at any and every school. What is your state of residence - Minnesota? Make sure to apply to all of your state schools.

If this is real, you have a shot at any and every school. What is your state of residence - Minnesota? Make sure to apply to all of your state schools.

Awesome to hear! It's real haha. I honestly think I just got insanely lucky with my MCAT to push me over the edge. I didn't think I'd score that well, and my jaw dropped when I saw it. My state of residence is Florida (hence why I've got USF in there). I'd include Miami, but I've got no interest in living there. I don't think I'd be happy in that location. Is this way of thinking incorrect?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to all your Florida state schools. Then you can add any OOS schools that appeal to you.
Will do then! Though, I much prefer to get the heck out of Florida haha

Edit: This was supposed to be the title to my question: What are chances at my desired programs?

I guess there was an issue with autocorrect haha. It won't let me change it.

What's up, SDN?! So, I'm new here. Brand new. I was directed here through the premed subreddit forums of Reddit (hence my name haha), and admittedly, I didn't even know this site existed. Now, like many others out there, I am wondering if you can help gauge my chances at some programs I am interested in based on my stats.

Well, here are my stats.

•Degrees Awarded:
-Bachelor's of Science in Physics
(Focus was in Materials Science)
-Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry
(Focus was in Biochemistry)

•Institution Info:
-Overall GPA: 3.62
-BCPM GPA: 3.58
-Major GPA: 3.83
-Last 4 years institutional GPA: 3.91

Admittedly, I screwed up a lot in community college, and it reflects in my overall and BCPM GPAs. However, I obviously improved greatly later on. I even took 5 5000 level chemistry and physics courses in my last year, and I aced them.

•Test Scores:
-MCAT Score: 525 (100th Percentile)

•Extracurriculars, Volunteer Work, & Clinical Experience:

-Member of the National Biomedical Engineering Society.
-2.5 years of clinical volunteer work.
-6 month physician shadow internship + 4 months as a medical scribe.
-1 year clinical research internship.
-4 years of volunteer work at the Humane Society

•Research Experience:
-Wrote, defended, and published an original Senior Honors Thesis.
-Conducted independent research for a year and a half. (This does include my Honors Thesis research.)
-Conducted 6 months of directed research.
-University of Rochester Summer Scholar
-SURF Fellowship Recipient.
-1 Poster, 1 Publication (Library - Honors Thesis)

Now, here are some programs I am shooting for.

Yale University, Mayo Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, Northwestern University, University of Colorado Denver, University of Virginia, University of Minnesota, Tufts University, University of South Florida, & Duke.

I know this was a lot, but please let me know what you guys think! If you have any advice for, I am all ears!
Chances of acceptance are 100% on you. BUT, chances of getting IIs are good. I suggest:
Columbia
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
ALL FL schools

Chances of acceptance are 100% on you. BUT, chances of getting IIs are good. I suggest:
Columbia
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
ALL FL schools
Getting IIs?

Also, funny enough, several of the schools you listed are already on my list such as Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UChicago, UPenn, Case, and the ones I mention in my OP. I didn't list any California schools, for I have heard by several people that getting into a California medical school is nearly impossible as an OOS applicant.

Getting IIs?

Also, funny enough, several of the schools you listed are already on my list such as Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UChicago, UPenn, Case, and the ones I mention in my OP. I didn't list any California schools, for I have heard by several people that getting into a California medical school is nearly impossible as an OOS applicant.
IIs = interview invites. SDNese, there.

A 525 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at. Of the CA schools, UCSF, Keck, Stanford and UCSD do not favor IS vs OOS, but UCI, UCR and UCD do. UCLA only accepts 0.5% of OOS, so that why I left them off the list.

IIs = interview invites. SDNese, there.

A 525 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at. Of the CA schools, UCSF, Keck, Stanford and UCSD do not favor IS vs OOS, but UCI, UCR and UCD do. UCLA only accepts 0.5% of OOS, so that why I left them off the list.
Good to know. Could I apply that same logic to Baylor? Another factor I used in keeping any California schools off of my list was the insane cost of living over there.

Yup. Baylor also has a 0.5% rate for OOSers.
This is a bit off topic from my original question, but it stemmed from our conversation. Out of curiosity, how do med students afford the insane costs of living if they attend schools in places like Boston, New York, & LA? Do they do everything through loans? If so, that just seems completely unreasonable.

This is a bit off topic from my original question, but it stemmed from our conversation. Out of curiosity, how do med students afford the insane costs of living if they attend schools in places like Boston, New York, & LA? Do they do everything through loans? If so, that just seems completely unreasonable.
Loans, loans and more loans. Except those students who rely on mom and dad. There are a lot of doctor's kids in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Loans, loans and more loans. Except those students who rely on mom and dad. There are a lot of doctor's kids in med school.
Perhaps you could alleviate me on some of these matters? Aside from Direct Graduate Plus and Stafford Graduate Loans, are there any other federal loan options for grad students or are the rest private loans?