What biology classes to take before the new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor1325

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have three more biology classes to take before graduating... I have to choose which (if any) to take before the MCAT and which I should postpone to senior year (as to allow a minimum credit load junior year for extracurricular MCAT prep, like practice tests and the such).
I'll be fine in the chemistry and biochemistry areas, as that's my major and I have a bunch of required courses there to take. I've taken cellular biology with an introduction to DNA and genetics, and I've taken anatomy with an introduction to physiological systems.

The three remaining biology courses are DNA and Genetics, Human Physiology, and Medical Microbiology. Are any of these three hit hard on the new MCAT to the point where I'd want a whole class for them, or would it be better to take easy (core-required) classes junior year as to allow studying time?
If you had to prioritize, what would be the top priority and what would be the bottom priority?

Thanks for your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. I wouldn't take any of the three courses you really won't need the detail that they go into. The one that may help the most would be Human Physiology as there are definitely many topics that will coincide. However if you prep properly, you could save so much more time if you just use the practice books (any company) rather than take a whole class on this, especially if you've already taken anatomy and biology etc.

tldr; don't take the extra classes just for the mcat prep it's not worth.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have 3 courses left and will eventually end up taking all 3, take Human Physiology first. I was surprised by how helpful my Physiology course was for the MCAT. But I agree with the above poster, do not take the class simply because it might help you on the MCAT. There are far better reasons to learn information. If you’ll end up taking it eventually anyways, go ahead and take it now.

physio first but i agree more with @SpectreDoc saying to basically board review with board review courses and materials since they focus on high yield testable material.

Reactions: 1 users
Med Micro is not even going to be covered on the MCAT. Intro to Genetics is more than sufficient for the MCAT, your DNA and Genetics course is probably overkill.

I really would recommend that if you have to take 1, do Human Physiology. It's not at all necessary, but a LOT of the bio passages have physiology themes to them, and being comfortable with the jargon and general processes can alleviate some of the small stresses when you read a passage about it on your exam.