What Comes Next? SMP vs DIY Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prairiemusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I had a very rough finish to my degree (although those circumstances have now been resolved) and am now looking at a 3.00 cGPA and 2.90 sGPA (with a 516 MCAT). I've finished all the prerequisites except for Orgo II and I'm planning to substitute Biochem for that, but I'm open to taking Orgo. ECs are meh - I'm low on clinical and have no research. I am now planning to take two gap years and apply in the 2020 cycle.

Clearly further education is in order, I'm just not sure what kind and when. Should I try to cobble together an application for SMPs for the fall? Then I would have the whole program on my application. Or should I take a year off and work and apply for med school while doing the SMP next year? Also, is there typically time during an SMP for beefing up extracurriculars? Should I prioritize improving my academics over improving my ECs, or are they a lost cause at this point?

On the other hand, an SMP is expensive and risky and I'm already enrolled as a non-degree student at my local four-year. I could just take upper level Bio there during the year, finish Orgo II, and improve my ECs. I'd also like to have at least one year where I'm not in classes to recharge before med school - is this feasible?

Finally, do I have a shot at DO schools this or next cycle? Would it make more sense financially to go that route? As always, any advice is appreciated. I'd especially like to hear from @Goro but I'm sure you're busy around this time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends,

I had a very rough finish to my degree (although those circumstances have now been resolved) and am now looking at a 3.00 cGPA and 2.90 sGPA (with a 516 MCAT). I've finished all the prerequisites except for Orgo II and I'm planning to substitute Biochem for that, but I'm open to taking Orgo. ECs are meh - I'm low on clinical and have no research. I am now planning to take two gap years and apply in the 2020 cycle.

Clearly further education is in order, I'm just not sure what kind and when. Should I try to cobble together an application for SMPs for the fall? Then I would have the whole program on my application. Or should I take a year off and work and apply for med school while doing the SMP next year? Also, is there typically time during an SMP for beefing up extracurriculars? Should I prioritize improving my academics over improving my ECs, or are they a lost cause at this point?

On the other hand, an SMP is expensive and risky and I'm already enrolled as a non-degree student at my local four-year. I could just take upper level Bio there during the year, finish Orgo II, and improve my ECs. I'd also like to have at least one year where I'm not in classes to recharge before med school - is this feasible?

Finally, do I have a shot at DO schools this or next cycle? Would it make more sense financially to go that route? As always, any advice is appreciated. I'd especially like to hear from @Goro but I'm sure you're busy around this time!
Don't bother applying to med school until after you ace that SMP. Merely being IN an SMP isn't going to impress anyone.

At this point, salvaging your academics is of the highest priority.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
Don't bother applying to med school until after you ace that SMP. Merely being IN an SMP isn't going to impress anyone.

At this point, salvaging your academics is of the highest priority.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Thanks for the reply! That makes a lot of sense - some of the programs are saying to apply to med school while you do them and I don't understand it. Would you advise an SMP for me over a DIY Postbac then?

Thanks for the reply! That makes a lot of sense - some of the programs are saying to apply to med school while you do them and I don't understand it. Would you advise an SMP for me over a DIY Postbac then?
I personally lean to SMPs, since they are back doors to the host med school.

Reactions: 1 user