What classes did you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am wondering what classes all of you took in your undergrad education. I am taking the sequence of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. What other classes did you take relevant to dental school (such as cell biology, humanities, economics)? Also, my school is in a quarter system and they only offer 2 organic chemistry classes and I know some schools require three quarters, did any of you have a problem with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry, Cell Biology, and I am finding Animal Physiology interesting right now. Biochemistry is a must

I have done all the required pre reqs, bio 1&2, gen chem 1&2, o chem 1&2, biochem 1( biochem 2 is next semester) physics 1&2 a year and a half of organic chemistry research for credit. I took a natural disasters class that was really cool. I can't say which are relevant to the DAT or dental school because I haven't done either lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember a few schools required intro psych. and definitely take english. microbio is a good one, anatomy was required by a few schools as well (I specifically remember these courses because i didnt attend an interview over them..). So just make sure you take all the courses you need to go to the schools you plan to apply to.

I go to the UW (hopefully you're familiar with the school, since your name implies you're from Seattle) and aside from the general prereqs most schools require, I'm taking microbiology and biochemistry. Not only does the UW dental school require these classes, but I actually feel that they're solidifying my knowledge gained from taking the general biology series, which I find very helpful because biology is not my strong point. Could be very helpful on the biology portion of the DAT.
(And as for your organic chem question, the UW offers two different O-chem series, one that is 2 quarters and one that is 3 quarters long. Maybe your school might have the same offerings? Sorry, I'm not much help here).

So far, I took cell bio, zoo, physio, micro, and bio 1. These classes seemed to help for the dat bio section. I feel that anatomy could have helped as well.

Y3nd0 I live in Seattle. I was planning on taking science classes during the summer at UW but a friend told me that they are very challenging at the UW. But I get opposite viewpoints. Someone told me that they curve grades at UW which makes it possible to get an A. Let me know what your experience is. Most likely I will take physics, if I do :)

Is bio 1 same as the first sequence of the biology series? BIO I, BIO II, and BIO III in my school

Y3nd0 I live in Seattle. I was planning on taking science classes during the summer at UW but a friend told me that they are very challenging at the UW. But I get opposite viewpoints. Someone told me that they curve grades at UW which makes it possible to get an A. Let me know what your experience is. Most likely I will take physics, if I do :)

I'm taking summer classes at the UW! :p (Sorry, I just find it very fascinating that you could be walking on the same campus in the summer. xP).

I ain't gonna lie, some classes can be challenging, and it definitely depends on your professor. Some classes are "curved" and some are curved.
What I mean by that is the biology courses are "curved". They take the top 5% scores and average it, making it the new 100%. And they set 50% of the total points as a failing grade. You can score anywhere in between that and no matter how the rest of the class does, you get the grade you get (meaning almost everyone can get a 4.0 or 3.9). They'll tell you the class isn't curved, but it is. They just curve it in their own way.
And some classes are curved in the traditional sense, where the average score is set to a specific grade point value. E.g. the average is set to a 2.7.
Physics and chemistry grades are curved, and I believe the average is set to a 2.7+/- 0.2. To me, physics wasn't as difficult as biology or chemistry (could be because I took the algebra based physics).

And of course, "challenging" is very subjective. What's challenging to me or your friend can be really easy for you. It's possible to get an A in most courses if you work really hard. You can always try taking a course to see what it's like... I'm sure if you work hard, it won't hurt.

Hope that helped! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

microbiology, genetics, biochemistry, anatomy (w/ lab), physiology (w/ lab), neurobiology, immunology

Aside from all the replies pertaining to science courses, it wouldn't hurt to take classes in the humanities to help expand your mindset with the real world. If you have the room, Ethnic Studies, Sociology, and Communications (interpersonal or public speaking) would all be good additional courses. Don't forget business courses to give you an upper hand when/if you decide to start a practice.

Y3nd0.
Thanks for your reply. I will then take a class during the summer. I am a Seattle University students where the average class has 15 students :) We do not curve at Seattle U so I always wondered how that works. Thanks for clarifying. I always score in the top of my class so I think I will be good. If you dont mind asking. What classes are you taking this summer?

For the other posts. I am majoring in Economics, I believe that gives me a strong foundation in another field. Besides my economics classes I have taken Poverty in America, English I & II ( writing and masterpiece of literature), business communications, philosophy 100 and 200 level, theology 200 level, history, a full year of foreign language plus a 300 level Latin American culture class in Spanish, environmental science, fine arts, financial accounting, managerial accounting, advanced algebra, business calculus, stats I for business. And will take as part of the SU core: Stats II business, theology 300 level, Philosiphy 300 level business ethics, a social science 200 level. I believe that is a strong multidisciplinary foundation. Plus my Econ classes I think I'm good in the non-science area.

Excuse me for any typos, I typed it from my cell phone

Y3nd0.
Thanks for your reply. I will then take a class during the summer. I am a Seattle University students where the average class has 15 students :) We do not curve at Seattle U so I always wondered how that works. Thanks for clarifying. I always score in the top of my class so I think I will be good. If you dont mind asking. What classes are you taking this summer?

I'll be taking Biol 118 - physiology, English 200 - Literature, and Chem 452 - P. chem for biochemists.

If you always score at the top of your class, I'm sure you will do fine! :) Good luck!

I saw the class was offered during the summer but it says that it is for non-science majors, so I do not think it is an "acceptable" class. I am talking of BIOL 118.

I saw the class was offered during the summer but it says that it is for non-science majors, so I do not think it is an "acceptable" class. I am talking of BIOL 118.

Do you mean not acceptable for dental schools? I'm mainly taking this class for admissions to ASDOH (and of course, to learn). The class that they want is "human physiology". That is what the course description says this class is about. The next physiology class they offer is Biol 350, which is animal and plant physiology for biological majors.

If what you're saying is correct, then only science majors may apply to ASDOH.

My school had 2 quarter terms of Ochem lecture and 1 term of Ochem lab. It worked out fine for me...just make sure you have lab in there because it's required.

As far as other classes I wouldn't stray too far from the requirements (requirements can be found at a particular schools website). Biochemistry and cell bio are really good ones. Genetics possibly.

If you're concerned about the DAT then it's important to realize that most of the stuff you need to know will be specified when the time arises. Instead of taking random classes to prepare just take classes you'll like. A diverse background is almost more important now a days...you see a lot of spanish minors, art minors, community service inclined people, travelers, experience in leadership types, etc getting interviews.

If you're concerned about being ready for dental school classes I'll stick to my above advice. Don't go overboard beyond the requirements. Although I haven't enrolled yet, there have been plenty before me that just did the requirements and got through fine. Once you get into a school it will be really tough and stressful but not too many fail out.

I was a biology major and I thought it was overkill. Courses like Parasitology, upper botany, etc all bogged my sGPA down. I've watched numerous general science majors get in and for the most part they had it much easier. At my school anyway.

Excel in your required classes and find a way to stick out from the crowd, that's my advice!

Neuroscience I&II
Cell Biology
Animal Physiology
Medical Bacteriology
A&P I&II
Histology
BioChem I&II
Genetics

Additionally, an entire engineering degree.:(

Most people took more classes than the basic prerequisites :( I guess I am at a big disadvantage