What constitutes nonclincal volunteering???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waynerooney1994

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was watching a youtube video about the format of the primary application for AMCAS and I've realized that what I thought was nonclinical volunteering probably isn't. In the work/activities section of the application, they have a section for nonclinical volunteering and a section for TA/tutoring. Most of the things on my application that I thought was nonclinical actually would fit in the TA/tutoring (not talking about TAing a class but like tutoring at disadvantaged middle school, tutoring and mentoring at elementary schools, mentoring high school students in college applications etc...). If I put them in that section then my nonclinical hours would be like 30. What should I do? Should I pick up something else at the risk of being labelled a box checker (applying this June)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can move some things around in your application as you see fit. If it makes sense for it to be in both, you can pick one of them. I think AMCAS wants TA/tutoring more at the college level or paid experiences, but I could be wrong. You can always call and ask. I would err on the side of your comfort level. If you think it is nonclinical volunteering and can write it as such, then go for it. If you would rather have it as TA/tutoring, then go for.

One university I applied to and got rejected pre interview told me that they really look for some sort of teaching experience, TA, tutoring, coaching, etc. I would personally put the tutoring in the TA box and the mentoring in the nonclinical box. But again, depends on you and how you want to phrase you application. You aren't going to get dinged if you put it in one box over the other based on principle. The organization of your application just makes it easier for ADCOMS to sort through all of your excellent exerpeinces.

You can move some things around in your application as you see fit. If it makes sense for it to be in both, you can pick one of them. I think AMCAS wants TA/tutoring more at the college level or paid experiences, but I could be wrong. You can always call and ask. I would err on the side of your comfort level. If you think it is nonclinical volunteering and can write it as such, then go for it. If you would rather have it as TA/tutoring, then go for.

One university I applied to and got rejected pre interview told me that they really look for some sort of teaching experience, TA, tutoring, coaching, etc. I would personally put the tutoring in the TA box and the mentoring in the nonclinical box. But again, depends on you and how you want to phrase you application. You aren't going to get dinged if you put it in one box over the other based on principle. The organization of your application just makes it easier for ADCOMS to sort through all of your excellent exerpeinces.

That makes sense thanks so much!

If you were providing time/effort in a voluntary capacity (ie without pay) for students below your level, it is a community service and nonclinical volunteering. If you were paid to TA or mentor students, it would be employment. If you were a TA for a class in college it would teaching

Is it bad if that tutoring and mentoring is the majority of my nonclinical (I have 5 separate tutoring activities that qualify for your definition of nonclinical volunteering)? I hardly have anything like working in a soup kitchen or habitat for humanity because I really like tutoring/mentoring and helping younger people.

My Jewish mother gives me two new shirts for my birthday, a red one and a blue one
So to show her my appreciation, I put on the blue shirt to take her to dinner
My mother sees me come down from upstairs and says
"What'sa matter? You didnt like the red one?
"

Its terrible, awful, and painful. I mean reading about your neurosis about your tutoring EC. You have the same fear as the joke above. If you really have a passion for mentoring, and you have done alot of it, its a good thing. It shows motivation, commitment and achievement .

BTW, the old joke above is usually told with 2 new ties but I changed it to shirts cause it really happened to me.

Well I am a neurotic premed :). Thanks!