What Criteria do you use to RANK your programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's almost that time of the year where we all submit our rank lists...how is everyone deciphering thru the programs?

What's important to you?

Clinical training? Education? Fellowships? Location? Benefits? Etc?

Can you see yourself working at a program where you'll get good clinical training but you really hate the location?

Can you see yourself working at a program where the location is ideal but the clinical training is not the best?

This is a decision that sets up the rest of your life....

Members don't see this ad.

-Quality of clinical training, which also incorporates fellowship placement
-Benefits relative to local cost-of-living (I'm not rich, so the little things really add up)
-Location (this can be remedied during fellowship training)

Its all in the name, baby. If I drop it at the bar can I pick up chicks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its all in the name, baby. If I drop it at the bar can I pick up chicks?

The more relevant question is "would you want to pick up those chicks?"

Of course, as soon as you tell them that you work 80 hours a week and make $45K a year, most of them will bail anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

thats why u gotta go to the place with the hottest girls

Can you see yourself working at a program where you'll get good clinical training but you really hate the location?
No
Can you see yourself working at a program where the location is ideal but the clinical training is not the best?
No

It's almost that time of the year where we all submit our rank lists...how is everyone deciphering thru the programs?

What's important to you?

Clinical training? Education? Fellowships? Location? Benefits? Etc?
For me it's all about a vague sense of happiness. I want to be in a program that I'd be proud to be part of, happy that it will help me get to where I'm going in both skills, knowledge, and opportunities, and a place that where I actually want to live. I feel fortunate that I've seen a number of places that meet those criteria, though some more than others.

Of course, as soon as you tell them that you work 80 hours a week and make $45K a year, most of them will bail anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Thanks for destroying my fantasy! :thumbdown:

:laugh: :laugh:

I went by PD height.

this is the formula:

"salary"*cute nurses I saw on my interview day
/(distance from my grandmother's house)^2*amount of slides in pd's ppt presentation+number of residents with shaved heads

bonus points: number of residents getting sloshed at the interview dinner the day before ^ 2.5

LanceArmstrong - LOL :laugh:

The applicants don't factor into your equation somewhere? Entertain me.