What courses to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in Bio 111, which apparently at my school is only one semester. What should I take next semester? Most medical schools require Biology with 1 year of lab. These classes listed here, have lab's associated with them.. which one would make the most sense? And If I take one of these courses over 1 semester, will this ultimately fulfill my Biology requirement, or should I take more bio classes sophomore year?

BIO 200 Evolutionary Biology

BIO 201 Cell Biology

BIO 203 General Physiology

BIO 205 Fundamentals of Biological Chemistry

BIO 319 Genetics

Members don't see this ad.

Take whichever course you have interest in and will do the best in. Have you taken any physio class yet? If not- I would take 203 if I were you.

You'll need Cell Bio at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my unbiased opinion as someone who majored in Evolutionary Biology and Zoology, I say take 200

Well some one posted to this to my forum, and I'm not sure...

1) AAMC guidelines, which are general and mostly designed for MCAT prep https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf
This is usually designed around the typical full year Introductory Bio class. Most applicants find that additional courses above this are needed to give a solid foundation for MCAT.

2) Specific Medical School requirements. Many medical schools state introductory Bio I/II with labs as prerequisite. So have Bio I with an advanced Bio may not
satisfy this requirement and you would not be able to matriculate at that school.

Finish your intro course this semester and then take Cell Bio to fulfill the minimum requirements. Then add Physiology if your GPA can handle it, or Evolutionary for an easier BCPM.

Finish your intro course this semester and then take Cell Bio to fulfill the minimum requirements. Then add Physiology if your GPA can handle it, or Evolutionary for an easier BCPM.

Thank you, I will follow that plan.

Reactions: 1 user