What counts as adversity? (Help choosing a direction)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to think of what to write for my adversity essay. The example I had originally written about was from early childhood, which I know can be a risky move. Any feedback about the following topics would be much appreciated! I have been staring at my secondaries for the past three weeks and am feeling the stress.

1. My grandfather passed away while I was in college. Before then, I visited him in the hospital and in hospice. Honestly, the worst part was not his passing, but was fighting with my mom, who thought I was callous for not mourning him properly (my grandfather and I were not very close, so while I was sad to see him suffering, there was a personal disconnect). The experience taught me to make allowances for grief and also to wallow in regret about what I could not change (i.e. not getting to know him better).
2. I was bullied by the same girl for six years from elementary to middle school. She would be my best friend some weeks and get all of my friends ostracize me other weeks. I spent a lot of time basing my self-worth on other's evaluation of me and it took me a long time to finally have the guts to walk away and be confident in my own beliefs. This was pretty fundamental to my growth as a person, but it may not translate well onto paper.

I have other examples of adversity, but since I did not actually surmount them, I don't want to write about them.

*Let me know if I am posting in the wrong place (first time making a thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am trying to think of what to write for my adversity essay. The example I had originally written about was from early childhood, which I know can be a risky move. Any feedback about the following topics would be much appreciated! I have been staring at my secondaries for the past three weeks and am feeling the stress.

1. My grandfather passed away while I was in college. Before then, I visited him in the hospital and in hospice. Honestly, the worst part was not his passing, but was fighting with my mom, who thought I was callous for not mourning him properly (my grandfather and I were not very close, so while I was sad to see him suffering, there was a personal disconnect). The experience taught me to make allowances for grief and also to wallow in regret about what I could not change (i.e. not getting to know him better).
2. I was bullied by the same girl for six years from elementary to middle school. She would be my best friend some weeks and get all of my friends ostracize me other weeks. I spent a lot of time basing my self-worth on other's evaluation of me and it took me a long time to finally have the guts to walk away and be confident in my own beliefs. This was pretty fundamental to my growth as a person, but it may not translate well onto paper.

I have other examples of adversity, but since I did not actually surmount them, I don't want to write about them.

*Let me know if I am posting in the wrong place (first time making a thread)

Because the perspective of children can be very different from those as adults, I strongly urge people NOT to write about bad things from childhood. Example 1 is fine.

Thank you for the feedback! I actually like the paragraph I just wrote on the first one better, so that's good.

Also, Goro, one more question regarding the timing of secondaries. I know the LizzyM heuristic is to have them in before Labor Day. However, if I got my secondaries the first full week of July, will medical schools look down on me if I take to the end of this month to finish (aka 3+ weeks)? Thanks again!

*This is for schools that did not give a firm two week or 30 day deadline.

Because the perspective of children can be very different from those as adults, I strongly urge people NOT to write about bad things from childhood. Example 1 is fine.

Hey Goro. How about things from when we were young that really shape who you are? Like losing parents, raising siblings, or learning English as a second language.

The perspective of children IS very different. But many things shape who you are and your values.

As an undergrad, I def shifted my goals. But not much changed in light of who I am, what I believe in, and what is important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile