What class should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shilpa1125

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm (FINALLY) done with my lower div pre-med requirements, and right now I'm just taking whatever I feel like taking. I remember my guidance counselor at one point telling me to always take BIO classes every semester I could. Well, I'm wondering how well that holds? I'm not a bio major and I'm done with all my requirements for my major, and now I'm just taking whatever I feel like for the next year. I'm choosing between a Bio class right now (evolution or a nervous system course) or a sociology class on religion and society. I'd rather take the second just because I have four more years of bio waiting for me if I get into med school but is taking bio electives preferred? I am signed up for biochemistry right now so I do have one science course this coming semester.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm (FINALLY) done with my lower div pre-med requirements, and right now I'm just taking whatever I feel like taking. I remember my guidance counselor at one point telling me to always take BIO classes every semester I could. Well, I'm wondering how well that holds? I'm not a bio major and I'm done with all my requirements for my major, and now I'm just taking whatever I feel like for the next year. I'm choosing between a Bio class right now (evolution or a nervous system course) or a sociology class on religion and society. I'd rather take the second just because I have four more years of bio waiting for me if I get into med school but is taking bio electives preferred? I am signed up for biochemistry right now so I do have one science course this coming semester.

Thanks.

Ok, make sure you've taken all the med school pre-reqs. I'd go ahead and take biochem and the sociology class then.

As long as you're getting your pre-reqs covered and you're showing committment to medicine with your ECs, there's no reason you can't be well rounded in the classes you take.

Thanks! I always felt like that advice went against my intuition with everything you always hear about wanting applicants to be well rounded, but I wasn't sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also been told taking Immunology if it's available to you is good to have for when you actually go to medical school. Even moreso would be Human Physiology.

I think you should also look into some finance classes... At my school I took a class called Health Economics which was fantastic. If there is something like that, look into it. One of the huge weaknesses about doctors is that we don't know **** about markets or money and what to do with it. So my advice... learn while you have time.

Take MCB and Biochem. At some schools, those are requirements.

just do your prereqs...

my premed advisor told me once that taking courses like immunology and physiology in undergrad for med school was silly because they teach it differently in med school, and they may treat certain concepts differently.

Plus you're not going to remember it. You can argue that the brain maps out info that's easier to recall in the future when you relearn things, but whatever, that's not worth passing up a course that you might enjoy when all your prereqs are done with.

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. I have one year left so for the first semester I'm going to take whatever I want and just finish my upper div requirements, and then for the second semester I'll try to take another bio. Thanks for the responses!

just do your prereqs...

my premed advisor told me once that taking courses like immunology and physiology in undergrad for med school was silly because they teach it differently in med school, and they may treat certain concepts differently.

Plus you're not going to remember it. You can argue that the brain maps out info that's easier to recall in the future when you relearn things, but whatever, that's not worth passing up a course that you might enjoy when all your prereqs are done with.

I have to disagree. I took a physiology course in UG and felt like it helped immensly. Most of my non-science major friends had the hardest time in physio...

Physiology also helps a great deal w/ the MCAT...