What can I do over the summer to improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeginAgain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, non-traditional post-bac here.
I'm wondering at this point if I'm too late in applying for summer programs to either volunteer at a hospital or find a research opportunity, because all seem to have had their application deadlines set.
What are some opportunities that I can find to do over the summer at this point for someone with minimal experience and just started on the pre med path.
I'm in NYC if that matters.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You could always shadow a physician or volunteer in a non-medical capacity. I don't know where you are in your pre-med journey, but whatever you end up doing during the summer make sure you do it with a focused mindset. Almost anything can be tied back to "why medicine" with enough creativity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cofounded a NYC based non-profit that collects prescription eye glasses and donates them to organizations that go on abroad mission trips. For more info go to www.communityeyereach.org or PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind working without pay, you could email professors at a university or medical school in NYC to do research with them for the summer. A lot of the formal research internship programs that offer a stipend have already closed their applications at this point. The application process/cycle for hospital volunteer programs is highly variable, depending on the program. Pick a few hospitals you'd be interested in volunteering at and check out their application process/timeline.

You could also email physicians to ask them to shadow or volunteer with a medical/community service organization. Since you're just starting your pre-med journey, having some clinical exposure or research would be a good experience for the summer.